Lawn weed identification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to identify this weed. Have gone through the website with pictures of common lawn weeds with no luck.

The thing that should identify it is towards the bottom of the leaf is a "tooth" on each side. (Maybe a fang.)

Red sorrel?
redsorrel1.jpg

How does it appear on the ground? I have always had better luck identifying weeds if you show them as they grow on the ground.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Red sorrel?

That's gotta be it. Has the same flared out section at the bottom of the leaf and everything.

We get those allover the place here. Anyone here remember Speargrass? We always had Speargrass wars when we were kids.

I'm assuming your not growing it as a crop and want to know the best way to kill it.

My 2 cents:
Ortho (any big box store) makes some good weed killers.

One day I looked at the weed-killers I had in the garage.
Why so many ? ? ? What's the difference ? ? ?
It was confusing. Then I read the ingredients.

It looks like the active ingredients are derived from the "salts of different acids".

Your typical Broad-Leaf-Weed killer contains 0.5% active ingredient.
For a little tougher weed, it's 8.0%
For the toughest weeds, 17.0%

Different products, different salts of acids, different %'s
Spray too much, grass will start to die, but does grow back.

When I wanted to get my lawn in better shape, what worked good for me was:
1) Spray with a Weed-N-Feed using a garden hose and spray the whole lawn.
This gave good coverage and got rid of most weeds.
Repeat 2 Weeks later.

2) Buy some weed-killer in concentrate form and spot treat the tougher weeds using a pump sprayer.

It's a balancing act between weed control and using minimum amount of chemicals.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Exactly what kind of weed is it ? ? ?
Probably what someone posted in that photo (or of the same sub-species).

My Brother has a walking path in his back-yard.
He noticed that the Daiseys along the 'sides' of the path were growing shorter than what was growing in the tall grass.
I would guess that the shorter ones were not competing for sun-light and knew they didn't have to grow so tall.
Same flowers, some what different look.

Same with trees, in the forest, they grow taller and straighter.

Red sorrel apparently only grows where the dirt is too poor for grass to grow well. So lime and fertilizer should help. I will probably hit it with some 2,4-D weed killer also.

Then overseed.

Last edited:
The soil shown by the O.P. looks like clay. So poor soil fits the bill there.

I've seen similar plantation develop in my concrete driveway cracks. What's really bad this year here in Lower Michigan is quackgrass. I've gotten more this year, than in the past several years.

We are also looking at another summer where the nut trees are not dropping at all. This is the 3rd time in the past four years. Our neighborhood squirrel population is really sparse these days. In normal times, I would count 5-10 squirrels right outside my living room window. Now I'm staring at only (1, as I type this response.

Last edited:
I was spraying Tzone SE on some wild violets weeds and had a little left and sprayed some on the red sorrel and over night the area I sprayed looked well on the way to dying. The wild violets were not effected the same way. Hopefully in a few days the wild violets will die also.

I was spraying Tzone SE on some wild violets weeds and had a little left and sprayed some on the red sorrel and over night the area I sprayed looked well on the way to dying. The wild violets were not effected the same way. Hopefully in a few days the wild violets will die also.

This time of the year those waxy leaved weeds are hard to kill. Poison Ivy is like that around me. Either get it when the leaves are young or wait.

Maybe add some glycerin to the spray mix? That helps keep the spray in a semi liquid state on the leaf pulling water out of the air.

If you have a smartphone, there are free apps available that can identify it. It came in handy for some guy I know who recently bought a house from a police officer. He couldn't identify something growing in plain sight in the front flower bed which the app identified as...
whistle.gif
Let's just say the app was accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back