Where do you buy ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Target Sports has competitive pricing and offers free shipping on case quantities for those concerned about shipping cost.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
SGammo dot com is the best

Ive heard people say that before, but it's never really clear why. Their prices don't seem all that competitive all the time, and I'm not sure their website is all that superior to any other.

Academy (nearby) usually has good everyday prices, BUT I often find stuff there on 'clearance' or deeply discounted, when 'off season' ; ie, birdshells in the winter, riflerounds in the summer, etc. Can really economize if 'stocking up' long before you 'need' the stuff.

Cabelas, combining 'free ship to store', a $20 off $100 cabelas coupon, AND rounds on SALE, AND a REBATE ANNNND pay with a Cabelas Gift Card purchased at Kroger($0.10 to $1.00 off gallon gas) can net result in a really good price!!
Perfect example is AA shotshells RIGHT NOW ! reg $95 a case == net price after all discounts/sales/rebates = $41 a case !!!

the 'math'
reg price = $94.99
sale price = $84.99
$20 off $100 = $64.99
$20 AA rebate = $44.99
$3.50 gas disc = $41.49

Last edited:
I make my own.
wink.gif

SGAmmo is my favorite. They sometimes offer stuff you can't get elsewhere, their shipping costs are low, and they usually ship fast. Their ammo prices are always competitive. Usually the lowest or very close to the lowest unless you find someone that is offering a sale price/special deal. *I only buy military surplus ammo so I don't know how their commercial stuff compares, though.*

Widener's reloading is probably my first choice for components.

Gun-deals.com is a price aggregation site. They don't actually sell anything, they just list prices of what's for sale. I usually also check ammoman.com and Graf's before buying also. Ammoman includes shipping in their price and Graf's does flat rate shipping of like $9 for everything, including ammo.

That said, I buy from whoever has what I want that's cheapest, including shipping. If vendor A has the ammo I want, and it's $0.01 cheaper per round to buy from them, they get my money. I have zero loyalty to any specific online vendor.

I used to do bulk purchases of ammo at gun shows, but their prices were just a little cheaper than buying online, including shipping, they didn't always have the ammo I wanted, and I don't have to pay for parking and admission to the show.

BSW

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Academy (nearby) usually has good everyday prices, BUT I often find stuff there on 'clearance' or deeply discounted, when 'off season' ; ie, birdshells in the winter, riflerounds in the summer, etc. Can really economize if 'stocking up' long before you 'need' the stuff.

Cabelas, combining 'free ship to store', a $20 off $100 cabelas coupon, AND rounds on SALE, AND a REBATE ANNNND pay with a Cabelas Gift Card purchased at Kroger($0.10 to $1.00 off gallon gas) can net result in a really good price!!
Perfect example is AA shotshells RIGHT NOW ! reg $95 a case == net price after all discounts/sales/rebates = $41 a case !!!

the 'math'
reg price = $94.99
sale price = $84.99
$20 off $100 = $64.99
$20 AA rebate = $44.99
$3.50 gas disc = $41.49

I do the same at Cabelas. Whenever they send out a $xx off $xxx coupon, I use that to buy ammo or components. I've found the best price for their Sellier and Bellot primers at $20/box, then I buy powder off the shelf. It saves me from hazmat fees. If I ever got into competitive shooting, I'd probably order larger jugs online.

For loaded ammo, I have purchased a lot of the Walmart Perfecta at ~$9.47/box, and have also purchased online from Target Sports USA. I've stopped buying loaded ammo since I started reloading a few months ago though.

SG ammo or outdoor limited are on my short list if I want a lot otherwise I'll buy local if I just need a couple boxes for a short range visit.

Last time I bought carry ammo it was online at SG ammo, you will never find the stuff you want local they only stock junk around here.

At tire shops. I buy old wheel weights and melt them down into ingots. I keep some and cast it into bullets, but most I sell. I then use the proceeds to buy powder, primers, etc.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
Target Sports has competitive pricing and offers free shipping on case quantities for those concerned about shipping cost.

Yup. Last order I put in Thurs Evening and got it Sat morning before 9AM

Last edited:
I just bought a case of 250 Federal Top Gun 12ga. 1 1/8 oz 3 dram shells for $49.00 at the Gander Mountain close out sale. Outdoor world usually has sales in the winter on cases of shot shells. If you have a Gander Mountain close, make a run for the ammo section.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
SGammo dot com is the best

Ive heard people say that before, but it's never really clear why. Their prices don't seem all that competitive all the time, and I'm not sure their website is all that superior to any other.

They are reliable, never had an issue with them, and they are drama-free, which means a lot when ordering ammeaux.

Well I stocked up on 9mm, .45ACP and what I could of .357 and .223 Perfecta at Walmart while they still carried it. I have found Cabelas and Sportsmans guide when they have free shipping or ship to store to be decent. Target Ammo is OK but shipping kills it ususlly. But I did get a screaming deal on Remington .38 and .357 SD rounds awhile back. Surprised Walmart has not signed on a replacement for Perfect which was made by Fiocchi and was good stuff.

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

the 'math'
reg price = $94.99
sale price = $84.99
$20 off $100 = $64.99
$20 AA rebate = $44.99
$3.50 gas disc = $41.49

Good post. A lot of people complain about Cabela's prices. What many don't understand is what you have explained. You've got to do your homework, along with the math, and not just, "go in and buy". I live just 2 miles from the Glendale, Arizona Cabela's. And I'm in there all the time. If you combine the discount cards they send out, along with, "employee discount pricing" coupons, (which vary from item to item), you can really make out. Even on items that are already on sale. Cabela's is one of the few stores that allow you to, "double up" on coupons and discounts. They also have good deals on FMJ range ammo. I've bought 115 FMJ 9 MM for as little as $7.85 a box, (brass cased, boxer primed, and reloadable), after applying all of the discounts that were available at the time.

It's the same with guns and magazines. Some are no deal at all. Others can be a steal if you again apply all of the discounts available. Time of the year is important as well. This is pretty much the "dead season" for most firearm related stuff. Especially after the results of the last election. So look for deals from June to late August. Once the hunting season starts in the Fall, not so much. They also opened a new Sportsman's Warehouse just a few miles from Cabela's. (We now have a total of 3 Valley wide). And that competition helps drive good deals as well.... From both places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back