Torquing Rear Control Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1999Toyota Avalon

I am replacing the rear control arm assemblies (the ones that adjust toe). I saw or read somewhere that the car weight must be resting on the wheels before you torque to make sure bushings are in correct position. I can not find the reference and wonder if anyone can tell me. It is much easier to torque with car jacked up on stands and tires hanging free but I want to do it the right way. Thanks.

Oh, the arms are 48730 and 48740 on the diagram:

https://parts.toyota.com/a/63045254__6709454/REAR-SPRING--SHOCK-ABSORBER/361410-4804.html

Last edited:
For all rubber suspension "bushings" you must tighten the attachment bolts with the suspension at it's normal ride height. Do not tighten the attachment bolts with the suspension at full droop, as it is when on jack stands. To do so will twist the rubber bushing relative to the metal sleeve(s) when the vehicle is back at normal ride height. This will lead to premature failure of the bushing.

In the diagram you reference, it appears that bolts 48703E should be tightened with the suspension at its normal right height.

The exception to this rule is when the bushing is an actual "bearing", one where the center sleeve can rotate freely when it's installed on the suspension control arm.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
For all rubber suspension "bushings" you must tighten the attachment bolts with the suspension at it's normal ride height. Do not tighten the attachment bolts with the suspension at full droop, as it is when on jack stands. To do so will twist the rubber bushing relative to the metal sleeve(s) when the vehicle is back at normal ride height. This will lead to premature failure of the bushing.

In the diagram you reference, it appears that bolts 48703E should be tightened with the suspension at its normal right height.

The exception to this rule is when the bushing is an actual "bearing", one where the center sleeve can rotate freely when it's installed on the suspension control arm.

Scott

Thanks. I found the reference which confirms your advice. I will have to check but I think the design of these arms is the bearing type you call out as an exception.

It's got rubber bushings for the control arms; I can see them in the drawing. You need to back the car up on Rhino ramps (or something similar) before you do the final tightening. If you're thin enough to get under their while the car is on the floor, that's even better. A four post lift is the easiest way if you got one of those in your garage.

I like to get the weight of the car down on the ground, and bounce the suspension a few times to make sure its settled before reefing on the bolts.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's got rubber bushings for the control arms; I can see them in the drawing. You need to back the car up on Rhino ramps (or something similar) before you do the final tightening. If you're thin enough to get under their while the car is on the floor, that's even better. A four post lift is the easiest way if you got one of those in your garage.

The ones I am replacing definitely have bearing bushings instead of fixed bushings. I don't know if the companion control arms 48710 and 48720 also have bearing bushings. Both arms are torqued with the same bolt so I have to determine that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

The ones I am replacing definitely have bearing bushings instead of fixed bushings. I don't know if the companion control arms 48710 and 48720 also have bearing bushings. Both arms are torqued with the same bolt so I have to determine that.

Ok, both control arms rotate freely as you would expect considering how much movement they see. Thanks to all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back