After use: microgreen cartridge filter MG1009

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started out dubious of Microgreen, and my test run pretty much confirmed my doubts.

The application is a 2014 Chrysler Pentastar v6, and the filter is an MG1009 as shown on the MG website:

MG1009.png

The only reason I even explored MG is because there are almost no premium or synthetic media filters for this application. No Fram Ultra. No Royal Purple. No Purolator Boss. I don't believe premium filters are truly necessary, but since the OLM on this application usually runs the oil out to 10,000 miles, a little added media life wouldn't be a bad thing. And by "life" I mean "calendar days installed" life as much as I mean miles. A 10k OCI can be pretty long for us.

The box proclaimed "made in China," and I almost pitched it then. But the cartridge looked well assembled, no gaps, uniform, etc. so I decided to give it a run. The Microgreen cartridge filter is not like their canister filters with a bypass type filter plumbed in with a standard filter, but instead is just an ordinary allegedly synthetic media cartridge wrapped in a foam "rock catcher" that shouldn't do a darned thing in a healthy engine. The pores are huge and would only stop really big chunks. No benefit, but no harm.. except that it DID do something:

25E22A23-62D9-4F49-A60B-D5ED528D14F0_zpsta70bppv.jpg

The oil flow into the circumference of the filter enters the canister at the bottom (left) side of the filter, and the flow obviously skooshed (engineering term...) the foam rock-catcher up toward the top (right) of the filter and compressed it. The flow through the main media wasn't compromised in the lower 2/3 of the filter, but was probably restricted in the 1/3. Given that the filter was still very clean, I doubt that it ever went into bypass, but this is still not a good thing to have happen. And its not like the diameter of the filter made it such that it was just squeezed into the filter housing, either, there was plenty of room around the periphery.

The main media itself looked fine:

2E0D28F6-E649-4E90-A907-D03C150B5D03_zps4bypknwe.jpg

But my verdict is still, "oh HECK no, never again!" It now has an ordinary Wix cartridge installed.

I bought Fram Ultra for the application. PM sent with link. I was considering the Micro Green filters and said no way! Your pictures confirm. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I bought Fram Ultra for the application. PM sent with link. I was considering the Micro Green filters and said no way! Your pictures confirm. Thanks for posting.

Wow, those look nice. They definitely weren't available last year when I bought the MG and Wix (I bought the Wix at the same time to use in case I was scared of the MG right out of the box, and its been on my shelf ever since).

The MG probably wouldn't suck if they'd just leave off the dumb foam sleeve. Its a total gimmick, and I *almost* installed it with the sleeve removed. It would have obviously been better.

I forgot to mention that K&N also has a premium filter for that application, but I'm always a little dubious that they sacrifice efficiency for flow.

If you think the foam does nothing, because it has large holes, do you really think it compromised filtration when a bit compressed at one end of the cartridge?

Maybe its a self-forming bypass section
smile.gif

I wouldn't use these again either. I am using up some spin on filters and they have been good in my application but MG when confronted with questions or pictures like yours, just blows you off. So I'd go elsewhere as well.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
If you think the foam does nothing, because it has large holes, do you really think it compromised filtration when a bit compressed at one end of the cartridge

As I said in the original post: no, not really. The potential compromise would be flow, but I don't think even that was a problem. Its just a stupid design, does nothing positive, costs more, and has the POTENTIAL to do something negative.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Wow, those look nice. They definitely weren't available last year when I bought the MG and Wix (I bought the Wix at the same time to use in case I was scared of the MG right out of the box, and its been on my shelf ever since).

The MG probably wouldn't suck if they'd just leave off the dumb foam sleeve. Its a total gimmick, and I *almost* installed it with the sleeve removed. It would have obviously been better.

I forgot to mention that K&N also has a premium filter for that application, but I'm always a little dubious that they sacrifice efficiency for flow.

They are nice. I started a thread a while back with a picture of the Ultra next to the Mopar filter.

I'm not a K&N fan. I saw the filters in a few different stores and left them there.

I'm not due for an oil change for another few months, I'll be using the Ultra then.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
As I said in the original post: no, not really. The potential compromise would be flow, but I don't think even that was a problem. Its just a stupid design, does nothing positive, costs more, and has the POTENTIAL to do something negative.

And is reflective of the care, quality and engineering that goes into the design. Gimmicks abound with this company, none of which are backed up with any data.

Filling the canister gap with foam seems like an obvious design flaw and it is as you prove. But the foam is darker by a lot than the element, just observation. I have a filter from them that the adbv is tight against the end cap, no way I will use that. Nothing is wrong with the factory filter IMO, it is the one the dealer will use for service. Factory filters are tested and designed for the engines they go on.

Their cartridge line makes little to no sense to me for the reasons stated above.

I don't run them.

I like their spin ons.

UD

The other thing interesting is the paper towel or whatever in the background. The oil is filtered through the paper by capillary action, and is darker in the center. I think that is a way to test for oil contamination, but no one will agree I am sure of that. I put some oil from my Volt which just had a dealer oil change with a Delco PF65 and the oil on the coffee filter spread through the whole thing after a couple weeks and looked clear as water. I put another drop on a coffee filter from my Toyota with 3k on the oil and it is darker in the center and spread out only like a half dollar size in weeks. So the coffee filter tests for oil viscosity and contamination.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The other thing interesting is the paper towel or whatever in the background. The oil is filtered through the paper by capillary action, and is darker in the center. I think that is a way to test for oil contamination, but no one will agree I am sure of that. I put some oil from my Volt which just had a dealer oil change with a Delco PF65 and the oil on the coffee filter spread through the whole thing after a couple weeks and looked clear as water. I put another drop on a coffee filter from my Toyota with 3k on the oil and it is darker in the center and spread out only like a half dollar size in weeks. So the coffee filter tests for oil viscosity and contamination.
grin.gif

The middle of the towel is darker because its completely soggy with oil, the outer edges of the "splotch" aren't as soaked. I think you CAN get a crude assessment of contamination with filter paper and a SINGLE DROP of oil. The fact that I left the filter sitting there feeding the spot until it saturated invalidates any contamination test. Also a paper towel is just too porous. Filter paper... ONE drop of oil.. and several hours for the spot to diffuse out to equilibrium is the only valid test.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
grin.gif

Its known as the blotter spot test. Been around since the 50's. It should operate as you describe, but in practice (or maybe without a lot of experience) the interpretation is subjective and can be difficult to justify.

That filter is not priced at a premium, is it? The coloured foam looks like nothing but visual sensation. That kind of (presumably urethane) foam has no business being deep fried in hot engine oil and the bunching up from oil movement pretty much closes that chapter.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Their cartridge line makes little to no sense to me for the reasons stated above. I don't run them. I like their spin ons. UD

Thats probably the case. The foam did look dark though, as if some tiny junk was sticking inside it as some (part) flowed thru it, bunched up though it was.

MicroGreen should really provide data on this thing.
Maybe Fram has tested it and either laughed, or been impressed. They sometimes test competitive oil filters in their lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back