Motorcraft filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Ford/Motorcraft say how efficient there filters are? Any published micron filter rating?

I emailed them a while back while considering their Omnicraft line of filters. Here is the complete text of their reply, in regards to two of them that fit the cars in my sig:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your email. Below are the answers to your questions on oil filter fitments. The filters are actually Motorcraft for those 2 vehicles. The Motorcraft filters shown below also fit Ford or Lincoln vehicles so they will stay Motorcraft branded vs. Omnicraft. Thank you.

1. Oil filter for 1998 Honda Civic DX (1.6L engine) – Motorcraft FL-810-A

2. Oil filter for 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L engine) – Motorcraft FL-910S

3. Efficiency rating for the 2 filters that would fit these vehicles - High efficiency filter media traps 80% of particles 20 microns and larger

"High efficiency filter media traps 80% of particles 20 microns and larger"

That's the information MC published for as long as I've been a member here but likely much longer. It was pretty vague but all they chose to give out.

However, in the oft quoted/posted Amsoil test of some oem filters the FL820S ISO tested ~94%@20um. So very respectable.

Am I wrong in thinking 80% isn't that great?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read the above post.

Last edited:
Sometimes the maker doesn't like to talk about how efficient their filters are.
About all you need to know is if they at least put some glass fibers in the media, instead of the cheap all-paper media many have.
All glass fiber is best, yet to have some blended into a paper media also works OK.

The most important oil filter is an air filter and a well sealed intake plumbing. FYI

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
That's the information MC published for as long as I've been a member here but likely much longer.

Yes. Decades now.

I honestly don't think any filter companys made "special" media that low %.

MOST likely is 95% efficient @ 20 microns and larger, which is very, very, very common now.

Almost 20 years ago now since the "great minimopar oil filter cut open" website launched.

Back then, motorcraft = PureOne

An 80% filter would be very believable for an all paper filter which is what Motorcrafts USED to be... but they have been a blend for years. One independent test had a Motorcraft filter at about 93% which would be very reasonable for a blended media filter.

Why Ford doesn't upgrade their specs I don't know. They don't seem that interested in it actually.

Quote:
...Why Ford doesn't upgrade their specs I don't know. They don't seem that interested in it actually.

MC being primarily an OEM supplier for FoMoCo, no different than majority of OEM suppliers when it comes to filter efficiency data. Most keep that information proprietary. That's one main reason why the Amsoil ISO testing of some OEM filters was so illuminating.

Apparently not much incentive to go beyond general or no published efficiency info. Being an oem must be enough for them all.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

All these rated at 20um unless otherwise stated: (data taken directly from OEM websites, product pages, etc)
Motorcraft 80%
AC-Delco 98% at 25-30um (that's how they put it ...)
Purolator basic (red can) 96%
Purolator PureOne 99%
Purolator Boss 99%
Fram XG 95%
Fram TG 99%
Fram Ult 99%
Wix/NG 95%
Bosch D+ 99.9% at 40um (a value that is not helpful in terms of comparing, but all they advertise)
Bosch Premium 99%
Mobil 1 99% at 30um (that's thirty microns, not twenty; not a typo on my part)
K&N Gold 99% at ???? (no stated size; missing info = worthless info)
Royal Purple 99% at 25um
Amsoil 98.7%

The worst I've seen the MC typical filter is 80%, but I've seen other reports stating it's better than the OEM claim.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The most important oil filter is an air filter and a well sealed intake plumbing. FYI

You are correct. Also the oil you use is far more important than the oil filter you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back