EGR code (P0401) 2002 Isuzu Trooper (CA smog fail)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isuzu Trooper 2002, ~100,000 miles. In good shape, runs and idles normally - idles a bit high though(~1000rpm?). I've been fighting an EGR insufficient flow code forever. Replaced EGR, cleaned input and output tubes thoroughly, cleaned TB thoroughly, removed and cleaned intake plenum THOROUGHLY. Still comes back intermittently. Replaced intake manifold gaskets. Also has several other intermittent codes that stay off for awhile and comeback occasionally then go away again: P0420 (catalyst/O2), P0446 (EVAP). Those two codes have been occasional problems for years, but we've always been able to clear them long enough to pass the smog test. Not this time though. It's the P0401 that is driving me nuts, but perhaps these are all related and I'm not aware of something that needs to be done that'll fix all three. O2 sensors are fairly new (~20k miles ago). Perhaps it's just that the cat has to be replaced? Suggestions on where to go next would be appreciated!

I don't know about the Isuzu but some older fords have a DPFE sensor that is prone to failure that causes a P0401 to be set

EGR insufficient flow, how would that be triggered? I'd think the MAF would see less air through it; or the O2 sensor would lean out. Or both. An air leak after the MAF would make the MAF read low and lean out the exhaust. Not sure what an exhaust leak would do. So I'm not sure how a leak would come into play, but am wondering if it's somehow in the piping, an exhaust leak of some sort.

Just trying to figure out how it knows there is an EGR problem, as that might indicate where to look.

Three dissimilar codes though could point to a grounding problem, or other wiring issue.

I have a similar (Acura SLX) and had the evap code plague me a while. It was a chronically disconnecting breather tube under the engine cover. Check your hoses are all good and not leaking - dry rotted but otherwise look ok, etc. I think that can make the 401 and 446, and then the 420 follows from those.

On a side note, if your oil consumption is still moderate, be sure to use a VERY high quality oil at moderate OCIs. These have the same oil drain back/oil control ring issue that plagues Saturns, some Mazdas, and some Toyota I4s. I understand some very late 2002 models finally had the fix incorporated (more drain holes drilled under rings and in piston skirts), but most did not.

Also ask at planetisuzoo.com in either the General or "drivetrain problems" section. More specific knowledge is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back