Synthetic 10W40 vs Mineral 15W40 (Both HDEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! Will a synthetic 10W40 HDEO (Shell Rimula R6M/R6LM) with a viscosity index of 153 be more shear stable than the mineral 15w40 counterpart (Shell Rimula R4X) with a viscosity index of 139?

Are there any other benefits of running the synthetic version other than cold start, resistance to thinning at higher temps, and longer drain intervals? (Ambient temps ranges from 26-33 celcius/80-95 fahrenheit, summer all the time)

Lastly, which one of the oils do you think is better for lots of stop/go riding? There are lots of traffic lights (80-90% City), will synthetics last longer/protect better than minerals for these conditions? Or will it be better to use mineral and change it more frequently?

I would use 15/40 if your concerned about shearing and simply change at the recommended intervals.

You dont have cold weather in Singapore but if you did ride in 40 F degree weather then maybe I would choose a 10/40 for that time of year only.

My bad forgot to mention that it is a motorcycle. Is the mineral version good enough to protect during harsh usage and high heat? The people I know that use HDEO generally use their bikes strictly as commuters, dont know firsthand anybody yet that rides hard using HDEO.

By the way, is it accurate to use shift feel to estimate the viscosity of the oil? I heard that if the shifting becomes hard or difficult to find neutral, the oil is broken down or something

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alex_at
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Marine 25w40.

Never heard that recommendation before, which Marine 25W40?

Here is some to choose from
25/40 oil

Rod

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Brandonysz
Hi guys! Will a synthetic 10W40 HDEO (Shell Rimula R6M/R6LM) with a viscosity index of 153 be more shear stable than the mineral 15w40 counterpart (Shell Rimula R4X) with a viscosity index of 139?

Shell Rimula R6M and Rimula R4X both carry the JASO rating for wet clutch motorcycles. Both are fine. I wouldn't worry about finding a thicker 20W40 or 25W40 marine oil, especially considering a marine oil is probably loaded with MOLY which is not good for a motorcycle clutch. I'd use the Rimula R4x myself and just change the oil every 2k to 3K miles or earlier if the shifting starts deteriorating.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Brandonysz

Shell Rimula R6M and Rimula R4X both carry the JASO rating for wet clutch motorcycles. Both are fine. I wouldn't worry about finding a thicker 20W40 or 25W40 marine oil, especially considering a marine oil is probably loaded with MOLY which is not good for a motorcycle clutch. I'd use the Rimula R4x myself and just change the oil every 2k to 3K miles or earlier if the shifting starts deteriorating.

G'day bubbatime. I have been reading on here for quite a while looking for a direct comparison of Rimula R4X to the the Rotella T4. I have assumed (which is always dangerous) that they are the same. Has anyone lab tested the R4X to show it's the same oil package as the T4? I am dropping off some oil samples to a Caterpillar service centre here in Oz and was going to get a VOA done....... but if I can save $40......
FYI The R4X will be going in the DR650.... picked up a heap @

Shell Rimula R4X does carry a Jaso approval, but not Jaso MA as we motorcyclists need, it has JASO-DH1, which is a new Diesel engine standard!

Neither is it Allison approved ....

The R4X has been tested on my aircooled 200cc bike, no problems with the clutch. Im curious whether the synthetic R6 provides better protection than the R4X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back