Cool Down to Ambient Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change some spark plugs. and I want to do it when the engine (Ford Duratec 2.5L) is cool. How long would I have have to wait if the car has been running?

Last edited:
Depends on how hot it is outside. I've had a warm engine after 8 hours in the summer. I like to let things to sit overnight and go at the project in the cool of morning. Tackling tougher projects after a decent nights sleep helps keep ones cool when trying to work around some dumb engineers Rube Goldgerg.

I wanted to try denso TT plugs in my 2.5 my 2011 ranger to eliminate a high misfire count. I couldn't get the spark plug boots off! It was like they were glued on. Even large pliers wouldn't work - almost ripped a boot. And this is in a 6 month old vehicle. Good luck. Hopefully your car has COP ignition, not dual waste spark coil packs.

I still have the plugs new in box
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I wanted to try denso TT plugs in my 2.5 my 2011 ranger to eliminate a high misfire count. I couldn't get the spark plug boots off! It was like they were glued on. Even large pliers wouldn't work - almost ripped a boot. And this is in a 6 month old vehicle. Good luck. Hopefully your car has COP ignition, not dual waste spark coil packs.

I still have the plugs new in box
smile.gif

I can be helpful today buy a can of WD-40 insert straw in can is the other end of the straw and stick it between the spark plug boot and the wire you can inject WD-40 into the boot it will slide right off boom , have fun

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Stone cold is for valve lash.

I believed and practised that for 40 years.

A few years back I set valve lash after the engine had been stopped for only 30 mins so it was still quite warm but nothing like hot enough to cause burns. I then left it overnight and checked them again stone cold. There was no measurable difference so now I'm a convert and set them during a normal service after I've drained the oil.

I checked the car in question after about 3.5 hours and it was still too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back