Officially Switching To Fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a faithful Purolator user since 1992, even the tears didn't really bother me. I cut open three and found none so I am thinking it was less than what people made it look like.
Even if you did get a tear it would not be catastrophic failure just some minor wear.
No the deal breaker is because of that stamped perforated center tube. Some look like they have no holes. I bought a Pure One and I can barely see the slit. Picked up a classic and I can see the slit but not much better. Some are decent, some are not. Regardless I am not going to handpick oil filters.
I like seeing nice round holes in there. I ll never use a E-Core. I want a steel center tube with holes. So I am switching to Fram Ultra.
I think Fram has really improved thier Quality Control and I would even use their Orange cans but since I ve switched to pretty much Synthetics, I ll go with the Ultra.
Purolator spent so much money and time on release of thier new filters and I think they made them worse. Louvered slits don't get it and it's funny because the smaller filters still have the holes so why just the slits in the bigger filters? Whatever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Being faithful to a product is not an indication that it is or was a quality product.

Usually it is actually.
A product has followers because usually it's good. If it gets good results more people use it though word of mouth and results.
Examples are Marvel Mystery Oil v.s Slick 50.
If people had good results with Slick 50. It would be selling. Product lines have to keep their customers happy though and Purolator failed miserably.

I've been getting great deals on filters from RockAuto, though I also get a "surprise" from them once in a while.

I haven't been truly disappointed in any filter I've gotten from them, other than the boxes might have a lot of shelf wear.

I respectfully disagree.
How many people put a filter on and never do anything to prove how well it worked and how its made?
Most don't. Most don't even have access to equipment or testing to know. Even yourself opened three and that is no sampling to prove or disprove anything. No offence.
Take doctors. I know people that love their doctor that is a complete butcher because he or she is nice to them.
Does that make them a good doctor. No!
And by word of mouth these same poor doctors become legends.
That's said I have no issue with what anybody uses. Why should I?
I used Puro's way back in the early days- one reason was local parts stores in the 80's didn't carry many other choices.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Being faithful to a product is not an indication that it is or was a quality product.

Usually it is actually.
A product has followers because usually it's good. If it gets good results more people use it though word of mouth and results.
If people had good results with Slick 50. It would be selling. Product lines have to keep their customers happy though and Purolator failed miserably.

I have been forced to abandon some of the Motorcrafts I have long been using for the same reason. They are showing up with Puro slits now and it is too hard to tell if they are actually open or not. Really not interested in doing 8k OCI's with a filter in bypass the whole time.

Usually it is actually.

I knew a rep that would come by my office who had a suburban with 350k miles and he claimed it was slick 50 that did it.

I've used a ton of Fram orange cans, and cut open quite a few. Some looked pretty ugly, but none appeared to have failed. Still, Rock Auto has pretty good prices on Wix, and Fram TG and XG, so I'm leaning in that direction. I've cut open a couple of Purolators that looked fine, but then I cut open a Pure One and it was torn. No need to buy Puro's with so many other options available.

The ultra is decent but the orange and silver Fram filters would still be last filters I'd ever want to put onto my cars due to the fact the quality/construction is just so much different and probably cheaper compared to other filters.

Welcome aboard. Purolator lost my business years ago, and they won't be getting it back. No need for me to spend money knowing of the problems, then hoping my filter didn't tear when it's time to change it. I work hard for my money, I'll spend it on a better product, from a company that cares more about quality.

Said it before and it must be said again......

Love dissecting filters but NO ONE ever addresses the GLARING point that assessing the quality of the media is NEVER done.

You can describe the construction details and apparent quality but that's about it.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Love dissecting filters but NO ONE ever addresses the GLARING point that assessing the quality of the media is NEVER done.

You can describe the construction details and apparent quality but that's about it.

True, but a tear is a tear, top quality media or not.

The media material isn't a issue with me because I run short oil change intervals. 3,000 mile to 5,000 mile.
Really every 6 months and since I have a company vehicle my personal sometimes don't even get 3,000 miles so any media will take that.
It's when you start 1 year/10,000 mile oil changes that media even matters at all.

The media material isn't a issue with me because I run short oil change intervals. 3,000 mile to 5,000 mile.
Really every 6 months and since I have a company vehicle my personal sometimes don't even get 3,000 miles so any media will take that.
It's when you start 1 year/10,000 mile oil changes that media even matters at all.

But why bother when you can buy a filter without the issues that plague Purolator for the same money or less? When the media is torn the filter isn't working as well as a filter with its media fully intact, short OCI or not.

Is it the louvers in the center tube you don't like whereas it's the circular holes you do like? I agree,that circular holes seem like a much better design.

There are multiple quality filter makers out there besides Fram to choose from. Wix, Baldwin, Denso, Mann, and Champ all have some very good filter offerings, as well as OEM.
Many have also had good luck with the "cheap" made in China filters. Never thought I would use one personally, but have some EcoGard filters in my stash to be used soon.
Aside from the Bosch Distance Plus, I have sworn off Purolator made filters until they address their problems.

Originally Posted By: TheBeaz
The ultra is decent but the orange and silver Fram filters would still be last filters I'd ever want to put onto my cars due to the fact the quality/construction is just so much different and probably cheaper compared to other filters.

Then you have a lot to learn.
The Ultra is, if not the best, then in the top 3, of readily available filters out there.
The TG is an excellent filter, probably in the top 10 for filters available, and the Extra Guard is a decent filter for most.
While I do not like the Extra Guard due to price (I still think is should be priced about $1 cheaper), for a 5000 mile oil change, it will work just fine for 99% of vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Because there is no easy way to do it. I would love to test the media of filters, but the cost would be outrageous.
On new filters I can feel a difference between cellulose and cellulose blend media (the blend media feels "softer" to me).
I have not cut open any new full synthetic media filters, so no idea on that.

Till somebody comes up with an easy way test the media, cutting them open and inspecting the media visually is the best we can do.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
... Till somebody comes up with an easy way test the media, cutting them open and inspecting the media visually is the best we can do.
We can also inspect for alignment issues or other problems that might allow oil to bypass the media even if the media is not torn---especially on cartridge filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back