Rant about a fellow cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cycle almost daily, including to and from work. I try to be courteous, and not give cyclists a bad name - I pretty much stop at stop signs, use hand signals, use lights, and don't pass stopped line-ups of cars in the curb lane to get to the front of the pack. Like most of you, I was appalled by the video of fellow in the Volvo apparently running intentionally into a cyclist.

But every once in a while, I see a fellow cyclist who's just totally clueless. Yesterday I was riding north on a dedicated bike trail, and came up to an intersection. A semi with a load of long I-beams had tried to make a RH turn from N to E. This lady (looked sort of tarot card/folk music/public radio) had stopped her bike right on the very edge of the corner, and was impeding the semi from completing the turn - it was unavoidable due to the length of the trailer and the narrowness of the street he was turning onto that he needed the corner where she was sitting obliviously on her bike. I'd stopped about 6 m (20 feet back) and was telling her to back up to give the semi room. Finally a spotter got out of the passenger side of the cab and gestured that she had to get out of the way.

Instead of backing up onto the trail, she pushed her bike out behind the trailer where the driver couldn't see her. She appeared on the other side of the street a minute or so later, and so the driver of the semi was able to back up and re-try the turn. After the semi had cleared the intersection, I was able to cross the street with the next green light.

Anyway, I caught up to her at the next lights. She was waiting on the SE corner island waiting to cross to the SW corner. I wanted to say something but stifled myself. No traffic was moving, likely due to only the turn lanes having the green light. The lights changed, and she took off across the crosswalk without waiting for a walk light - across the northbound line of traffic that had just gotten a green light. Three lanes of cars slammed on their brakes and she continued across the intersection oblivious to the fact she was riding against a red light.

My theory is that cyclists like that probably drive the same way. Better that she's not piloting a 4500 lb SUV - at least on a bike she's unlikely to hurt anyone else.

OK, rant over ...

No doubt about it, there are some dub cyclists around. And dumb pedestrians, car drivers, bike riders. But maybe not so many big rig or bus drivers, at least they have to pass a fairly strict test of competence to get their licence. By the same token there are (almost) no dumb civil airline pilots.

Claud.

No doubt about it, there are some dumb cyclists around. And dumb pedestrians, car drivers, bike riders. But maybe not so many big rig or bus drivers, at least they have to pass a fairly strict test of competence to get their licence. By the same token there are (almost) no dumb civil airline pilots.

Claud.

Yes, it is individuals like this that give us respectful cyclist a bad rap. Not much you can do. Hopefully she will not get hurt or hurt someone else trying to avoid her.

Sorry folks but not everybody understands the necessary requirements of driving a semi...I wish they did but nobody was born knowing this stuff.

I used to love riding bicycles and commuted for years...but these days I prefer two wheels with a throttle.

That being said, I do not understand why anyone thinks they have a responsibility to make apologies for someone elses' actions. A bicyclist who blows a stopsign...a motorcyclist who splits a lane of traffic...a car that fails to yield...they are no reflection whatsoever of my own driving habits and it must be very simple-minded people who would blame ALL bicyclists for the actions of a few.

Heck, I see car drivers make the most dangerous and fool-headed maneuvers numerous times a day and never once have I even considered apologizing for their behavior.

What exactly was this NPR listening woman supposed to do exactly for the sake of the semi? She owned that piece of real estate she was occupying because she was there first. That is the way the traffic laws in this country are set up.

As for the latter description of her crossing without a walk signal...again, why is that supposed to reflect poorly on ALL bicyclists?

This morning I saw a guy in a car blast through a stale yellow that had turned red before he entered the intersection. Yes, he was an idiot but would any of us project his single behavior against every other car on the roadway? Ofcourse not.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Don't worry, the bicycle rider was in the right. Why, because they always are, just ask them! (sarcasm font off)

Whether she was in the right or wrong does not result in my now blaming all bicyclists.

Should car drivers be extra alert to bicyclists? Yes.
Should bicyclists be extra alert to car and semi drivers? Yes.

Should everyone on the roadway be extra alert to everyone else on the roadway? Yes.

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
That being said, I do not understand why anyone thinks they have a responsibility to make apologies for someone elses' actions. A bicyclist who blows a stopsign...a motorcyclist who splits a lane of traffic...a car that fails to yield...they are no reflection whatsoever of my own driving habits and it must be very simple-minded people who would blame ALL bicyclists for the actions of a few.

Seems like at least 50% of the time when I identify myself as a cyclist in a public place I get some jerk trying to use me as a sounding board for what he or she doesn't like about cyclists. Granted there are a lot of young urban hipsters around here who never met a traffic law they didn't break. But still, I am not the person to sound off to about this. I didn't ask for it and I don't want to hear it.

Here's a message...I don't give a rats rumpus about what you think about cyclists that aren't me. Go bother someone else.

I was driving on a major 4 lane road, and as I was approaching a light, which was green, I see a cyclist take a left and come into my lane. His light was red, and he didn't even bother stopping at it nor signal that he's taking a left cutting me off.

I'm a cyclist too, by the way.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Seems like at least 50% of the time when I identify myself as a cyclist in a public place I get some jerk trying to use me as a sounding board for what he or she doesn't like about cyclists. Granted there are a lot of young urban hipsters around here who never met a traffic law they didn't break. But still, I am not the person to sound off to about this. I didn't ask for it and I don't want to hear it.

Here's a message...I don't give a rats rumpus about what you think about cyclists that aren't me. Go bother someone else.
My usual response is to say that I agree, a lot of my fellow cyclists ride irresponsibly, but given that they likely drive like that too, isn't it better that they're on a bike where they can't do as much damage to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back