[CUT OPEN] Motorcraft FL-820S - 6000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there have been some complaints with these so I figured I better do a C&P on it. Haven't been driving the truck much lately, so this was on for 2 years and about 6,000 miles. This is off my 2005 F-350 with the 5.4.

I've certainly seen better looking media, but there are no tears. Might consider switching to something else in the future, but I have a few more of these on hand so I'll use them up first.

I don't mean to be rude, but why are people still buying paper filters ? They're obsolete.

Wire backed synthetic media filters always have nice straight pleats.

Holy waves! That thing really got put through the ringer. Considering their propensity for tearing I think you dodged a bullet here. Maybe shorten the FCI for the remainder of the filters?

Some people still buy ISLAC 10W30 weak sauce because they think it's thicker and more robust. It takes all kinds.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't mean to be rude, but why are people still buying paper filters ? They're obsolete.

Well, in my case they're not obsolete because they're what I have sitting on the shelf in my garage. Once I use them up, I may switch to something else but I'm not just going to throw them in the trash.

since my vehicle is under warranty I have to play the game of new oil & filter every 3k-4.5k miles so I buy filters built for that OCI range...

I wud like to cut open one that i pulled off my expedition recently.
How difficult is this job. I have a manual hack saw
smile.gif

I had a 2005 F250 with the 5.4 and it was underwhelming to say the least. I could not imagine in a same year F350. I feel for you.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
smile.gif

A hack saw will work just fine, but will make the outer shell look pretty jagged.
I cut open a Purolator a few days ago with a good pair of tin snips. Start from the base plate and cut through the seam at about 45 degrees. Then just easily cut around the perimeter for a very neat cut and the whole filter just comes apart in the individual pieces. Now I have yet to try this on a heavy industrial filter, but the filter I took off my Jeep cut easily, took about 10 seconds and made a very neat cut. Again, I'll stress to use a GOOD pair of tin snips.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I had a 2005 F250 with the 5.4 and it was underwhelming to say the least. I could not imagine in a same year F350. I feel for you.

Honestly, I'm more than happy with it. Does everything I need it to do. I've towed ~10,000 lbs with it several times, gets the job done just fine. I don't understand why everyone thinks they need 500 HP in a pickup truck. It's not a race car.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
smile.gif

A hack saw will work just fine, but will make the outer shell look pretty jagged.
I cut open a Purolator a few days ago with a good pair of tin snips. Start from the base plate and cut through the seam at about 45 degrees. Then just easily cut around the perimeter for a very neat cut and the whole filter just comes apart in the individual pieces. Now I have yet to try this on a heavy industrial filter, but the filter I took off my Jeep cut easily, took about 10 seconds and made a very neat cut. Again, I'll stress to use a GOOD pair of tin snips.

Ten seconds wow you are pretty good. Thanks i will try this. I am quite curious to see what it looks like.
The expedition has 181k about so .

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Honestly, I'm more than happy with it. Does everything I need it to do. I've towed ~10,000 lbs with it several times, gets the job done just fine. I don't understand why everyone thinks they need 500 HP in a pickup truck. It's not a race car.

Same here.

I pull a 8,300 lb 5th wheel RV with a '08 F150 - 4.6

I won't win any drag races, but honestly, I've never complained about the power once. It does well in Texas July heat with the A/C on full blast. Doesn't seem to care, and actually gets better than 13 mpg while doing it.

Very ugly but not torn. On the outside those filters scream quality. But.....
Thanks for the pictures.

I also agree with liking the 5.4. I heard so much bad about them that I was reluctant to buy the truck with it in it.
Have to say I really like it.
I didn't even want to sell it to my daughter but I didn't want her to go out and pay top dollar for junk and I didn't need it because I have the Dodge. Impressed me though.
Maybe I got a good one.

Duh- it did its job...
Really? Others can do the job far better. You must expect very little from filters.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
It did its job didn't it?
Who cares what it looks like inside,its an oil filter,not a Picasso.

My 4.6. 2V also does its job very well pulling that expedtion along on some gruelling trips fully loaded
smile.gif

It might not win any drag races and i drive it even slower than it should be driven off a standing start but it is a long distance machine not a dragstrip beast
smile.gif

I dunknow if i can handle the power of 5.4 !

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
It did its job didn't it?
Who cares what it looks like inside,its an oil filter,not a Picasso.

Yes, it was still doing its job. It might not look pretty but I wouldn't consider it to be a failure by any means. Some people have found torn media with these, but I've cut open every one I've used in the last 5 or so years and haven't found any failures.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Holy waves! That thing really got put through the ringer. Considering their propensity for tearing I think you dodged a bullet here. Maybe shorten the FCI for the remainder of the filters?

I agree with your assessment and recommendation.

And what proof is there that the waves resulted in anything other than an image that is aesthetically disagreeable?

Did it tear? Not by his assessment.
Did it rupture? Clearly not.
Did it go into perpetual bypass? Unlikely.

Is there any proof that straight pleats filter "better" than wavy ones?

I would remind you all that the "fold" in every single pleat is just a very well controlled "wave" that alternates in/out .... One that is designed and manufactured into the product by intent, and has a FAR, FAR tighter bend radius than the "waves" you all cringe at.

When it's proven with quantifiable data that the waves are harmful, resulting in a failure of the "effect" of the intent of the product, then I'll listen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back