can I put an 11" clutch and flywheel in an F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
1984 F150 with the 4.9. We are increasing the engine power - the parts guide shows that Ford used a 10" clutch (which is what I have) and an 11" clutch. is it as simple as swapping the flywheel and clutch parts up to an 11"?

Yes, if the flywheel is drilled for it. Many 70's models were.... not so sure about '84?

If not, take it to a brake & clutch place, and they can drill&tap the holes for you.

I don't see the need.
A good 10" clutch can handle what a 300 throws at it, unless you are supercharged or something.

I'd vote for saving your money.

Yes, the OE flywheel is drilled and tapped for it. It can take a 10" or 11" clutch. IIRC you will need larger bolts for the 11" clutch, and nothing more.

I upgraded a few older 84-88 E and F-150's with the 4.9L with the stick to an 11" clutch over the years. At the time the cost was well worth it for me. It is considered HD with the 11" clutch.

I have an OE flywheel sitting in the basement for a 4.9L Ford from that ERA. I can take pics if you'd like.

4.9 6 cylinder right? Some people refer to the 302 V8 correctly as a 4.9 while the rest of us call it a 5.0

Yes. The i300. At first we were gonna put a big v8 in the y truck but then figured out would be more fun to keep the six. Gonna stroke it a little, forged pistons, head work. Just pulled the engine over the weekend. Transmission needs bearings. Gonna freshen up the xfer case. My son wants to add a turbo. I'm not sure....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 555
4.9 6 cylinder right? Some people refer to the 302 V8 correctly as a 4.9 while the rest of us call it a 5.0

So there is no confusion the 4.9L I referred to is the I6. The V8 is the 5.0L, or 302 as you mentioned. The 4.9L I6 flywheel will take a 10" or 11" clutch.

I did this with my 1989 F-150 and it made a nice difference with the 11" clutch disc vs the 10". This was due to a leaking slave cylinder replacement. Second time they went back to a 10" clutch disc and I could tell the difference, the 11' one was nicer to engage and shift with.

Whimsey

I do recall seeing some extra holes in the flywheel but I thought they were not tapped. will check again. I've spent a little time at fordsix; not enough to think about FI. good suggestion. thx. thanks for all replies!

Most likely the extra holes are tapped but they will have an extra deep unthreaded section that locates the special length shoulder on the flywheel bolt.

My understanding on my 88 is that swapping to an 11in clutch just requires different bolts. I think if you look at the info section on RA it will actually tell you the bolts you need. I've been wanting to swap mine for a while but the current 10in clutch just won't die.

I had a 79 F150 with the 6 cyl it was a great engine. 300,000 + miles with normal oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back