Ecogard vs. Fram Ultra/Pro Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local auto parts store story...

In my area we have a store that sells Fram. As I was looking for a 7317 Ultra, an employee tells me, "don't use that fram [censored], we're starting to carry these ecogards, they're made by wix and they're better than those frams!"

I respond by saying, the Ultra is one of the best filters available period.

He tells me to hold an ecogard to feel how heavy it is. Which apparently makes it much better.

I decided to give up.

Ecogards are made in China and not by wix, correct?

I just noticed that rockauto has EcoGard Premium which they list with Fram PH filters, and EcoGard Synthetic + which they're comparing to Fram TG / XG's.

I've never used EcoGards before and I'm also curious who makes them and any opinions...

They are made by IPC Global Solutions. Which they say they use a factory that makes other filters on it. Not sure otherwise.

Originally Posted By: bandz7

Ecogards are made in China and not by wix, correct?

I got a few for my Jeeps a couple of years ago. They were from RockAuto, sold really cheap and made in China. They weren't a bad filter and I had no problems with them, but you just don't know the filtering spec on them. I'm pretty sure there is an Ecogard rep on this site who has posted a couple of times in the past, might be scarce on this subject. Gosh, if only those parts jockeys made a commission on all of their parts recommendations....

The specs on ecogards are about 88% @ 20 and the synthetics are about 97% @ 20. They don't seem terrible from the ones I've seen cut open, but they don't seem on par with the top of the line filters

I hate cashiers commenting at all on what I'm buying, let along giving their (ignorant and uninformed) opinion on it.

Yup, as said, not a Wix made filter, these are made in China as a budget filter for quickie lube places. They are starting to show up in retail channels now.

I cut a regular and synthetic EcoGard and posted them here:

Premium EcoGard X4651

Synthetic EcoGard S4651

The Premium is a touch below the Extra Guard.
The Synthetic is probably on par with he Tough Guard.

I have one of each left that I will use on my F150. Not sure if I will be using them after I am done with the 2 I have.

Usually just the look in my eye will end unsolicited comments on my shopping choices mid-sentence. But this is one more reason I like buying on-line for pickup in-store, or delivery to my home.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Yup, as said, not a Wix made filter, these are made in China as a budget filter for quickie lube places. They are starting to show up in retail channels now.

I cut a regular and synthetic EcoGard and posted them here:

Premium EcoGard X4651

Synthetic EcoGard S4651

The Premium is a touch below the Extra Guard.
The Synthetic is probably on par with he Tough Guard.

I have one of each left that I will use on my F150. Not sure if I will be using them after I am done with the 2 I have.

I just read through all your posts... I was impressed the company responded to you so quickly. I was about to order one from rockauto to try it out, then saw your second thread and how the oil leaked out.

I didn't order one after that lol.

Originally Posted By: VetteElite
I hate cashiers commenting at all on what I'm buying, let along giving their (ignorant and uninformed) opinion on it.

"Are you sure that oil isn't too thin?" is my favorite.
Got variations of that question from ~1/3rd of the cashiers when buying Autozone clearance PU and Castrol 0W-40.

Come to think of it, recently a cashier at Advance also 'warned' me about Fram while I was buying their last half priced clearance Toughguard.

"Ecogard vs Fram Ultra/Pro Synthetic". With no reference to which ecogard...jobber tier filter vs top tier filter(s) with a published ISO efficiently rating. That said, even if the ecogard is the synthetic, wouldn't change that comparison much if at all 'for me'.

7317 Ultra/ProSyn good for up to 15k miles, made in US. When used to their max or close, good ROI can be obtained.

In conclusion based on info provided, being nice, counter jock misinformed.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
"Ecogard vs Fram Ultra/Pro Synthetic". With no reference to which ecogard...jobber tier filter vs top tier filter(s) with a published ISO efficiently rating. That said, even if the ecogard is the synthetic, wouldn't change that comparison much if at all 'for me'.

7317 Ultra/ProSyn good for up to 15k miles, made in US. When used to their max or close, good ROI can be obtained.

In conclusion based on info provided, being nice, counter jock misinformed.

That about sums it up.

Originally Posted by sw99
I use RA closeouts 90% of the time on my vehicles. Oil filters are way over worried about...

[Linked Image]

Both the words Eco and Synthetic are untrue, so besides not supporting China whenever possible I would never buy them. They are not synthetic, and no more Eco than any other filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back