15 Nissan Rogue, 4869 miles, Liquimoly 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my second oil analysis from Wix (I wanted to try the Wix service and compare it to Blackstone, needless to say I will be using Blackstone from now on).

Anyway, this report is from my wife's 2015 Nissan Rogue. At this oil change, I switched the oil over to Liquimoly Special-Tec Ow20 from Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 0w20 (with a K&N Gold oil filter). From my research, it seems like Liquimoly is highly regarded, so I wanted to see if it was worth the higher price tag versus the Pennzoil. The first image depicts the most recent analysis with the Liquimoly:

This next picture is of our initial Wix oil analysis from the Pennzoil Platinum:

My concern is the amount of sodium and potassium in the Liquimoly. While it appears that there are less wear metals in the Liquimoly, I wonder if the increased sodium and potassium are either additives in the LM or if this is an early sign of coolant leaks/oil contamination (even though the lab lists no coolant in the oil)? I also noted less additives overall in the Liquimoly, specifically molybdenum. How would you take the results of these samples? Should I stick the LM or switch back to the Pennzoil? We're running 5k intervals for the Rogue, only because the warranty we purchased specifies that the manufacturer's maintenance intervals are to be followed exactly as printed in the owner's manual otherwise the warranty is void. The vehicle is a former rental, we purchased it used in August 2016, roughly 32k miles and now approaching 50k.

Also as you may or may not have noticed, the most recent (June 2017) Wix analysis incorrectly lists the oil as Pennzoil even though it should be listed as Liquimoly. One of my gripes with the Wix service is that on the initial analysis, they recorded the vehicle as a 2016 Rogue, and now on the second analysis they listed the incorrect oil. Also, for some reason, they treated the second sample as an entirely new sample from a different vehicle, thus I had to submit screen snips of both reports to compare both reports. Blackstone might be a bit pricier, but for at least for me they're consistent with their reporting.

How is the quality of wiz service compared to Blackstone? I had Polaris mix stuff up, but I trust them to have my counts and levels correct.

Last edited:
Other than the discrepancies I mentioned where they incorrectly reported the vehicle year and oil brand, it seems ok. The turnaround time is slower than Blackstone. My first analysis with Wix took close to three weeks before I received anything, whereas I usually get Blackstone's reports in a couple of days. I heard so much praise for Wix versus Blackstone, that I really just wanted to see what the hype was about. In the end, I'm going back to Blackstone because they're faster to send out reports and their data/reports are consistent (haven't had any discrepancies with them yet).

Both reports specify Pennzoil so I am assuming that the first one(top) is the Liqui Moly?

Iron, Aluminum & Silicon are coming down just slightly(good) and the Base# is still reasonably good at 4.4(PP) & 3.8(LM) which means you could stretch your OCI's out a bit further, maybe 6K?

I like the PP report better for its higher Cal/Mag & Zinc/Phos and lower Sodium but, that's just me!

Last edited:
That is correct, the top is the LM and the bottom is Pennzoil.

I'm inclined to agree with your thinking. While I was satisfied with the lower wear metals in the LM, I am more comfortable with the lower contaminants in the PP. I can get PP cheaper than the LM, so I will likely switch the Rogue back to the PP, although in my never-ending search for the "best" oil for the wife's Rogue, I came across Castrol Magnatec which I may try at the next oil change.

One thing I am curious to see at the next testing, is how the oil filter affects the level of contaminants. In our most recent analysis with the LM, I picked up a K&N Gold oil filter relatively cheap at a local AutoZone. When I ordered the LM from Amazon for the most recent oil change, I picked up a Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter, just to see how well it compares to the K&N. But, for the next oil change, I am going back to the Bosch Distance Plus filters. I would have used the Bosch initially, but RockAuto and Amazon both did not list them as compatible with the 2015 Rogue. However, upon visiting Bosch's web site, I see that they do in fact list a compatible filter for the Rogue so I definitely want to test it out.

As far as extending the change interval, like I said, the third-party warranty we have for the Rogue is pretty strict on changing the oil per the owner's manual/manufacturer's recommendation. So we're basically capped at 5k intervals (I don't want to risk voiding the warranty God forbid the CVT should give us issues).

Changing oil and filter brand every time is going to skew your results also. To have any sort of scientific conclusion from this you need to change only 1 variable. And ideally do more than 1 UOA.

Both UOAs are showing you can stretch your OCI. 2,000 more miles is easy - likely more. Just keep it topped off.

I'm not any sort of expert, My recommendation is worth nothing more than any other Joe blow. My personal plan is to stick with 1 filter type and do 2 UOA's in a row. Then decide if i want to change the oil brand. I'm just using Nissan OEM filters and see no reason to run anything else (for my particular situation anyways).

Have you been monitoring the coolant reservoir? Sodium isn't used much as an additive, but it's possible LM is using it with this oil. However, I'm fairly certain PP doesn't use any sodium-based additive, so it's coming from somewhere and could very well be from coolant.

I agree with the other two suggestions. So, +1 to trying PP again to rule out sodium / monitor coolant levels, etc.

However, if this looks good then try 2 OCIs in a row with LiquiMoly. In PP's case, getting a UOA again to compare to the last PP run.

Then, you don't need to get analysis if sodium goes down again on the PP run for the swap back to LM. Just get a UOA on the 2nd consecutive LM run instead. Can consider extending intervals after confirming coolant level is fine?
49.gif
21.gif

EDIT: Are you keeping OCIs at 5k miles for warranty purposes?

Last edited:
I am keeping the OCI to 5k for the warranty. And yes, I did check the coolant and it appears to be fine, I didn't find any active leaks or signs of leaks. I will try switching back to the PP (but keep using the same brand filter) and monitor the sodium. Hopefully LM uses sodium as additive and this isn't the sign of something wrong with the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Have you been monitoring the coolant reservoir? Sodium isn't used much as an additive,

Yes, yes it is. In pretty much all Valvoline products and anyone who has their oil made for them by Valvoline's parent company Ashland Oil. For example, NAPA oils, made by Ashland and same chemistry as Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back