What's your biggest pet peeve on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Slow ppl in the left lane

That's number one with a bullet.

As I said in another recent rant thread, around here a couple brothers that own a body shop do commercials calling themselves the Road Rage Patrol. In them they give out tickets for riding the left lane, not moving around and past vehicles in the right lane. The ads are a real public service imo.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
People that switch lanes in front of semis. Semis leave space to stop and everyone takes advantage of it. I have seen so many close calls this way.

I know that feeling very much first hand. I pull energetic materials and that orange sign means stay away, not use my front bumper to polish your rear!

Last edited by a moderator:

+1

And really slow drivers...for example going 55 in a 65 zone...

Here is my biggest one and it drives me insane I am a truck driver with about a million mile driving experience. I can't stand it when you're driving down the road total vehicle weight of 80000 lb with a stopping distance of roughly 500 ft and you're approaching an intersection a car swerves in front of you the light turns yellow and they slam on brakes. Yes as a truck driver you're pretty darn good at avoiding idiots and you see this coming from a mile away but I'm not perfect neither is my truck even though we do our best. I get in trouble for hitting the brakes too hard my computer reports to the company however they just installed dash cameras

Last edited:
People messing around at a red light and not ready to go.
1) checking phone a) texts b) taking a pic c) using reverse camera to chk hair d) changing songs

2) zoning out and forgetting you're in a car holding up traffic

3) pulling out of red light so slow it holds ppl up waiting (I'm looking at you old man in the 84 Oldsmobile)

This as well as semis passing each other with a quarter mph difference in speed.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
All the other cars.

+1

But above all, I would say distracted drivers. Stop doing other things, JUST DRIVE.

It isn't just driving either, it is everything else too. Ever notice nobody can just sit still for a few minutes? Doctors office, waiting in line, driving, out to dinner, etc. I saw a whole family at a table while I was out to dinner the other night. Every single one of them was texting on their phones and not looking at each other.

When I'm 5 cars back trying to make a left and I have to honk the horn because the none of the people in front notice the light turned green, then I get stuck waiting for the light to cycle because only two cars made it thru.

Originally Posted By: CT8
This as well as semis passing each other with a quarter mph difference in speed.

Kind of related, but one thing that gets me very mad is when I'm on the interstate and I try to pass someone and they speed up. Then I give up and get behind them and they slow back down.

Saw this twice this morning. Folks making a left turn from a driveway by blocking all the right lanes of a major road until the other lanes are clear. And they just wave at everybody who is fuming at them. One of them even a clear space in the median where they could have pulled in until they could merge right, but noooo.... The other one could have gone out the side entrance, turned on the side street that had a light with a green left arrow and gotten out that way, but nooo....

Where do I start?

While driving:
1) people who tailgate me when I'm already doing 5 over
2) texting while driving is rampant - you might as well drive blind-folded, it's the same thing. If I get a conviction for texting and driving, I'm automatically fired from my job. I wish more employers would be that tough.

While cycling:
1) people who squeeze past me at 35+ MPH, instead of slowing down and waiting until they can pass me with a safe margin.
2) texting and driving - somebody will hit me some day, it's inevitable
3) when a driver purposely passes me fast and close while honking, just to let me know that I have no right to use the road.

Excellent comments! I recently experienced all of them in a round trip from NJ to Key West. I want to add that when in heavy traffic the idiot drivers that cut in dangerously close causing people to jam on there brakes so as not to get into a collision. Also the weavers that cut in and out of multiple lanes of traffic causing constant braking by the rest of the vehicles. And after 20 miles of weaving they are no further ahead
mad.gif

Whimsey

City driving. I'll be at a red light that turns green, but the next light, only 300 feet away, turns red. According to the driver behind me, I should see if I can do my best 0-60 mph time and stop at the red light only a few car lengths away. Many will pass me with a look of disgust only to brake and come to a stop in front of me impeding my well timed progress though the intersection.

ON the highway, you can hold a steady speed while cars from the ramp try to merge into your lane but many just can't figure out that they are supposed to pick a spot, either in front or behind you, and adjust their speed accordingly.

I found out that you are much prone to an accident in a low speed area than in a moderate to high speed area.

My biggest one is distracted driving. The government can increase the penalty all they want, it will never deter drivers from checking their facebook status or that unknown text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back