Would changing tires be noticeable if both new

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just bought a vehicle that comes with Hankook Ventus Nobletires. They're great and all but I have read reviews that the Michelins LTX in the same category are much better in the areas I am prefer

The thing is would I notice the difference in getting the better Michelins if I'm going from new Hankooks? Or would it be the same as going from Pennzoil to Quaker State, where there's a difference on paper, but nothing that I would actually notice in the real world driving

And by better I mean softer/quieter ride and better wet handling.

You can read some reviews, or have them install 2 LTXs on one side and do your own testing!
Typically I find the cheaper tires seem to give up wet grip in the last half of their life, and the better tires seem to keep wet grip for longer. New for new you might not see a big difference.

you'll probably notice the difference as the Hankook's are more of a higher performance A/S than the LTX, it would be in the dry handling that you'll notice the difference more.

If I am not mistaken Hankook Ventus S1 Noble are high performance all season and Michelin LTX are light truck all seasons.
What vehicle, what tire size, what exact Hankook and Michelin model?

Krzys

Up to the 80's & 90's rebalancing tires every 12 to 18 months did make a dif in ride and vibration
for even good tires of those years, since some tread or belt movement did occur back then.

I wonder if tires made now are good enough that periodic rebalancing is no longer needed?

I have a Ford Edge, but the tires that came with it are the 245/55 R19.

I found the Michellins when I put in the info at discount tire.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
So I just bought a vehicle that comes with Hankook Ventus Nobletires. They're great and all but I have read reviews that the Michelins LTX in the same category are much better in the areas I am prefer

The thing is would I notice the difference in getting the better Michelins if I'm going from new Hankooks? Or would it be the same as going from Pennzoil to Quaker State, where there's a difference on paper, but nothing that I would actually notice in the real world driving

I guess it comes down to this: would a very marginal improvement in (category) be worth the huge expense of replacing them? I say just run those tires until they are worn out or this supposed deficit becomes too much to bear.

The better ride quality might be something important to you, but if you hadn't read about the Michelins at all, would you have said the Hankooks had poor ride quality?

How much better is the wet handling? Remember that a lot of the tests that Tire Rack, CR, etc. do are basically "at the limit". Again, have you had the Hankooks out in the wet and thought, "wow, these are scary in the rain"?

I put Hankook Ventus V12 on my RX8 because rated high, especially in wet, and only $100/each.

I just put on Michelin PSS for only $175 which I think will be even cheaper.

Why?

Becuase the hankooks went for 6 years, 13k miles, and were hard as rocks and worn out.

They were so hard that they held 35psi for 2 years! LOL

I've read where those Michelins can go 30k miles that they are warrantied for, and keep the wet grip near end of life.

I like to buy value, not cheap which the Michelin line is.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX

What is likely to occur is that you will lose fuel economy as OE tires are generally spec'd to have low rolling resistance. What generally comes along with good fuel economy is worse treadwear, and sometimes worse wet traction.

But OE tires are also generally better for ride. OEM specs are generally much more stringent than after market specs. So there is a chance that you will not have a good a ride quality. Same applies to noise.

But ride harshness to all down to how the engineers design the tires - and who knows what each was trying to achieve.

My advice would be to wear the OE tires out and see how you like them. Then you will have a good basis from which to compare.

Given you're starting with an excellent tire and going to an excellent tire, IMO, the only thing you're going to notice after buying them is being ~$700 lighter in the pocket book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back