Change now or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, trying to figure out if I should change my oil now or not.

Short version:
Scion in sig, 3000 miles in 8 months on Auto Zone 0w-20 synthetic/CQ Blue filter. Lots of short trips, but several 50 mile highway trips a month.

Long version:

Yes, I know UOA is the only way to tell for sure, but not going to happen.

This is the 2012 Scion xB in the sig, right at 38,000 miles on the vehicle.
First 5 oil changes were done at the dealer using TGMO 5w-20 and Toyota filters (free).
  • 4,930 miles, 6 months
  • 4,798 miles, 6 months
  • 3,763 miles, 5 months
  • 3,107 miles, 3 months
  • 3,261 miles, 4 months
Now, a 6 month/5,000 mile interval using synthetics (hoping to prevent the clogged piston oil holes/consumption issue the 2AZ-FE has).
The past 3 changes were with Pennzoil Platinum (pre GTL technology oil) 5w-20.
  • 4,988 miles, 6 months
  • 5,152 miles, 5 months
  • 4,976 miles, 6 months
Current fill is Auto Zone 0w-20 Synthetic.
Last oil change was December 2, so I am over 8 months since last change, but only ~3,000 miles into this OCI.
My wife quit working last October and now it is not driven near as much.

I feel like if I change it now with so few miles, I am wasting oil, but at 8 months, it means lots of short trips.
It does make several 50 mile highway trips a month, so not really worried a lot about fuel/moisture dilution.

So should I just go ahead and change it now, or just wait for a full year/5000 miles?

I would think you're fine but this

"Now, a 6 month/5,000 mile interval using synthetics (hoping to prevent the clogged piston oil holes/consumption issue the 2AZ-FE has)."

Says you may just want to go ahead and change it this motor is known to have issues like that.

Just change it at 6000 miles, even if it takes you two years. Even that is conservative - just keep it topped off.

I'll get yelled at for this one, for sure: How does the oil look on an ink blot test on a white paper towel?

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I'll get yelled at for this one, for sure: How does the oil look on an ink blot test on a white paper towel?

Do that in a diesel engine!!

Originally Posted By: Donald

Do that in a diesel engine!!
Ok, I'll bite. Why? The only diesel I worked on was a 2007 Isuzu NQR with the 5.2L 4HK1-TC engine. Very few miles, less than 30,000.
Whenever I changed the oil in that truck, it would turn BLACK as soon as I restarted it. That quickly. Thus making the blotter test pointless (if going just by color)

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

"Now, a 6 month/5,000 mile interval using synthetics (hoping to prevent the clogged piston oil holes/consumption issue the 2AZ-FE has)."

Says you may just want to go ahead and change it this motor is known to have issues like that.

That is the main reason I am debating changing it now. Supposedly it was fixed by the 2012 model year, but only way to know is time/miles.
The 2AZ-FE was used in few vehicles for the 2012 MY (I think the xB was the only vehicle using it still), so not a lot of 2012 data out there.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Just change it at 6000 miles, even if it takes you two years. Even that is conservative - just keep it topped off.

Don't think I could ever make myself go 2 years. Me waiting for 1 years is a huge jump.
So far, there is no consumption.

A dark, golden honey color.

This is on a coffee filter, the red circled one is a drop of new oil (same brand).

Originally Posted By: Kira
Full year / 5,000 miles due to the 50 mile "purge" trips.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Wait a full year.

I think this is what I should do (except for the small concern about the 2AZ-FE issues).
Her highway trips are well over 1/2 the mileage on it, so as I said, fuel dilution/moisture contamination is not a concern.

With so much oil sitting in my stash, I am just getting the itch to change it.
Maybe I will go change my mother in laws oil.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

That is the main reason I am debating changing it now. Supposedly it was fixed by the 2012 model year, but only way to know is time/miles.
The 2AZ-FE was used in few vehicles for the 2012 MY (I think the xB was the only vehicle using it still), so not a lot of 2012 data out there.

Don't think I could ever make myself go 2 years. Me waiting for 1 years is a huge jump.
So far, there is no consumption.

This is on a coffee filter, the red circled one is a drop of new oil (same brand).

Originally Posted By: Kira
Full year / 5,000 miles due to the 50 mile "purge" trips.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Wait a full year.

I think this is what I should do (except for the small concern about the 2AZ-FE issues).
Her highway trips are well over 1/2 the mileage on it, so as I said, fuel dilution/moisture contamination is not a concern.

With so much oil sitting in my stash, I am just getting the itch to change it.
Maybe I will go change my mother in laws oil.

just change it for the peace of mind
smile.gif

I go 4K~ miles on my toyota but know I could go tad longer.

