Quiet A/T tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing as a quiet all terrain tire? Frankly I am just sick of the rumble noise out of A/T tires! I am thinking about getting an aggressive all season tire but worried about the snow performance? Other then dirt roads I don't go off road but here in Western Massachusetts we can get pounded with snow.

2012 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

Aggressive terrain tires aren't the best choice for snow due to less biting edges. You can find an all-season tire that will surprise you.

I had Goodyear Wrangler HP in my 2008 Nissan Pathfinder and i thought they were quiet.

The HP is an All Season tyre and we never had problems with grip in any conditions.

Not sure if you can get them where you live though.

I was very impressed with the all around performance of the Firestone Destination A/T tires I had on our Jeep Cherokee and Ford Escape. Great Dry, Wet and Snow performance and they were quieter than I thought they would be on road. I didn't think they were any nosier than regular all seasons.

BFG Rugged Terrains came stock on my Tacoma and ride smooth and quiet. They are probably the soft compound for new vehicles but I wouldn't mind buying them again.

I'd also suggest looking into an all season tire with good snow traction. They're often marketed as "All-Weather" tires. Basically all-season tires that have the snow traction of a mountain-snowflake winter tire. They should be quieter on the highway, handle on the road better, and offer better gas mileage. Nokian is a common well regarded brand, but there are others.

I think either way, your best best would be to get something with the mountain snow flake, even if it is an All Terrain, one that comes to mind is the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor.

I think the quietest A/Ts currently would be in this order:
-Firestone Destination LE (more of a A/T and highway hybrid tire)
-Firestone Destination A/T
-Cooper Discoverer AT3

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Is there such a thing as a quiet all terrain tire? Frankly I am just sick of the rumble noise out of A/T tires! I am thinking about getting an aggressive all season tire but worried about the snow performance? Other then dirt roads I don't go off road but here in Western Massachusetts we can get pounded with snow.

2012 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

I just replaced the noisy Cooper AT's tires on my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 with Kelly Edge AT tires. No noise and a better ride.

The BFG AT's on my F250 had a little noise (acceptable to me)... but the Cooper AT3 that I ran on my F150 were very quiet. Replaced those with Wild Peak AT3W last year and these are even quieter. Very smooth.

Snow tires for winter. They make a difference. I barely hear mine on my Tundra -- I think a quiet vehicle will better tolerate more aggressive tires, in general. Said snows probably offer ok performance in dirt, depending upon how many miles you drive per year, and how much of it is in the really hot months, maybe a change to snows for year round usage.

The Hankook ATM's I just got have a bit of hum at 30-40mph but all other noise takes over above that, it seems.

My Bridgestone Revo 2's are pretty quiet. There is a noticeable sound compared to the HT tires before. I can't complain though. Also my truck has really good NVH which helps.

Last edited:
Another suggestion for Firestone Destination A/T's. I have them on my '87 Toyota fishin' wagon and they are quiet. Plus, they have been durable on rocky terrain and seem to be wearing very well.

Have a sent of Goodyear All Terrain Adventures on a work truck. Decent all around tire and quiet for an all terrain. Have the snowflake symbol too.

Another vote for Cooper AT3. Quiet with fantastic traction. Had I chosen to put in all terrain tire on my Toyota 4Runner last I would have bought a set of these instead I ended up with a set of Michelin Highway Tires Defender LTX M/S to be exact.

I've got BFG All Terrains on my Jeep. Definitely not the quietest tire, but it's a Jeep and it's definitely not quiet going down the road itself.

Grandparent's Trailblazer is getting Cooper AT3's tomorrow morning, I'll comment back on the noise.

Firestone Destination AT. Quiet, wear well, decent performance, and pricing is decent. Used several sets of these in the past.

Currently have a set of the Goodyear all terrain adventures on my F150 and so far they have been good. 17,000 miles so far. Good all around and quiet to boot.

I have Toyo Open Country A/T II's on my old 4Runner. Pretty much all it's used for these days, is winter driving, and four wheeling trips. I live where we get a lot of snow. They do great in snow, and I find them to be quiet on paved roads for a moderately aggressive A/T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back