Pot stirring what's the best oil for heavy duty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, new member. Did a search, can't really find what I'm asking on, so here she goes......

We have a fleet of dump trucks. They range from C-12 Cats, 3406E Cats, N14 Cummins. No Detriots yet, but that will prolly change fairly soon. All older trucks, so no emissions.

Engines that we haven't rebuilt we are running Rotella T6

Engines we've had redone we are running Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel

Don't mean to 'stir' the pot, but as the heading implies, what's the 'best' oil to be using?

Thanks

IF you have a fleet of dump trucks, then you really should have used oil analysis histories for each of them - the analyses would point out any shortcomings in their current lube service program.

I think you are spending too much money on engine oil in the belief that synthetics are better in your application.
Chevron (Caltex) did an engine tear down of 2 identical engines, one that ran on 5w40 and the other 15w40.
After 1m kms, 600k miles, both engines showed very little wear. I posted the video a couple of times.

edit; a different video with an MTU engine and Mandarin sub-titles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyTIpoJRE1E

Last edited:
All the engines you mention would do fine on any of the "big 3" HDEO 15w40's. Rotella T, Delo 400, or Delvac 1300. And Kendall Super D-XA would work well, too. Why are you spending extra money on synthetics?

T6 seems a little too shear prone for my tastes-a 55 gallon drum of any decent CI-4, CJ-4, or CK-4 15W40 from any of the big 3 would be just fine for your application, unless you plan on starting unplugged in -15F or colder weather. I use TDT 5W40 myself, but only in a CR Cummins that is finicky starting cold or partially warmed up. The older stuff gets straight 30, 15W40, or 10W30 (in winter) dino, all the way. I would add the Conoco/Phillips oil to the list, too-if I ever run low, I can get a good deal on Kendall or Gulf from a local distributor (Aero Oil).

Last edited:
I drive for an LTL trucking company and we run C13 Cats, some Mercedes engines and D15 Detroit's. They all get Mobil Delvac 1300 15W-40. They do a 50,000 mile OCI on the Detroit's and 30 or 40,000 on the others. We have very, very few oil related malfunctions.Last CAT I had had 895,000 miles on it when I got my first Detroit. It had 838,000 on it when I got my second Detroit and I have 430,000 on it so far. Zero oil related failures. The Mobil Delvac CJ-4 has also significantly reduced our DPF problems.I use Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 in my John Deere.

50,000 on the D15 Detroits. I think any of the major oil brands, and some of the store branded oils, would do good for you. Used Oil Analysis for each vehicle would be an exceptional benefit for you. I think the number one thing you could do, would be to inspect the intake systems on your trucks since they are in and around a lot of dirt. Dirt can only enter an engine through the air intake system. Feed it clean air, clean fuel and service it on a regular basis, it will run a long time.

I'm going to choose Chevron 15W-40 for you. We'll see if anybody disagrees.
56.gif

Quite an argument, people will say zinc and phosphorus don't matter, I'd say run as much additive as you can. Mobil Delvac MX is API CI4 plus 1500ppm zinc/phos. TBN around 10. That's an additive rich oil.

I'm sure AMSoil makes a CI4 type oil they go up to TBN of 12 with loads of additive, PAO base stock, I'm sure cost wise it's double the cost of the Delvac MX.

CJ4/CK4 oils, Delvac 1 should have some PAO basestock may make it better than T6, which are both great oils. T6 I believe is pure dino hydrocracked group III basestock.

In my 30+ years of trucking I have personally seen more 1,000,000 mile or more engines that spent there life on plain Delo 400 15w-40 than any others. So it gets my vote.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
In my 30+ years of trucking I have personally seen more 1,000,000 mile or more engines that spent there life on plain Delo 400 15w-40 than any others. So it gets my vote.

There you go.

We run hard and we run heavy and we run in some really rotten conditions, so the extra for synthetic I don't feel is a big waste, but i might be wrong.

We change oil every 15k, but occasionally it gets to be more if we are running out of town.

We buy our oil at walmart, as any other source here is high dollar even for lessor oils.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
IF you have a fleet of dump trucks, then you really should have used oil analysis histories for each of them - the analyses would point out any shortcomings in their current lube service program.

yes we should and have, but not on every oil change.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I think you are spending too much money on engine oil in the belief that synthetics are better in your application.
Chevron (Caltex) did an engine tear down of 2 identical engines, one that ran on 5w40 and the other 15w40.
After 1m kms, 600k miles, both engines showed very little wear. I posted the video a couple of times.

edit; a different video with an MTU engine and Mandarin sub-titles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyTIpoJRE1E

Either synthetic oil is better or it's not. If it's better, why wouldn't you want to use it?

Originally Posted By: NStuart
How many mile are y'all going before you change the oil

about 15K, sometimes a bit more if we are running out of town.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly

How about a 16-645 EMD running on SAE 40 since 1965?

Here's the thing, SAE40 is great when the engine doesn't require cold starting. With SAE40 missing viscosity improvers it doesn't sheer as much as a winter grade oil.

Here's a good article on EMD engines oil and the observations changed my thinking toward oil greatly. Exxon Elite 20w-50 had the best result in terms of valve deposits and wear.... Piston aircraft oil, is the best diesel oil. Mind blown.

https://ctr.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploads/pubs/0_5532_1.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back