Filter dropped but not dented---still ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen plenty of threads here talking about dented oil filters. Mine has no dent. It fell from a shelf about 3 feet to the ground. I took it out and looked--absolutely no dents at all.

I'm thinking that the mere impact from the fall wouldn't be enough to hurt any valves, or dislodge the filter media, but I'm not sure. I have shaken it a few times, and I've heard absolutely no rattling or any sound at all.

It is an M1-102. It would be easier to toss a cheapo filter, but I'll still do it if putting it on is rolling the dice.

Last edited:
They get bounced around a lot more than that getting shipped to stores. I think you're worrying about nothing. If it were badly dented, or the insides were rattling that would be another story.

Good point. That passed my mind when I was posting this. I'm sure they aren't hand delivered from factory to store....

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
They get bounced around a lot more than that getting shipped to stores.

Give it the "ADBV blow test" to ensure nothing got shifted that would prevent the ADBV from working.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Give it the "ADBV blow test" to ensure nothing got shifted that would prevent the ADBV from working.

Blow test?

Originally Posted By: OLEJOE
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Blow test?

Blow into the center hole on the base plate to determine if the ADBV is sealing 100%. Only true filter maniacs know of this procedure.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back