Break job parts advice on 97 GMC Sierra 1500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1997 Sierra half ton 4x4 needs front breaks. My friend is an ASE master mechanic and is going to help me out for free. He uses NAPA parts and can get them for me at a pretty good discount. What are NAPA's better offerings as far as pads and rotors go? My current rotors are not warped but I think I'll replace them because these trucks seems to warp rotors fast and I want to break the new pads in to new rotors hoping it helps both lasts longer. Thanks for any advice!

NAPA Ultra Premium coated rotors & Akebono brake pads.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
What are NAPA's better offerings as far as pads and rotors go?

I would tell you but their website is down for maintenance right now.
RockAuto would be a better deal if you're not in a hurry. They got ACDelco.
RockAuto discount code: 6588546859053136

IMO:
I find rotors have a mind of their own. They warp at any time of their choosing but sometimes last for years and years. If the rotors look good enough I wouldn't change them. As far as brake pads go, just don't buy the cheapest white box Chinese parts and you'll be fine.

Its a 20 year old truck. Throw on house brand pads and motor on. Leave the rotors alone if the brake pedal is not pulsating and they look ok.

You should be able to replace the pads and be on your way for $25 or less.

I suggest that you do all the work while your friend offers guidance so that you can learn a new skill.

I put their premium rotors (nothing special, just not the cheapies) and mid-grade pads (ceramic but not the stupid expensive ones) on my '85 C3500 over a year (about 10K) ago and I'm very pleased. Zero warp and good grab. My go-to brake job on any car through my shop is that same combination, and I've yet to be disappointed.

My truck warped the previous (assuming original) rotors twice in short succession. With the new rotors I replaced the calipers and it functions great - so make sure your slides/slide pins move freely and are well lubed, and if the calipers look/feel real stiff replace them and you'll be happy you did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alex_V
My truck warped the previous (assuming original) rotors twice in short succession. With the new rotors I replaced the calipers and it functions great - so make sure your slides/slide pins move freely and are well lubed, and if the calipers look/feel real stiff replace them and you'll be happy you did.

Also flush the brake fluid to help prevent the calipers from seizing up.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Its a 20 year old truck. Throw on house brand pads and motor on. Leave the rotors alone if the brake pedal is not pulsating and they look ok.

You should be able to replace the pads and be on your way for $25 or less.

I suggest that you do all the work while your friend offers guidance so that you can learn a new skill.

It is not just any 20 year old truck. It is mint inside and out and I want the very best for it. It will be a show truck one day. I'll definitely help with the breaks and learn more about them!

Here are the brakes my mechanic recommended. What are thoughts on these. They are made in China:

Dam my pictures are not showing up! Photobucket must have made a change. Grrrrrrrr!!!! They are the Napa Premium SS-7259B-M made in China. "Quiet Friction Formulation OE matched" Silent Guard.

Last edited:
I have the same truck as you except mine is a 98. I have always used AC-Delco replacement pads since this truck was new and I only replace the rotors when they warp. If I remember right, I have only had to replace the rotors once and I believe they were made by Wagner. Truck now has about 136,000 miles on it.

I do re-grease the slide pins in the caliper as well as flushing the entire brake system with new fluid every time I do a pad replacement.

Wayne

Get coated rotors. I think Napa does sell them, just not sure what Napa calls them
smile.gif

They also have Akebono ProACT pads. Wagner OEX should also be good if they make them for your truck.

Same brakes as my Grand Wagoneers. I prefer a cheap dusty pad for best brake/least rotor wear. Most work is getting the wheels off. Use a 6 point wrench for the bleeder and be gentle. WTD has good advice I add that lately when I do a pad slap, I pop the piston out of the caliper and clean the crud off it and the top of the bore. Sil-Glyde is your friend. I use a 6" clamp and side taps with a hammer to ease the piston back in. First few I did, I bought the rebuild kit. Now, I just clean them with soap and water.
grin2.gif

NAPA's e-coated rotors are called Ultra Premium. I have them paired with NAPA Adaptive One's on my Honda Pilot, and like them. My NAPA AO pads are made in Canada with a GG rating, not sure about your application.
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
It is not just any 20 year old truck. It is mint inside and out and I want the very best for it. It will be a show truck one day. I'll definitely help with the breaks and learn more about them!

In that case, you'll want to do searches with the term "brakes" not breaks.

Seriously, if you want the best for your truck, quality parts are only half the story. You'll want to verify parallelism and runout so you won't get brake pulsation in 10-20K. Also proper lubrication with a brake qualified grease is very important, as well as using a torque wrench for the lug nuts. I just detailed the first part in this post here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back