Chinese Buick Envision AWD, 2.5L 4 cylinder, 2017

Selected "Luxury" vehicle for my rental car. Ended up with a Buick Envision SUV, a Chinese built, American Designed small (supposedly luxurious) 4 seat thing.

The Good: Drove well, with good steering feel, good throttle response, had comfortable seats and the active noise cancelling system means it's very quiet. Cornering power was fair, but control was quite good. It's said that the AWD system vectors torque in hard corners and during hard (haha) acceleration to eliminate torque steer. It did it's job as I absolutely could not tell this thing was based on a FWD vehicle. Quite simply, good driving dynamics matter, and this thing drove well enough. I averaged 20MPG in mixed driving, and was able to get 24MPG for a bit, if I drove carefully and, yes, slowly.

The Meh: I found the window sticker in the glove box. $42,000+ for a sub 200HP, normally aspirated, 4 cylinder, 4000 pound, wheezy performing, non luxurious vehicle, built in China, is insane. Yes, it had leather seats. That's the only thing about it that had any luxury. The fit, feel, switchgear and layout of the vehicle was GM cheap, of the very same quality you find in the bottom of the line Chevy Cruise. The reason this matters is the price, it's marketed as luxury, and it's not. Period.

The Bad: Wheezy 4 cylinder sewing machine smooth engine, with good throttle response. But, oh, that 4 cylinder sound and utter lack of power (active noise cancellation or not) is downright cheap sounding and feeling. I mean, Chevy Chevette cheap feeling. The throttle is responsive, and power "feels" good at first, but when more is asked for, it's clear the throttle is already all the way open. All you get is a downshift or three, 6000+ RPM and a normal rate of acceleration that will keep up with city traffic, but not a bit more. Sorry, but $42,000 should get you more power, more room and more luxury. Furthermore, the audio system was not great. Not a bit better than the Cruise I rented the other week. Capable, but down on power and sound quality when compared to modern luxury vehicles.

Sorry, but active noise cancellation does not make this a luxury vehicle.

Note: Chinese build quality: I popped the hood, and much to my surprise, it looked like it was built in China. Sub-par workmanship, such as a junky-looking cross beam tack welded across the front of the engine bay, already starting to rust.

For the same MSRP, one can purchase a far more capable, larger, more comfortable, more luxurious better driving and yes, considerably better built, AWD Ford Explorer. Sorry, the Buick name does not warrant a premium price on a Chinese shoe-box sized SUV.

I certainly hope you didn't pay extra for that "upgrade".

Enterprise here in Canada has started offering the B250 as part of their "premium" lineup.
I have a rental in August and if they try to sell me on that, I will not be a happy camper!
mad.gif

I watched a review of one of these recently by a pretty critical automotive journalist and he was pleasantly surprised and had mostly good things to say about it. I agree with you on the price though, that is way to much money to spend. That thing is going to depreciate quickly.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I watched a review of one of these recently by a pretty critical automotive journalist and he was pleasantly surprised and had mostly good things to say about it. I agree with you on the price though, that is way to much money to spend. That thing is going to depreciate quickly.

The price is THE key point. Clearly it drove well and it was quiet. So much so, that all you hear is the sewing machine 4 cylinder, wheezing at high RPM up hills. In addition, it's very small.

And, yes, I did pay "extra" for this upgrade. Ugh. Luxury vehicles rent for $250-$350 per day. This thing is not worth $350 per week. It has "half an engine" as far as I am concerned, and try as they might, GM can't get blood from a stone. Normally aspirated 4 cylinder engines do not belong in 4000+ pound luxury vehicles. They use every trick in the book to make it acceptable, such as throttle by wire that opens the butterfly fully on "tip in". So it feels responsive. Then they try to hide the 4 cylinder drone with active noise cancellation. Open the windows and reality sets in. It's cheap.

EDIT: I understand there is also a 2.0 turbo engine available for this vehicle. That choice would likely be far better. I'm sure mid range torque would be vastly improved, and therefore the overall experience.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear. I would have thought you can get better rates than that in Florida, with all the tourism in the state. Also, isn't this time of year technically considered "off season" for those travelling to the area (lower rates for flights, car rentals and hotels?).

