Anyone Paint Mower blades after sharpening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about trying to paint my mower blades after sharpening them to try to make it easier to clean some of the stuck junk off them before sharpening and balancing them. The thought was that the paint might come off when I use the wire wheel to grind all the junk off them therefore allowing the grass dust and gunk to fall off easier.

Any ideas?

I don't. They are painted when new. You could try applying a glossy enamel and see if it helps. I doubt it will change much of anything.

I have been cleaning and sharpening blades for almost 50 years, and I don't think paint makes them any easier to clean. But, I do think there is a spray on product that is suppose to help keep the deck underside clean that should help keep the blades clean also. Can't remember the name, and have never tried it , but maybe you could google it and find it.

Don't mow wet grass and a lot less sticking goes on.

I used some graphite paint meant for corn wagons and it's didn't help.

Depends on how soon I am using the blades. I have sharpened two or three sets for the Kubota at the lake and they may sit for a few years before I use them. I paint those to avoid them rusting.

There's too much abrasion going on to help. I consider the abrasion as a self-cleaning process.

Painting for storage is a different matter. I like to do my yearly maintenance soon after the mowing season ends.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
There's too much abrasion going on to help. I consider the abrasion as a self-cleaning process.

Painting for storage is a different matter. I like to do my yearly maintenance soon after the mowing season ends.

Even if they do rust it will be sand blasted off in about 10 minutes when you start using it.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Painting the deck with graphite paint yes, blades no. Try and mow only when dry.

This^^
Don't mow wet grass and nothing sticks to the blades nor the underside of the deck.
There is an ideal range of moisture in which to cut grass.
Too dry and it doesn't cut cleanly plus you'll get a dust storm in the thin spots.
Too wet and it's a sticky clumpy mess.
Just right and it cuts nicely and the cut ends mulch nicely or get sprayed out evenly.
I can't think of a single reason to paint mower blades.
If you're worried about rusting, which does no harm, wipe them with any oil before putting the mower away.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
I was thinking about trying to paint my mower blades after sharpening them to try to make it easier to clean some of the stuck junk off them before sharpening and balancing them. The thought was that the paint might come off when I use the wire wheel to grind all the junk off them therefore allowing the grass dust and gunk to fall off easier.

Any ideas?

Fluid Film. Especially for off season storage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Don't mow wet grass and a lot less sticking goes on.

I used some graphite paint meant for corn wagons and it's didn't help.

+1.

Originally Posted By: propuckstopper
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

Any ideas?

Fluid Film. Especially for off season storage.
Thats what I use at the end of the mowing season.

Someone told me that MotorKote brushed on a clean blade and allowed to soak in over night helps. I have no idea if it does but he gave me a small sample. I'm going to try it with my next new set of blades for my Honda commercial push mower. Who knows? Stranger things have worked.

When it comes to sharpening, I usually take the wire wheel to them to clean them up, sharpen them, then rub them down with a rag sprayed with Corrosion Pro. Chean the bolts etc. a little, and light coat of anti seize. Honda HRX.
I doubt the Corrosion Pro does much but I do it anyway. Painting.. I'd think most of it would wear away.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Someone told me that MotorKote brushed on a clean blade and allowed to soak in over night helps.

You can't "soak" anything into metal. Doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back