Best civic brake pads from RA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need new front pads for GF's 09 Civic DX sedan, the factory pair only lasted about 45k KM (28K miles) and the replacement set were wagner thermoquiets that had a similar longevity. Hoping to find something that can last for at least 60K KM.

I've heard great things about Akebono but AFAIK, their ProACT set is what Honda sells as OEM parts which weren't impressive.... Can anyone confirm/deny?

Advics also has a good rep but ideally I'd like to get a pair of GG friction rated pads instead of the standard FF rating and I'm 99% sure the Advics are FF since they follow OEM specs.

Does anyone know of a confirmed GG friction pads for the 8th Civic for sale on rockauto? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hond...,brake+pad,1684

Thanks in advance!

If the factory-installed pads only lasted 28K, the service replacements should last at least twice as long. Honda revised the compound for the Gen 8 Civic. I have a customer with a 2010 that went 30-40k on the originals; the most recent pair of service replacements pads from the dealer have 8mm left after 15K miles.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
If the factory-installed pads only lasted 28K, the service replacements should last at least twice as long. Honda revised the compound for the Gen 8 Civic. I have a customer with a 2010 that went 30-40k on the originals; the most recent pair of service replacements pads from the dealer have 8mm left after 15K miles.

Do you know if they're FF or GG rated? Who makes the current OEM pads? Made in Japan I assume?

Originally Posted By: HKPolice

Do you know if they're FF or GG rated? Who makes the current OEM pads? Made in Japan I assume?

The ones I got were FF and were by Akebono. But the friction formula (the five digit code that is stamped) is different than the one on the ProACT pads.

The FF vs GG debate is way overrated. There are many other factors that can affect the performance of the friction material. The material's compressibility, the number of slots, the type of chamfers, etc. Also, the friction codes only indicate ranges.

I have a buddy that swears by RAYBESTOS "Professional Grade Ceramic" for his Honda's. Good bite and long(er) wear.
I too have had good success with RAYBESTOS but, I used the RAYBESTOS "Service Grade Ceramic" on my Nissan's. Also good bite and long wear.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice

Does anyone know of a confirmed GG friction pads for the 8th Civic for sale on rockauto? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hond...,brake+pad,1684

Thanks in advance!

The Raybestos EHT (enhanced hybrid technology) are usually GG rated and are available pretty cheap. Although I haven't heard much about them. You should try them and let us know
smile.gif
I plan to try them on my next brake job.

When did they do this? Why did they do this? Sorry not trying to say you're a liar or anything, I'm just wondering what this is about since I haven't heard of this. How does one know if they got a revised compound?

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

When did they do this? Why did they do this? Sorry not trying to say you're a liar or anything, I'm just wondering what this is about since I haven't heard of this. How does one know if they got a revised compound?

I no longer have a copy of the TSB, but if you want it subscribe to alldatadiy, you can obtain a copy of it.

https://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/24/092402bb.html

SN-12-07-04 "Brakes - Replacement Brake Pad Information"

Another vote for Akebono. Being in Canada, you definitely want to make sure everything is lubed up and not sticking.

What's you GF's driving style? Jack-rabbit or city driving takes a toll on brakes.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
EBC Ultimax2, but it's not available through RockAuto. You can get it from Summit Racing.
AMAZON carries some EBC.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have a buddy that swears by RAYBESTOS "Professional Grade Ceramic" for his Honda's. Good bite and long(er) wear.
I too have had good success with RAYBESTOS but, I used the RAYBESTOS "Service Grade Ceramic" on my Nissan's. Also good bite and long wear.

Good info, thank you! Plan to try a set of Raybestos Service Grade Ceramics for my wife's CX-9.

Originally Posted By: BrewCityR
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Good info, thank you! Plan to try a set of Raybestos Service Grade Ceramics for my wife's CX-9.

I use these, too. PGD ceramic or SGD ceramic, both work well.

I wouldn't go overboard with pad material hardness, you don't want to compromise cold performance.
OEM pad material is very good these days and aftermarket solution usually have a hard time matching OEMs in all aspects. If they beat OEM in one, like longevity, it will come at a cost of say, cold braking performance.

Hondas are picky about brake pads - when a friend had a 8th gen Civic, I tried ThemoQuiets only to have them making a racket weeks later. I swapped them out for Monroe Total Solution Ceramics from the local parts house and all was well.

Akebono and Advics are OEM Honda suppliers(outside of Nissin) but the aftermarket compounds might be different from the OEM one. My pick for Japanese cars are OEM/OES or PBR/Axxis, which are made by Bendix Mintex in Australia.

OEM pads are $85 from stealership.....
mad.gif

Thanks for the input guys, keep them coming please!

Also trying to decide between Centric 125 high carbon rotors vs Raybestos advanced technology rotors. I know both are made in China, but which one has a more durable E-coating? Does the high carbon alloy actually help against warping or pad deposits?

It's pretty sad that there aren't more objective tests of aftermarket auto parts like there is for oil.
frown.gif

Not from RockAuto, but I'm happy with my made-in-Canada NAPA Adaptive One's on my Honda Pilot. I matched them to NAPA Ultra Premium e-coated rotors. The AO pads are GG rated, and that's important since Honda upped the required FF rating for my vehicle after the fact. Also I believe the GG rating, since it's not rated in China.

The EBC Ultimax pads are good, but they are not available from Rock Auto. However, AutoAnything does have good prices on EBC's pads and rotors.

Akebono's ASP might also satisfy your needs. They don't seem to be available from Rock Auto, but Amazon and eBay have them. Part number ASP465A

But if Rock Auto is a must, there's the Raybestos Element3 EHT pads being GG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back