VW Atlas #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked at one today. Launch edition 4 motion V6
Nice- all blacked out and the fake exhaust finishers do look great even though
smile.gif

Only had one in the showroom.
I never had a VW as I always bailed on concerns- you know.
And I was surprised VW wants to deal on a new model too.

So....................
To a rookie VW bloke, The 3.6L engine- what should I expect from it and the 8 spd Auto.
Any oil favorites etc. I know the listed EPA figures ain't so stellar but for the money it is a nice ride.
Not looking to get into a bash fest as I understand it's new and it could-will have issues. The one I had seen was nice but I like to get another color and just a few more options plus wait a bit. The V6 is so lost in the engine compartment I had to get out my binoculars to find it
wink.gif

Oh I did get reverse sticker shock too. No wonder VW is selling- most of the cars are very cheap. Jettas cost about nothing compared to others in the segment.

The biggest issue you will hear is never to buy a first year model. I don't necessarily subscribe to this-but that's what you will hear from some.

That-and VW is evil for "diesel gate".

If you like it-and want one buy it. Life is too short!

The Jetta is probably one of the "best buys" in it's segment.

Last edited:
Thank you- I agree......
I bought many a first year car. I get lucky though I don't zip 20K a year on them but I fully understand.
I could not believe the deals on Jetta's.......
Even the Atlas is priced very fairly. thanks

Originally Posted By: CKN
The biggest issue you will hear is never to buy a first year model. I don't necessarily subscribe to this-but that's what you will hear from some.

That-and VW is evil for "diesel gate".

If you like it-and want one buy it. Life is too short!

The Jetta is probably one of the "best buys" in it's segment.

Looks very nice! Should have no issues with the VR6, and the 8 speed is in many Toyotas, Volvos, etc...

As for the first year blues... I wouldn't worry about it.

I like the styling!

...except for the round VW badge. Doesn't seem to flow with all the flat angles on the exterior.

Thanks Sir,
Since you are a VW man- Does this trans have the expensive 30K mile service requirements? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Looks very nice! Should have no issues with the VR6, and the 8 speed is in many Toyotas, Volvos, etc...

As for the first year blues... I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed- The only thing inside was the seat fabric- all black and a funky design- so I think I'd go with another color inside. Really it was fine but I have had mostly black interiors. VW always to me had weird interior fabrics and colors.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I like the styling!

...except for the round VW badge. Doesn't seem to flow with all the flat angles on the exterior.

Interested in your opinion of acceleration and nimbleness.

As for 1st year purchases, I've got a 1st year 1999 silverado with 256k miles, original engine, original transmission, and the body rotting out after 18 years. Sure the taillgate latch broke, the tailgate hangers rotted away, fuel gauge doesn't work, etc, but not bad for 1st model run so not all are lemons.

The VR6 engine is proven, if slightly outdated. The drivetrain should not be any concern. Fit and finish for 1st year might be worse than later builds.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Thanks Sir,
Since you are a VW man- Does this trans have the expensive 30K mile service requirements? Thanks.

Should be 50k. It's a conventional automatic, so all you need is a simple drain and fill.

I'd recommend the Haldex be serviced at the same time. Should be about $100, give or take labor rate.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Oh I did get reverse sticker shock too. No wonder VW is selling- most of the cars are very cheap. Jettas cost about nothing compared to others in the segment.

Absolutely agree. I was unbelievable close to pulling the trigger on a 17 Passat and will still probably buy one fairly soon. I couldn't believe how much car it was for the asking price...much less than I expected for a German car and actually under cutting a lot of the big sellers in the segment.

Oh and I agree with whoever mentioned the vw badge and the square lines of the vehicle. The vw badge becomes an eyesore.

If it's priced well then go for it.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
The VR6 engine is proven, if slightly outdated. The drivetrain should not be any concern. Fit and finish for 1st year might be worse than later builds.

I always found the fit and finish to be much better on first year model cars as opposed to later year models. After a couple of years the manufacturer has found lots of cost cutting ways to build the car.

First year vehicles can have problems but it depends on how VW deals with them.

My Acura MDX 2007 was full of them but they addressed in free service campaigns and extended warranties on items. Lots of reprograms, the most annoying feature is sloshing fuel when full due to lack of baffling in 2007.

I am looking at this Atlas as a used contender in a few years when my trusty MDX dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back