IMO....your under utilizing a good mid-range synthetic. As long as you take those 50 highway miles a few time a month, your short tripping should be negligible.....so 1 year or 6 to 7K should be OK. I would also suggest an 0w20.

I would also suggest getting a good top-tier filter such as the Fram ULTRA.....which can be used for two OC's (up to 15K). Its reasonably priced and can be purchased on-line or in the store, at you local WalMart.

Don't know how much fuel dilution one gets with cold starts in TX. I just dropped the oil in my 2013 Scion after the OCI light went solid and felt guilty as the oil looked very clean.
Not all diesels turn the oil to ink instantly. My third 7.3 now after several thousand miles on the oil change still is a caramel color(74k). Seems the 7.3 can go to 120k+ before its starts carbonizing up the oil.

Run it to the full year. And if you're worried about synthetic oil changed every 3,500-4,000 mi. letting the pistons get stoved up, keep the 5K change interval and run 89 octane in it.

I would go with 6 month or 6K mileage if your having piston problems or could have, could care less about throwing away oil, it's USED! i'm on a 5K or 6 month schedule, have 2 3.6 VVt engines that have or had timing chain issues, good to stay on top of it.
thumbsup2.gif

You win a thousand internet points for taking a photo of your ink blot test. Thanks and good on you, my friend!
cheers3.gif

According to my expert opinion, that oil looks really great and has life left in it yet. The edges of the blots are well defined and consistent with the color of the rest of the blots, so.. really, its pretty well good to go
smile.gif

• 4,930 miles, 6 months
  • 4,798 miles, 6 months
  • 3,763 miles, 5 months
  • 3,107 miles, 3 months
  • 3,261 miles, 4 months

Now, a 6 month/5,000 mile interval using synthetic
The past 3 changes were with Pennzoil Platinum
  • 4,988 miles, 6 months
  • 5,152 miles, 5 months
  • 4,976 miles, 6 months

Simplify. Forget the calendar. Go to a 5000 interval at round numbers: 40K, 45K, 50K. etc.

You win a thousand internet points for taking a photo of your ink blot test. Thanks and good on you, my friend!
cheers3.gif

According to my expert opinion, that oil looks really great and has life left in it yet. The edges of the blots are well defined and consistent with the color of the rest of the blots, so.. really, its pretty well good to go
smile.gif

+1
Blotter spot looks like oil is in excellent condition, I would've considered 10K OCI.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4412073/Re:_Can_I_delay_this_oil_chang#Post4412073

cheers3.gif

smile.gif

Oh boy! a thousand points. Thanks!
banana2.gif
LOL.
Here is what it looks like now 3 days later:

Hard to get a really good pic of it, but very even color throughout, no definable rings, dark spot or edges. I know blot tests are not always the most reliable (especially dependent on media, and coffee filters are very porous, card stock is a better media), but overall oil looks good as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

• 4,930 miles, 6 months
  • 4,798 miles, 6 months
  • 3,763 miles, 5 months
  • 3,107 miles, 3 months
  • 3,261 miles, 4 months

Now, a 6 month/5,000 mile interval using synthetic
The past 3 changes were with Pennzoil Platinum
  • 4,988 miles, 6 months
  • 5,152 miles, 5 months
  • 4,976 miles, 6 months

Simplify. Forget the calendar. Go to a 5000 interval at round numbers: 40K, 45K, 50K. etc.

Yeah, the initial odd ball mileage/months was due to getting in all my "free" oil changes within 2 years from the dealer. Since then, 6 month/5,000 miles has lined up close enough, usually hitting 5,000 miles right around 6 months, but not anymore.
6 months seems to be the recommended time-frame for many nowdays (as well as OEM recomendation). If the car was not doing the longer freeway drives as frequently, I think I would do the 6 month interval, but with them, I think I am going to stick with just mileage.

Originally Posted By: zeng
+1
Blotter spot looks like oil is in excellent condition, I would've considered 10K OCI.

I do have some 0w-20 Mobil 1 EP and an over-sized Bosch Distance Plus filter I have debated doing that with. But at the current rate it is driven, that would probably be over 2 years, and for me, I just can't make myself do that time frame.
I have done 10,000 mile intervals in the past, but that was in a vehicle I was driving 400+ miles a week, all highway.

So after reading and thinking about all this, I am going to make myself wait till 5,000 miles to change it, not worrying about time (should hit 5000 miles at around 13 months at current driving rate).
Thanks for the info all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back