What's your biggest pet peeve on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads like these. All of you are posting like you are perfect driver's. Well then where are all the jerk drivers? If we got an input from every driver in this country, every one of them would point out a peeve they have about others but never admit that they are part of the problem. So what do I do that other driver's do not like? I tend to obey the speed limits even when the rest of traffic is going well over the limit. Makes a lot of people mad. I don't care.

Last edited:
Now that I'm back in a small car, I remember what it's like to be invisible.

Aside from that, the only thing that irritates me is people that hang out in the left lane.

People on the highway that can not seem to maintain a consistent speed when there is no heavy traffic. I've made a few road trips this summer and I CAN'T stand playing the "passing game" with idiots on the highway when I am maintaining the same speed the whole time. I have to keep adjusting or turning off the cruise because the fool behind me will go around me, get in front of me and then slow down. WHY? Why pass me to just to then slow down in front of me? Or you go to pass and the jerk speeds up. Again, WTH?

-People who pass you just to have to slow down to turn just up ahead.
-Not using turn signals.
-Thinking their turn signal creates space for them to move over.
-The person who pulls out so you have to slam on the brakes when they could've waited 2 seconds for you to go by as there is ZERO traffic behind you.
-Those who don't turn on a red when it's legal.
-Those who don't get out into the intersection on a left turn at a green light where you must yield to oncoming traffic. Then they wait for the light to turn red and THEN go from behind the white line. Leaves the rest of us to sit at the light again. OR, they don't go at all.

In the area where I live for some reason everyone thinks the shoulder of the road is another lane. Lost count of how many times I've almost been in an accident because the person behind me comes up on me at my 4-5 o'clock when I too am turning right but haven't started the turn yet. And yes I always use turn signals.

The other move around here is folks speeding up and passing traffic on the left to get to the left hand turn lane which hasn't started yet. Almost got rear ended the other day because of some fool doing this.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Lack of headlights when it gets dark, cn they not tell when then they can not see??
Here people compensate by leaving their high beams on all the time.
mad.gif

People that won't pass you. I've even had some who follow and I pull over and they still stop behind me....

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Threads like these. All of you are posting like you are perfect driver's. Well then where are all the jerk drivers? If we got an input from every driver in this country, every one of them would point out a peeve they have about others but never admit that they are part of the problem. So what do I do that other driver's do not like? I tend to obey the speed limits even when the rest of traffic is going well over the limit. Makes a lot of people mad. I don't care.

Yeah, sometimes I'm a jerk driver, doing some of the things mentioned here.
But overall, I think traffic would move faster and more safely in this country if everybody drove like I do.
smile.gif

If everybody would adopt the attitude that they should drive in order to facilitate traffic flow, accidents would decrease, and average speeds would increase. Obeying the speed limit when everybody else is speeding can also hold up traffic. Just go with the flow.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Tailgaters. I am going 5mph over the limit, they ride my tail.

This. I'm going 40 in a 35, isn't that enough?

mad.gif

This x1000

This, Some people have learned to drive a certain way and it's hard to get rid of that habit.

I fail to understand why everybody tries their best to get to the red light first.

When I get to the red light, I don't see anything special other than a red light.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I fail to understand why everybody tries their best to get to the red light first.

When I get to the red light, I don't see anything special other than a red light.
21.gif

It's funny when you have that [censored] that feels the need to race you to the red light,only to have you roll right past them and be in the lead again haha
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

If you are in the right lane, that's fine. If you are in the left (passing) lane, what you are doing is absolutely not OK, and illegal in many states.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
People that won't pass you. I've even had some who follow and I pull over and they still stop behind me....

This is not your problem; it is theirs. Yes, you share the road.. those folks that won't take the passing lane. There is more wrong with them than driving skill.

This actually happened just the other day, they followed so close their headlights were not visible in the rear view mirror. Then they flew around on the right, in a space barely big enough for the car and cutting us off once again. Very young driver, What is the hurry?

Don't do anything to engage or anger another driver. Not everyone knows their way around cars and there are some lunatics out there for sure.

Mind your own business, get to where you need to be safely.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv

Wonder if they have done studies on how to keep cars go thru the lane closure scenario and found a method which when obeyed to the teeth will result in smooth flowing traffic thru there.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
This study has been done. The best procedure is for the closed lane to be fully used right up to the point it goes away, assuming cooperative merging at the pinch point. Reason, unused road capacity benefits no-one.

This may be best in controlled study, but doesn't work in real life. If everybody started "cooperative merging" when they started seeing the lane closure signs, by the time they got to the pinch point, everybody would already be in the correct lane with little disruption of speed.

Instead, you have jackwads who can't stand the sight of empty road in front of them and rush to the front hoping to squeeze or muscle in line. This is what causes the bottleneck.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Lack of headlights when it gets dark, cn they not tell when then they can not see??
Here people compensate by leaving their high beams on all the time.
mad.gif

Likely because like my vehicle,they come on automatically.

There's so many. A couple of the biggest
1) Not accelerating on an on ramp to the freeway. This is dangerous and a pretty common practice by Prius owners. You need to be at the speed of traffic when you getting close to merging, which is usually 75mph around here (not 45mph, dummy).
2) Traveling 45mph in a 35mph zone and then traveling 45mph well after the speed limit goes back to 55mph.
3) Traveling exactly 30mph in a 30mph zone (which is fine) and then running the stop sign at the end. You're either in for not paying attention to the law or out.
4) Generally [censored] around going slow and trying to make every stop light.

I just hate it when anyone else is on the roads. Can't they just let me use them by myself at 9 am and 6 pm?

Small car drivers thinking they are race car drivers. Can't imagine someone driving recklessly in those tin can deathtraps. Can't imagine dying in a POS Scion because yall trying to act fast.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Slow ppl in the left lane

This^^
Nothing impedes interstate travel like people who can't manage to figure out that they shouldn't sit in the left lane just because they're going slightly faster than the big rig running in the right lane five hundred feet ahead.
Move out of the way, let the faster traffic by and then move back into the left lane.
Lack of turn signal use is another bother, often accompanied by desperation braking to make that right turn.
Now, nothing makes me cringe quite as much as seeing a following driver playing with a phone held in front of his face. This used to be confined to younger people and women but is now common to both sexes of every age. This driver is clearly navigating by using the back of your car as his reference point and is paying no attention to the road or surrounding traffic situation.
I'll flee these drivers if I can by either driving really fast for a bit or by passing another vehicle, but there is sometimes no escape in which case I just drive on and keep my fingers crossed.

Keep your feet off the brake pedal if you are on interstate! If you see some activity on the other side of the divided highway, you don't need to brake. Trust me, there is no way for the other side traffic to jump in your lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back