Huskee 4200 chewing through blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought her new in 2013 42 inch deck. Every season it needs new blades. Last year it went through 2 sets. It is a floating deck with no wheels but it's never lower than 3 and doesn't scrape on the ground. Very few rocks but there are a bunch of pine cones, I try to take them up.

Any idea what causes this? The old John Deere 230 it replaced went years on a set of blades. It still cuts good though.

Last edited:
I've tried a yellow version of the mulching blade. A few years ago. They worked awesome until they eventually got chewed down.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
I've tried a yellow version of the mulching blade. A few years ago. They worked awesome until they eventually got chewed down.
frown.gif

But was it one of the fusion blades? They do seem to be harder than the regular mulch blades.

Do you have sandy soil? Mowing closer will make dirt wear the blades faster.

There are several different manufactures of blades. Also several different thicknesses. Try to find a thicker pair of blades.

I'm not too familiar with your mower, but on my Craftsman mower, oregon 95-019 blades were much thicker than OEM.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
frown.gif

But was it one of the fusion blades? They do seem to be harder than the regular mulch blades.

Do you have sandy soil? Mowing closer will make dirt wear the blades faster.

They weren't fusion blades. There's sand around the front of the house but thats it.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Looking at pic 1, that cut looks way lower than 3 inches.

Is that what the numbers the deck height selection means? I never know that.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
There are several different manufactures of blades. Also several different thicknesses. Try to find a thicker pair of blades.

I'm not too familiar with your mower, but on my Craftsman mower, oregon 95-019 blades were much thicker than OEM.

I'm going to have to try and find some harder or thicker blades. My tractor is a red Craftsman before Husqvarna took over.

I think he is mowing way closer than he thinks. Sand and really close mowing will eat up blades. Park on concrete and measure the bottom of the blade to the concrete. The numbers on the deck do not necessarily mean grass height. In reality, the blade should be slightly lower by 1/8-1/4 inch in the front( slight deck tilt) than the rear, so you don't get brown grass tips.

Fescue will look and stand heat better at 3 1/2 to 4 inches in the middle of summer, 3 inches spring and fall.

Could be just depth of field making it misleading, but pic one looks like 2 inches or less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back