Mercon LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my wife's dealer refused to to a drop and fill on her 2017 Explorer, only do transmission flush or a transmission case spit I purchased 12 quarts from Rock Auto for $5/quart delivered. The dealer did me a favor and saved me money because with her 2.3 EcoBoost engine it's real easy to change the ATF via drain and fill. I'll do it cold so I can measure what came out and I'll put what goes back in.

Whimsey

Sounds good. Assuming its pretty much the same as our '14 Explorer with the 3.5L Eco. A simple and well placed drain plug. Hardest part is moving the air cleaner out of the way of the fill neck!

Originally Posted By: Kira
A 2017 is a relatively new vehicle. Is there a reason you wanted to do a D&F other than "cleaner is better"?

No, other than earlier ATF changes is cheap maintenance to get you to high mileage. We keep our vehicles for more than 10+ years. I don't want to spend the money for a new transmission late in it's life, if changing it keeps it alive. I'm driving her old 2005 4.6 Explorer with 194,000 miles. It shifts great with the original transmission with ATF changes every 20,000-30,000 miles, initial one done early. You do what ever you feel comfortable with. For me it's cheap insurance since I keep my vehicles a long time, to each their own.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Does Mercon LV interchange with Mercon V ?

No it doesn't, totally different ATF fluid. The Mercon LV is for their newer transmissions. You can't use it for Mercon V or Mercon rated transmissions.

Whimsey

Gets the metal out. New parts break in produce the highest metal per mile.

Last week I did a D&F on my 2017 Fusion. Used MC LV. Also had to remove the air box, which took about 10 Min. 3 1/2 qts came out cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
Sounds good. Assuming its pretty much the same as our '14 Explorer with the 3.5L Eco. A simple and well placed drain plug. Hardest part is moving the air cleaner out of the way of the fill neck!

I'm lucky with this 2.3 EB because the ATF fill is out in the open without moving any engine compartment pieces. Seriously this engine is a piece of cake to change the oil and filter plus changing the transmission fluid. It has no under body shield. It's lot easier than the 2005 4.6 Explorer I inherited from her which also doesn't have a under body shield but is a real pain in the butt to service
grin.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: Kira
A 2017 is a relatively new vehicle. Is there a reason you wanted to do a D&F other than "cleaner is better"?

No, other than earlier ATF changes is cheap maintenance to get you to high mileage. We keep our vehicles for more than 10+ years. I don't want to spend the money for a new transmission late in it's life, if changing it keeps it alive. I'm driving her old 2005 4.6 Explorer with 194,000 miles. It shifts great with the original transmission with ATF changes every 20,000-30,000 miles, initial one done early. You do what ever you feel comfortable with. For me it's cheap insurance since I keep my vehicles a long time, to each their own.

Whimsey

Shouldn't need to be that aggressive with atf intervals and Mercon LV. I did mine for the first time at 80k on my F150 and was very comfortable with that. Had a UOA done at about half that mileage indicating plenty of time left on the fluid.

I had Valvoline MAXLife LV in mine and did a drain and fill with licensed Mercon LV to make me sleep better at night. It probably would have been fine but with licensed motorcraft fluid I know it will be good for 80k or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back