Permanent Fix for Worn Sway Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replaced the rear sway bar bushings 8 months/3k miles ago which totally eliminated noises which happened only on a rare combination of bump and speed. In fact, there was only one spot where I could consistently create the classic sound. Now the sound is back but happening more often in an entirely different set of road conditions. The sway bar is worn and scored so I gave it a healthy wrap of teflon tape and reinstalled the practically new bushings. All noises gone. Since this 99 Avalon is 18 years old with 137k miles, I am not interested in buying a new sway bar. OTOH, I am not interested in doing a teflon wrap every 6 months. Does anyone have a feel for how long the teflon tape will work? Is there a better, longer lasting way to build-up the worn sway bar? Thanks.

Last edited:
A sleeve? I'm not sure if you are referring to the bar or end link....
Moog has replacements for some makes. Might be worth a look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The end where the link goes is worn out? I'm having the same issue on my Focus. I'm ... just going to live with it clunking.

No, the section of the bar that provides bearing for the sway bar bushing. Nothing to do with the sway bar end links. To keep things quiet, the rubber bushing has to clamp the bar. Even the smallest play will cause a major clunk. My sway bar has worn thin where the bushing clamps around it. For now the build-up with teflon tape is working perfectly.

Last edited:
I imagine if its worn significantly it will break there soon. Its like nicking a spring.
I guess you could drill and tap a grease nipple through the bracket and the bushing. I think if your going to want it to run silently for a long time you should just get a new bar and bushings and fix it once.

Could you go with bushings that are one size smaller (interior hole diameter) so that they will clamp down on the sway bar?? Or, go one size smaller AND with greaseable mounts??

Can sand and paint the spot on the sway bar where the original paint has worn off. Just go very light on the sanding, just enough to clean it up, rough it up.

Last edited:
Can't speak for permanent as only time will tell but what if you exposed the bar where needed snd:

1. Cut/wrap a piece of soaker hose ( from Home Depot to weep water around base of plants) around the bar or
2. Cut/wrap a piece of the cellulose pipe wrap (another Home Depot purchase).

Lots of trimming involved but I would imagine each would double up on the dampening you're after. And, if trimmed well, would be a nice snug fit. Also, both would be water resistant

The metal bar itself or wearing? Typically, the rubber "grips" the bar and just deforms during articulation... Poly bushings have rotation along their I.D.

That said, what about checking the OE spec'd bushing size and picking up an aftermarket unit with a slightly smaller diameter? Most PU makers like energy suspension offer sized-based part numbers. Just be aware the PU bushings like to squeak. Best I've found is Super Lube multi purpose grease... but eventhat needs greased often.

That is a low mileage for a Toyota although it is old based on model year.
Believe me, they don't build it like that anymore.
I know sometimes people think it is old but not in this case.

I would just shell out the money for a new sway bar if you want to keep the car for at least 100K miles which may be another 10-15 years at the current rate of use.
I don't think the new sway bar will be more than $100 plus some labor if you cannot do it yourself.

JMHO.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Just replaced the rear sway bar bushings 8 months/3k miles ago which totally eliminated noises which happened only on a rare combination of bump and speed. In fact, there was only one spot where I could consistently create the classic sound. Now the sound is back but happening more often in an entirely different set of road conditions. The sway bar is worn and scored so I gave it a healthy wrap of teflon tape and reinstalled the practically new bushings. All noises gone. Since this 99 Avalon is 18 years old with 137k miles, I am not interested in buying a new sway bar. OTOH, I am not interested in doing a teflon wrap every 6 months. Does anyone have a feel for how long the teflon tape will work? Is there a better, longer lasting way to build-up the worn sway bar? Thanks.

How much is a sway bar?

Never mind. About 80 bucks. I would think that car is worth 80 bucks plus saves you time messing with it, which you can't get back.

None of that stuff is going to last long and you will go out of your mind trying to stop the noise.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

I'm going to take her to my grave. I just did a complete detail inside and out. Looks almost brand new. The paint is smooth as glass. I have the Platinum Edition with the BMW style allow wheels.

I'm going to take her to my grave. I just did a complete detail inside and out. Looks almost brand new. The paint is smooth as glass. I have the Platinum Edition with the BMW style allow wheels.

So if it is that nice and you are taking it to the after life...Do yourself and your love a favor, buy her a new sway bar. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey and no more noise or time wasted. I did the hose trick on an old truck. It works but I eventually broke down and picked up a sway bar.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

So if it is that nice and you are taking it to the after life...Do yourself and your love a favor, buy her a new sway bar. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey and no more noise or time wasted. I did the hose trick on an old truck. It works but I eventually broke down and picked up a sway bar.

Agreed. Will get one lined-up for install as soon as I hear the first clunk. Thanks.

.... yeah those first generation Avalons are excellent cars
smile.gif

Glad you made a decision.

My suggestion (a guess) would have been a metallic tape Grainger sells to actually shim shafts. The stuff has a dimension so you know how thick you've gone.

If it stands up to farm machinery use........

I used some duct tape on the rear bar on my 95 Camry. A couple of wraps around the barAND around the outside of the bushing before I put the bracket around it. It stayed quiet for years until the car went to the junkyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back