Recent filter change - 2010 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I recently removed a Honda air filter from my 2010 Odyssey and replaced it with a WIX 49170 air filter. The Honda filter had been in since 11/20/2015 (about 14,000 miles ago).

Looks like it can go another 6x the time, that is about 2 hours worth of dirt for my XJ on a dry summer day.

Originally Posted By: EricBeau
I recently removed a Honda air filter from my 2010 Odyssey and replaced it... The Honda filter had been in since 11/20/2015 (about 14,000 miles ago).
Why?

Lots of miles left in that Honda AF. Just a round figure I'd say at least ~20k more miles.

What I can see of the Wix, it does appear to be a well made AF.

I would definitely change a filter that looked like that. I don't really care if it has more life in it, for $20 a brand new OEM filter gives me the warm fuzzies.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
+1 to Sayjac.
That old filter in the photo will keep more dirt out of the engine than the new one.

This. A dirty filter filters better than a brand new one.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Lots of miles left in that Honda AF. Just a round figure I'd say at least ~60k more miles.

Fixed.

Why do you say that? The seal is already falling off the right side.

Quote:
.....What I can see of the Wix, it does appear to be a well made AF.

Why do you say that? The seal is already falling off the right side.

Falling off? As I can't see if it's "falling off" or perhaps just displaced to the side in/for the pic. With rigid frame AF's I've seen that before and just a matter of snapping it back in position for installation. Also having viewed many oil and air filter pics on this site over the years I trust the OPs to mention if there was/is an issue with the filter, over strictly a pic. OP made no such mention. That's why.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Lots of miles left in that Honda AF. Just a round figure I'd say at least ~60k more miles.

Fixed.

Perhaps with an installed air box filterminder I might go/say that much. Without one, "at least ~20k miles" a nice round reasonable estimate imo.

They ain't expensive or hard to install.......
thumbsup2.gif

idk how you guys figure old filter is better and more efficient when I see people changing old filters because of silicone content ppm on oil analysis. When the UOA starts increasing in ppm then its time to off the filter.

There are two issues with that. First off, changing the air filter might not be the right response. Secondly, with an old filter filtering better, there are limits. That's assuming the filter is in a good state of repair and that the air plumbing is still in order. A thirty year old filter that's been torn apart by mice isn't going to be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back