High mileage CVT fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to change the CVT fluid on my 2009 Jeep Patriot, however I wanted the opinion of some of you first.

I know with automatic transmissions, if the fluid and transmission are too far gone, the particulates in the fluid can help the clutches in the transmission engage and filling with fresh fluid can cause the transmission to start slipping.

Obviously CVT transmissions work in a different fashion, however I do not know much about them. My Patriot has about 120,000 miles, or 193,000 kilometers, and I am not sure if the fluid has ever been changed. The fluid appears look like fresh motor oil, which from what I understand is what it should look like (I've read that the original fluid has a green tint with turns to the color of motor oil relatively quickly). The fluid does not appear to be dirty. Is there any risk changing the fluid?

Also, I am planning on using Valvoline CVT fluid, which claims to meet CVTF+4 specifications. Is this a good oil, and is there any reason to use OEM fluid over it? Thanks for your advice.

PS, I have a dipstick for this transmission, as well as a scan tool that can read the transmission temperature. Also, I plan on replacing the filter and pan gasket and have access to a pit in a garage.

It shouldn't be a problem. My friend had the same vehicle as you and changed his out at 140k from what was probably the original fluid. Only difference is he used AMSOIL's CVT fluid. It ran great afterwards.

I also changed out the CVT fluid on a Nissan Sentra at 134k, no issues with it either until they sold it at 190k to get a brand new Fusion. The Nissan was starting to use oil at a qt in 500 miles and it poisoned the CAT.

Austin, if you're uneasy about it, you could suction out whatever CVT fluid you can get from the dipstick tube and refill with the amount you took out. Drive it around for awhile and if all is well, do the pan drop, clean and refill. I would imagine the fluid will look black. I know it was very dark in my 2016 Nissan Quest CVT at only 32K miles, where new OEM fluid is blue. I'd easily use Valvoline CVT juice in your Jeep. I plan to use it in my Subaru CVT at some point.

Just did a drain/fill on a Honda CVT with 120k on its black and burnt fluid. Put in about 4qts of Castrol CVT fluid and seems fine after.

Amazon has a case of Castrol CVT fluid for $35 so that is the cheapest I have found so far.

Nothing wrong with Valvoline, but Amazon has Castrol CVT at a good price too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Just did a drain/fill on a Honda CVT with 120k on its black and burnt fluid. Put in about 4qts of Castrol CVT fluid and seems fine after.

Amazon has a case of Castrol CVT fluid for $35 so that is the cheapest I have found so far.

You can use castrol cvt fluid in the Honda ?? I heard the Honda cvt's only suppose to use Honda cvt fluid ONLY

Originally Posted By: Ram02
You can use castrol cvt fluid in the Honda ?? I heard the Honda cvt's only suppose to use Honda cvt fluid ONLY

Well, the manufacturer is going to tell you that. Honda would have you using only Honda branded toilet paper if they could get away with it.

Valvoline CVT fluid also claims to meet Honda (HMMF) specifications.

Originally Posted By: AustinD
Also, I am planning on using Valvoline CVT fluid, which claims to meet CVTF+4 specifications.

It is "recommended for" that use, right?

Originally Posted By: Ram02
Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Yep meets spec and was the best price I could find.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/BEE1DAAC8509BE8C80257DA5006202D0/$File/BPXE-9RV9FP.pdf

Suitable for use where:
Toyota CVT Fluid TC
Toyota CVT Fluid FE
Nissan CVT Fluid NS-1
Nissan CVT Fluid NS-2
Nissan CVT Fluid NS-3
MMC DIAQUEEN ATF SP-III
MMC DIAQUEEN CVT Fluid J1
MMC DIAQUEEN CVT Fluid J4
Mazda CVTF 3320
Subaru i-CVT Fluid
Subaru i-CVT FG
Subaru Lineartronic High Torque Chain CVTF
Daihatsu AMMIX CVT Fluid DC
Daihatsu AMMIX CVT Fluid DFE
Suzuki CVT Fluid 3320
Suzuki CVT Fluid Green 1
Suzuki CVT Fluid Green 2
Suzuki CVTF TC
Suzuki NS-2
Honda HCF-2
Hyundai/Kia SP-III
Chrysler NS-2
Chrysler CVTF+4
Mini Cooper EZL799
Ford CVT23
MB 236.20

^

I just flipped the washer that was on the Honda I did. I think it was just a normal aluminum washer, not a crush one. If you have the same just clean and flip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back