Seat belt pretensioner fault code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I noticed today that my airbag light was on. I cycled the ignition and it flashed 3 and 3 for Driver side seatbelt pretensioner fault.
I connected Forscan and Got B2292 which corresponds to the same issue. I went into the Restraint Control Module PIDs and had it show me the resistance that it was seeing for the driver side and passenger side pretensioners.
Driver 6 ohm
Passenger 3 ohm

So if 3 ohm extra is enough to make it trip a light idk. Unfortunatly allll my tools are at work, including my DMM, so I couldnt check the wiring from the RCM to the plug as per the service manual to make sure it wasnt in the wiring. I will tomorrow though.
If it is the seatbelt module itself, has any one tried rebuild services like myairbags.com? It pretty obvious the seatbelt is tired anyway. Wont retract unless I push it up into the hole. Im tempted to try it.

Don't ever check resistance of any airbag components. Only the wire harness. You can discharge the components using a DMM

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Don't ever check resistance of any airbag components. Only the wire harness. You can discharge the components using a DMM

Thats the plan. Once I get my DMM from work I can check the harness.

Last edited:
I've had 2 vehicles with pretensioner faults. On one I was able to just unplug the connector, clean it and spread die electric grease on the plug and reconnect to fix it. On another I had to go to a junk yard and got another one. When I see the passenger presence system faults I just bypass the seat sensor with a little module made by 360airbags. It plugs in the harness and fools the system and leaves the airbag always on.

On the cars I maintain (mostly BMWs) the common problem is the connector on the harness under the seat. The contact resistance can increase without a specific cause, but moisture and physical abuse (feet, or objects under the seat when moving) are the common causes.

An airbag trigger circuit requires a considerable electrical jolt to ignite the charge. You aren't going to get that energy with a regular DMM. If you could, dozens would be going off in auto boneyards every day. But the manufacture doesn't want the liability if there is a meter out there that puts out high current to test low resistance, so they simplify the rule to "we told you not to".

I have from a reliable source that any seatbelt issue will be taken care of by the dealer for the life of the car.

There is a TSB for that code on several Fords, have a look in AllData. IIRC the fix is to clean the under seat connectors and tape the connector back on the wire for strain relief...

Still have to get to doing it on the Ranger.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
I have from a reliable source that any seatbelt issue will be taken care of by the dealer for the life of the car.

Negative. Ford only covers seatbelts and airbags during the NVLW bumper to bumper period. Anything beyond that would be from a recall.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Bambam

Negative. Ford only covers seatbelts and airbags during the NVLW bumper to bumper period. Anything beyond that would be from a recall.

Agree. No automaker covers seat belts for life.

Quote:
No automaker covers seat belts for life.

Has Honda stopped their lifetime coverage for seat belts?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
No automaker covers seat belts for life.

Has Honda stopped their lifetime coverage for seat belts?

Excellent correction. I was not aware of this. I researched it and found this but don't know the year and if it's still accurate:

https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/awl26998.pdf

Refer to page 31. It doesn't include abuse, accident damage etc. Just seatbelt components that's fail during normal use. It is not specific if it covers the pretensioners or just the actual seatbelts themselves. I also read online MANY people being denied replacements buy the dealer for various reasons.

I found the latest Honda seatbelt warranty. They only cover BASIC seatbelts NOT any SRS parts.

This example is of a 2017 Accord warranty:

Page 28 for details:

http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warra...__KA__FINAL.pdf

Time Period
This warranty’s coverage begins on
the same date as the New Vehicle
Limited Warranty (see page 9), and
continues for 15 years or 150,000
miles, whichever comes first.
Warranty Coverage
Honda will, at its option, repair or
replace any Honda seat belt
component that fails to function
properly during normal use. This
includes all parts and labor charges

This Warranty Does Not Cover:
• Replacement of a properly functioning
seat belt assembly
strictly for cosmetic or comfort
reasons.
• Failure caused by abuse,
alteration, accidental damage,
misuse, or malfunction resulting
from a collision.
• Components of the Supplemental
Restraint System (SRS - front
airbag) that interact with, or act
upon, the vehicle's seat belts (such
as, but not limited to, the latch
sensor, the belt pretensioners, or
the ECU). These components are
covered under the New Vehicle
Limited Warranty.

So I finally looked at this. I got my laptop setup again and datalogged the Ohms that the RCM was reading for the driver pretensioner. It was up to 11 now. I unplugged the connector, still 11 ohm. (Seems to be its max reading for open circuit.)
I jumpered the wiring harness with a piece of wire and got 0 ohms on the screen. So the wiring is all good.
Next I tried to resistance check the pretensioner. 0 ohms too. I thought that was really odd.
When I actually looked at the connector in the pretensioner though, I discovered a metal tab that shorts the terminals together so you can't test it like that.
I cut the plug for one out of my junk car, stripped the wires a bit and plugged it in. 13ohm. So, definitely a bad pretensioner. I tested a good one and it was 2 ohm.

Colt, I applaud your diligence in diagnosing the faulty part. Though it seems that you went a little overboard with your testing methodology, haha.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Colt, I applaud your diligence in diagnosing the faulty part. Though it seems that you went a little overboard with your testing methodology, haha.

lol, overboard? How so?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

lol, overboard? How so?
i got lightheaded at the datalogging part. You are just very principled. I admire your dedication to the craft. I mean to compliment your work, thats all.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

lol, overboard? How so?
i got lightheaded at the datalogging part. You are just very principled. I admire your dedication to the craft. I mean to compliment your work, thats all.

Oh, thanks, lol!
I keep a old laptop (Lenovo T500) in the car along with my bluetooth dongle, so it took me no time to get setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back