Toyota 22RE top end rebuild starts tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tearing down my 92 Toyota 22RE engine tomorrow. New head, timing chain kit, water pump, and oil pump will be installed.

My plan to seal it all back up. This engine does use gaskets except for the oil pan, and the oil pan uses Toyota FIPG or equivalent. I plan on using Gasgacinch/Edelbrock for the timing cover, water pump, intake(not water ports), upper plenum, and throttle body. Edelbrock recommends RTV only around the intake water ports.

What would you use to seal the engine?

http://gasgacinch.com/

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/350/350-9300.pdf

If you're doing this in the truck, and it's a stock height 4x4 truck, the front axle will be really in the way of taking the oil pan off. So don't, just drop it down some so you have clearance to put the timing cover on.

Modern gaskets of good quality usually don't need sealer.

Last edited:
Permatex Hi-Tack. Never failed me when I do need to install a cut gasket that doesn't explicitly say install dry but does need a little something to hold it in place.

Be careful with RTV/FIPG around the input/output ports of the oil pump, use silicone-based sealers sparingly - enough to seal with only a tiny bit of squeeze out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
If you're doing this in the truck, and it's a stock height 4x4 truck, the front axle will be really in the way of taking the oil pan off. So don't, just drop it down some so you have clearance to put the timing cover on.

Modern gaskets of good quality usually don't need sealer.

It's 2wd drive truck, so it's not too much work to get the oil pan off.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Permatex Hi-Tack. Never failed me when I do need to install a cut gasket that doesn't explicitly say install dry but does need a little something to hold it in place.

Be careful with RTV/FIPG around the input/output ports of the oil pump, use silicone-based sealers sparingly - enough to seal with only a tiny bit of squeeze out.

I was going to roll with the Hi-Tack, but saw a builder that specializes in the 22R, and they use Gasgacinch. I was going to use the Hi-Tack, but changed my mind.

Oil pump has a big giant o-ring that seals it. No sealer needed on it. It sits on the front of the engine at the crank.

One more question.

Pretty sure the piston tops will have lots of carbon. What would you guys use to clean the piston tops? I have carb cleaner, acetone, and brake cleaner on hand.

I've done this job probably 40+ times. Maybe more.

I've had the best luck with Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket. I've also used it quite a bit while building engines when I worked at a rebuilder and then at a race shop. The turbine mechanics at work use it on aircraft turbine case halves. It's really good stuff.

You don't actually have to drop the oil pan to do the job. But you can if you want to. No need to use FIPG from Toyota. Permatex Ultra Grey works very well.

Don't forget the long Allen head bolt near the thermostat on the intake.

Don't forget the front cylinder head bolt forward of the timing chain and under the distributor gear. Its hidden by oil usually. It has a 12mm head.

Let me know if you have questions!

I should clarify. You can use the form a Gasket on all paper gasket surfaces.

However my personal technique is to use it on both sides of the timing cover gaskets just brush it on and assemble.

For the intake gaskets I only use it around the water portions.

Both sides of the water pump gasket.

Use it on the two water pipe gaskets on each side of the timing cover both sides.

Everything else goes on dry.

@FlyNavyP3

I know I can install the water pump on the timing cover when I have the timing cover on the bench. There is one big long bolt on the pump that I will have to install after the cover is mounted because I think it goes into the block. Can I install the oil pump on the timing cover too when it's on the bench? Would be easier for me to get that big oil pump o-ring seated right on the bench.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
@FlyNavyP3

I know I can install the water pump on the timing cover when I have the timing cover on the bench. There is one big long bolt on the pump that I will have to install after the cover is mounted because I think it goes into the block. Can I install the oil pump on the timing cover too when it's on the bench? Would be easier for me to get that big oil pump o-ring seated right on the bench.

Yes, you absolutely can. Keep track of which oil pump bolts go where as well as they're different lengths and putting the wrong long one in the wrong place will bind the tensioner. The short bolts that only bolt into the timing cover can be used to install the oil pump with the timing cover on the bench.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
There is a 12mm headed bolt under the distributer gear. Dont miss it and break the timing cover like the shops here do.

Hanes manual pointed that bolt out, so I know about it, but yeah I could see how that bolt gets missed because it is submerged in oil.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
@FlyNavyP3

Yes, you absolutely can. Keep track of which oil pump bolts go where as well as they're different lengths and putting the wrong long one in the wrong place will bind the tensioner. The short bolts that only bolt into the timing cover can be used to install the oil pump with the timing cover on the bench.

OK that sounds good. That timing cover laying flat with the o-ring in the groove should stay put when I install the pump to cover. I will use a little dab of grease on the o-ring to help hold it in the groove of the timing cover.

Should I pack the pump with some multipurpose grease? Some say yes, and some say no. The no people say that assembly lube is enough, which is what I was going to do. On the other hand, using some grease would help hold the pump gears in the oil pump housing.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
@FlyNavyP3

OK that sounds good. That timing cover laying flat with the o-ring in the groove should stay put when I install the pump to cover. I will use a little dab of grease on the o-ring to help hold it in the groove of the timing cover.

Should I pack the pump with some multipurpose grease? Some say yes, and some say no. The no people say that assembly lube is enough, which is what I was going to do. On the other hand, using some grease would help hold the pump gears in the oil pump housing.

I do not recommend grease in the oil pump. The gears dont fall out easily even if coated in oil. I personally use assembly lube to ensure a quick prime on startup. I haven't had any issues with that practice yet including new engine builds. Be sure to use plenty of lube on the camshaft when you install it as well. Timing chain I lube with oil after everything is back on but before the valve cover goes on, it just gets a quart dumped directly on it before the VC goes on.

OK sounds good to me.

Thanks everybody for all the advice!

As someone else said, put a little oil or assembly lube (not grease) in the oil pump. Before you put the valve cover on, pour some oil on the cam lobes and timing chain. Then take the spark plugs out and crank until you see oil coming through the cam so you know the pump is primed.

Maybe apples and oranges, but, I was told by Jeep guys to pack vaseline around the oil pump gears to ensure a prime. This was a 360 V* with an external OP driven off the distributor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Maybe apples and oranges, but, I was told by Jeep guys to pack vaseline around the oil pump gears to ensure a prime. This was a 360 V* with an external OP driven off the distributor.

Always with any gear oil pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back