2007-2008 F150 5.4 sounds like a diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was helping a friend move this past weekend and his truck literally sounded like a diesel. He thinks it is a 2007 or 2008, it is a Ford F150 with the 5.4 V8. It has around 112k miles. He has not had it very long. It had a very distinct diesel sound, almost exactly like a newer 6.7L PowerStroke or newer Duramax. What can cause this in these engines? I don't know much about them besides the spark plug issue. It didn't sound like an exhaust leak, but internal engine noise.

It seems that every recent F150 for the past 8 or so years has sounded like this to me...I always thought it was a Ford F150 feature due to the 0w20 oil...

lol.gif

Most likely it's cam phasers. Expensive fix. Really involved. My good friend back in Michigan has a truck with really loud ones. Has owned the truck since 117,000 ish miles. Now has nearly 180,000 miles. Never fixed the phasers he just lives with the rattle. Truck has been exclusively serviced using 5w20 conventional at 5k OCI and is still running strong.

I've always thought that F150s had really noisy fuel injectors. Nothing wrong with them but they're loud.

Change the oil to 15w-40. My engine sounded like it was eating marbles until I did that.

Those engines need 25 psi in order to return the cams to idle setting. In between the 5/20 and the cheesy aluminum oil pump housing that leaks out on those engines, you end up with an engines that is constantly out of phase. Sounds like straight garbage when running.

Changing the oil is a lot easier than changing the rest of those parts. Start there.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Sounds like straight garbage when running.

Changing the oil is a lot easier than changing the rest of those parts. Start there.

It definitely sounds like garbage when running. After some research the cam phaser issue seems like it is a pretty involved fix. I'll start with the oil and see where it goes.

My friend just bought the truck maybe 2-3 months ago from a used car dealer with no service history. It probably has 5w20 in it from that dealer. He isn't the most car savvy person.

While I love the look of those truck years 04-08, I think I would have to try to avoid the 5.4....heard nothing but issues with them....

Originally Posted By: cronk
If he still has any sort of used car warranty, see if the dealer will cover it!

I asked him about this, unfortunately it was a 60 day warranty and he has had the truck 4 months. I'm going to do an oil change with a 5w40 and see if that changes anything.

3 valve or 2 valve? The 2V 5.4 engines don't use phasers. It could be a broken timing chain guide or a failed chain tensioner. Exhaust manifolds are an issue on these engines too unless you are completely sure it isn't an exhaust leak.

I agree though. The 4.6 is a better all around engine.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
2 valve 5.4 was dead for the 2007 model year.

In the trucks yes. It continued on the E-series vans throughout their run.

Originally Posted By: Scdevon
3 valve or 2 valve? The 2V 5.4 engines don't use phasers. It could be a broken timing chain guide or a failed chain tensioner. Exhaust manifolds are an issue on these engines too unless you are completely sure it isn't an exhaust leak.

I agree though. The 4.6 is a better all around engine.

Not quite sure. I have heard them with exhaust manifold leaks and it didn't sound like this. I popped the hood and listened to it and it definitely had a metallic sound.

If its an '07 or '08, its a 3V 5.4. The 2V was dead in the F150 at the 04 model year (except for heritage edition trucks).

Honestly, odds are that its the cam phasers and timing chain guides. You can bandaid the noise with heavier oil, but the reality is it will all grenade sooner or later... when is anyones guess.

And that is a big reason why I got out of my '04. I couldn't stomach dropping at least $700 on good replacement parts, let alone doing all the labor (or paying $2000+ dollars for a mechanic to do it). And it would still have been a 12+ year old truck with 180,000+ miles and a body with significant cancer (rust).

Unfortunately, there is a reason why you can find these trucks that seem like a bargain relatively - but if you don't know what to look for, you'll find yourself stuck...

Last edited:
Only way to find the noise is with a mechanics stethoscope. $10 for a cheap one, everybody should own this. We can talk about whatever for days. Use it on valve covers, front cover and injector area, go from there. Guarantee after this purchase and a little time the answer will be found. A modular motor should not sound like a diesel. 2v, 3v or 4v. Maybe some of the newer ones, but not from the 99-2010 (10 year era) My 2003 engine was quieter than most cars I've owned, the exhaust wasn't though.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Honestly, odds are that its the cam phasers and timing chain guides. I couldn't stomach dropping at least $700 on good replacement parts, let alone doing all the labor (or paying $2000+ dollars for a mechanic to do it).

The whole kit is only $109

Originally Posted By: Linctex

The whole kit is only $109

That cheap, I guarantee the cam phasers are not included in that kit. Would be a colossal mistake to deep dive a repair that far and not replace the cam phasers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back