Change oil twice after timing cover leak (coolant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In May, I had to replace the timing cover gasket (and water pump) on my 3.8 due to a coolant leak. My independent mechanic told me that I needed to have him change the oil after this, due to possible coolant contamination. So, I had him do that. Now, the VWB has 750 miles on it and I'm wondering if I need to re-change it ( I was thinking about just siphoning out 4 quarts and leaving the filter) or if it's okay as is. The coolant wasn't necessarily in the oil but there was a chance, as I understand it, that coolant and oil mixed (although the leak was external), and I had no "milkshake" oil. So, I was just wondering whether it should be good, or if there's any value in a change.
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
For $20 and 1/2 an hour you can change the oil and not have to worry.

That's what I'd do.

It's not Amsoil or some other expensive oil. I'd change the oil and leave the filter. If you've got a Fumoto valve installed it should take all of 5 minutes.

If you'd have to pay someone to do this, I'd wait.

If the mechanic drained the radiator before pulling the timing chain cover, I don't see the issue. Before pulling my intake manifold, I drained the radiator which drained everything else with it. I kept the oil in it because I had some very expensive Valvoline 5W-40 in it with low mileage.

So much coolant is still trapped in the block with everything removed, (unless you remove the block drains) I would change the oil (cheap insurance). I took the wet/dry vacuum and sucked out coolant from the ports just so it wouldn't weep during this job.

You can still see the coolant standing in the rear of the block. With the main oil galley through the timing cover (left side holes below coolant), it is good to be extra careful with the Buick engine. I was paranoid and even removed the oil pan (shockingly easy).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back