Old Fridge has Started Making Drip-Drip Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what it is, it's the automatic defrost water dropping into the condensate pan... but it has been silent up until a couple months ago. It's very distinct especially at night at bedtime when the house is quiet. LoL, it's a vintage 1995 Whirlpool 22 cu ft side by side, water and ice in the door. Bought new back then and it's been a trooper (Made in the USA, baby !!). I hope this symptom isn't a pre-cursor to failure. Probably need to roll it out and take the back off, have a look at the condensate pan anyhow for signs of mold and etc. Put it on my list of things to do this weekend.

P.S. On a tile floor, no signs of water leakage that I can see.

Check the Condenser fan and blade, as well as the airflow. Quite often the fan motor is directed over the condensate pan to aide in the evaporation of the water in the pan. A dirty fan blade or dirty condenser coil will diminish airflow, as well as the fan motor not turning proper RPM.

Look for frozen vegetables (peas and corn are notorious) blocking the normal operation of the evaporator. There should be a tube somewhere that might be plugged by these perfectly sized food items. Very common problem.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Hang on to if you can; new ones are made to last about 7 years....if that!

Not sure about the planned longevity, but I'm going to agree. My fridge was a cheap one (1991 Wards Signature 2000 - Admiral) but it's been a winner. I know it uses more electricity than the new ones, but I'm not replacing it until it dies!

Mine has a small drain hole underneath the crisper bins. When the freezer defrosts the design has the water running down the back of the refrigerator compartment to drain into the area under the crisper bins and ultimately into the pan under the unit. Yours might have a more elegant design with an actual drain line or tube, but chances are that it's partially clogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back