Petron Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe a search yielded only one mention of Petron Plus here at BITOG! I figured I would get a year's worth of reading! I also can't believe I've never heard of Petron Plus until just a few days ago.

Anyway, I've seen some pretty impressive bearing tests using Petron Plus added to engine oil, as compared to other additives, such as Lucas and others.

They claim they treat the metal, not the oil.

So, what's the scuttlebutt?

Larry

My testing would be....insufficient. All I have are 2 or 3 small engines and a car. Hardly scientific.

What I did notice is that it is hard to find terribly recent video of testing. I did find some cheesy commercials from 1993.

Larry

The thing is, there are standard ISO or ASTM tests that would conclusively prove the effectiveness of additives, but why do you suppose the companies never provide the results of such tests assuming they even run them in the first place? Instead they rely on goofy and gaudy websites with useless testimonials or pages of worthless and meaningless text that is worded to never make any specific claims?

No one could ever "test" for the claims these companies make in real-world driving. The variances in daily driving always overwhelm the claimed improvements so you can't tell whether they are true or not. It just isn't possible. But it could be done (and not expensively) in a laboratory, yet somehow those tests are never presented nor documented.

It's not like there is some testing vacuum out there and all anyone has to rely on are testimonials and vague claims

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The thing is, there are standard ISO or ASTM tests that would conclusively prove the effectiveness of additives, but why do you suppose the companies never provide the results of such tests assuming they even run them in the first place? Instead they rely on goofy and gaudy websites with useless testimonials or pages of worthless and meaningless text that is worded to never make any specific claims?

No one could ever "test" for the claims these companies make in real-world driving. The variances in daily driving always overwhelm the claimed improvements so you can't tell whether they are true or not. It just isn't possible. But it could be done (and not expensively) in a laboratory, yet somehow those tests are never presented nor documented.

It's not like there is some testing vacuum out there and all anyone has to rely on are testimonials and vague claims

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back