Getting rid of Railroad Ties

Status
Not open for further replies.
28 years ago, I was foolish enough to purchase 30 railroad ties.
I had them around the house, garage, and shed.
Recently, to make life easier for 'future' Larry, I thought I'd get rid of them.

I asked my Nephew if he would help me
* dig them up with a pick-ax
* Cut in half
* Put at the curb for the Town to pick up
He said. "sure, OK"

Fortunately, I was smart enough to get the right tools for the job and was able to do
all the work myself. My Nephew doesn't know how lucky he was.

I bought a Log-Lifter.
Using this tool, I was able to lift the ties out of the mud,
and while lifted, cut in half with a rented chain-saw.
Only took me 3 days using:
* Log-Lifter
* 2 Wheel Cart
* Chain Saw

My advise for anyone doing strenuous work, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB.
Also, don't use railroad Ties for landscaping.

I bought this log-lift on Amazon for $50.00. Money well spent.

4 ties cut in half.

The coveted Log-Lifter.

11 ties cut in half

First load by the curb ready to be picked up.

Second load by the curb.

Good decision to use a "rented" chainsaw.

Your green lawn looks great!

But how is your nephew going to learn the importance of a college education if he doesn't have to start with manual labor jobs?
grin.gif

Did the garbagemen take 'em? Old, previously buried ties didn't dull the chain too quickly, ehh?

Don't they burn well? Mix 'em in with firewood so the creosote burns completely.

Op here,

I do take care of tools (even if rented).
I hosed off the ties of any dirt where I was going to cut.
Did not abuse the chain saw at all.

The Town came by with a Dump Truck that had a mechanical arm & claw.
Took about 15 minutes to remove first load.

Second load will have to wait for the next garbage day.

I'm just glad I'm done.

I am surprised you didn't list then on Craigslist. Railroad ties have many uses.
Probably could have sold them.
I made a elevated carport from them in Pennsylvania.
Build a bunker from them for the Big One but garbage- shame.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Op here,

I do take care of tools (even if rented).
I hosed off the ties of any dirt where I was going to cut.
Did not abuse the chain saw at all.

I'm just glad I'm done.

Sure but I bet you didn't return it with a sharp chain
grin.gif

Creosote timbers buried in dirt wear out a chain fast based on my years of demo work.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Someone would have dug them up and hauled them off for free.

And they would have ruined that beautiful lush green lawn in the process.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
Did the garbagemen take 'em? Old, previously buried ties didn't dull the chain too quickly, ehh?

Don't they burn well? Mix 'em in with firewood so the creosote burns completely.

Shouldn't you add a smiley face emoji to your post so everyone knows you are just joking about burning them?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am surprised you didn't list then on Craigslist. Railroad ties have many uses.
Probably could have sold them. - shame.

I agree 100%

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

grin.gif

Most rental places replace the chain after every rent.

They don't even attempt to sharpen it.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Someone would have dug them up and hauled them off for free.

And they would have ruined that beautiful lush green lawn in the process.
shocked.gif

And if they hurt themselves digging up or moving those things, guess who could end up paying?

Originally Posted By: Linctex

grin.gif

Most rental places replace the chain after every rent.

They don't even attempt to sharpen it.

That was the point of my original post saying it was a good decision using a rental.

My cousins neighbor uses his in the front yard to a keep the neighborhood [censored] from tearing through the grass in his pickup. They are useful redneck decor, in his case anyway.

Railways in Canada no longer sell used wood ties because of their hazardous waste material classification.
Concrete ties are recycled for their scrap metal value, and the crushed aggregates used in road building or ballast.
Scrap wood from the ties can used for fuel in concrete plants along with used tires or in co-gen plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KVBt8YzhY

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Railways in Canada no longer sell used wood ties because of their hazardous waste material classification.
Concrete ties are recycled for their scrap metal value, and the crushed aggregates used in road building or ballast.
Scrap wood from the ties can used for fuel in concrete plants along with used tires or in co-gen plants.

They're usually only HazMat due to whatever leaked, fell out of or dropped from the rail cars onto them during their years in use. It's the RxR's own fault....

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Originally Posted By: userfriendly

They're usually only HazMat due to whatever leaked, fell out of or dropped from the rail cars onto them during their years in use. It's the RxR's own fault....

It is correct that treated RR ties, typically creosote, are not classified as Hazardous Waste.

But these guys who are excited to throw them into burn piles should not mistake the absence of a Hazardous Waste classification as an indication they are safe for burning...atleast in residential areas or in homes.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back