On the upside, at least you can say you have first-hand experience with one.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Wow, sorry to hear. I would have thought you can get better rates than that in Florida, with all the tourism in the state. Also, isn't this time of year technically considered "off season" for those travelling to the area (lower rates for flights, car rentals and hotels?).

On the upside, at least you can say you have first-hand experience with one.
smile.gif

I travel a lot. This was in NY. Looked exactly like this:

2017-Buick-Envision-00.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24

That thing was never bought for anything close to that.
Priced up for the 20% sale.

That's the new,new Buick.lol Those commercials ("nice Buick"..etc) are laughable.Almost as fluffy as the Chevrolet "Real People" ad campaign.

I drove one, and I liked it...though my one complaint was the engine-otherwise I liked it!

If it turns out to be successful here, the plans are to build it in the states-Either in Lansing or in Lordstown along with the Nox and Terrain with the Cruze finally goes to Mexico...

This is BITOG where new cars are not purchased by most. Anything over 10grand is too much.

Sticker price is not indicative of sell price. Witness GM trucks that can be bought for 15% to 17% off sticker at the right time.

Originally Posted By: CKN
This is BITOG where new cars are not purchased by most. Anything over 10grand is too much.

Sticker price is not indicative of sell price. Witness GM trucks that can be bought for 15% to 17% off sticker at the right time.

Chinese made/branded cars will be on American roads within two years.

TrueCar.com says the average selling price has been about $40k (AWD) over the year this Chinese junk has been out.
The most equipped, maxed-out version of the 2018 Equinox goes for $36k, and is built in Canada.
Oddly, the GMC Terrain (also built on the D2XX chassis) is built in Mexico, which may mean you get a "bonus", as what happened with Fusions made in Me-Eee-Co: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/16/us/marijuana-ford-fusion/index.html for no extra charge!!!

Many other examples of better crossovers in Envision's class that go for less.

If you polled Envision buyers, I wonder how many actually knew it was built in China?

I concluded that the Buick name clicked with the Chinese because Mao Zedong rode in his Post Revolution parade in a Buick.

I wonder how long the "loyalty" is going to last.....assuming I'm correct, of course.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
TrueCar.com says the average selling price has been about $40k (AWD) over the year this Chinese junk has been out.
The most equipped, maxed-out version of the 2018 Equinox goes for $36k, and is built in Canada.
Oddly, the GMC Terrain (also built on the D2XX chassis) is built in Mexico, which may mean you get a "bonus", as what happened with Fusions made in Me-Eee-Co: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/16/us/marijuana-ford-fusion/index.html for no extra charge!!!

If you polled Envision buyers, I wonder how many actually knew it was built in China?

People don't care dude. Their Iphones are made in China-and Walmart is still VERY BUSY. And many flatscreens are made in China. It's a non-issue to many.

Keep in mind the traditional Buick buyer (average age about 60) is fiercely patriotic.
People buy Chinese goods for cheaper stuff, but plopping down $40k for an "American" Buick made in China is too much for most.
Younger people may not have the perspective to care much, yet they don't buy Buicks. They wouldn't be caught dead in a Buick, a granny car.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

People don't care dude. Their Iphones are made in China-and Walmart is still VERY BUSY. And many flatscreens are made in China. It's a non-issue to many.

I concur

Chinese made/branded cars will be on American roads within two years.

If you look at Volvos, they are already here.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
If it turns out to be successful here, the plans are to build it in the states-Either in Lansing or in Lordstown along with the Nox and Terrain with the Cruze finally goes to Mexico...

The D2XX GM platform:
2018 Terrain: Mexico
2018 Equinox: Canada
2018 Envision: China

Do you have a reference source for the change in plans about where they will be made, and which years are you talking about?
The Terrain just went to Mexico, so it would be strange if that got reversed anytime remotely soon.
The Envision is built in China because Buick is popular there.
The Equinox has always been built in Canada, but recently re-tooled for the all-new 2018 Equinox. So they are moving too????

Back