Honda mower Model GCV160LAS3H low compression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a compression check which was 31 psi. It should be 71 according to manual. It did run a few times for about 12 seconds and ran really rough with exhaust gasses coming out of the muffler and also out of the carburetor where the air filter is located (never seen that before). I checked online and in the Honda shop manual it stated that for low compression: check to see if valve clearance is correct, check for excessive carbon buildup in combustion chamber, check for defective valve or valve seats, and check for worn piston rings, piston, or cylinder. Can anyone suggest what I can do to fix this problem? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Is the valve cover even slightly dented or bowed in? That will cause this indeed. My money is on the bet that somebody bumped a deck or tree and dented it thus stopping a rocker arm frim moving fully.

Also, whats the history on the engibe? Used on? How old? Unknown prior owner? Previous work done on it?

SumpChump: I'm not sure on history of mower. Someone put it the road and I picked it up. I think it's a 2006. I did replace the carburetor because the old one was pitted on the inside. Thanks

If that valve cover isnt dented then I am afraid she was run low on oil and scratched the cylinder loosing compression. If you are retired then tear it down. If you work daily then go to Harbor Freight and buy a "Chonda" (china honda copy) and slap it
On the deck.

Does the blade look like it hit a rock? - that can bend a rod. Check valve clearance and soak the cyl in light oil or kero before you chuck it.

Does this motor have a compression release for starting? Most of this type of motor do. If so, how do you override for compression check?

Originally Posted By: CPB
Does this motor have a compression release for starting? Most of this type of motor do. If so, how do you override for compression check?

That's what I was thinking too, don't most engines nowadays have a compression release? Can you do a leakdown test instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back