PRNDL on its way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Jeep etc have taken flak for their rotary shifter, but it appears GM is getting now too. Only they're copying... Chrysler?

Ward's

More gimmicky stuff from car mfgs. They should focus more on making headlights that don't fail IIHS tests.

It's already electronic, anyway. What's the difference? *Shifts TH400 into D* (that's third gear for you unacclimated millennials) *and motors away*.

Or headlights you don't need to remove the bumper to replace
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
More gimmicky stuff from car mfgs. They should focus more on making headlights that don't fail IIHS tests.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Really who ever uses the Low?
Really only good when you were a teenager for burnouts.

Driving down steep grades I find L to be useful.

But I can see how that might not be considered by those who live in a relatively flat state
smile.gif

I don't get the point of replacing a simple gear selector that has worked for decades with something new and less intuitive. What customers are asking for this type of "innovation"???

Car manufacturers have lots of solutions for problems you never knew you had. They also have things you don't need but will have to maintain in the future. Just pay attention and get ready for the next can't live without feature that's coming your way.

I have no particular use for the "START" button. Especially the one which leaves you little or no control over the cranking process.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Really who ever uses the Low?
Really only good when you were a teenager for burnouts.

I often select the topmost gear that I'll let the transmission shift into. Lifetime of driving sticks means I'm used to being involved.

I usually will lock out upper gears in town, no need to upshift then downshift ten yards later.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I have no particular use for the "START" button. Especially the one which leaves you little or no control over the cranking process.

I dunno, I'm getting used to it in my truck. Just blip the starter and it auto-starts. I can always tell when I've driven my truck for too long: I get into one of my other vehicles, and magically they have starting problems--until I realize, I actually have to hold the key to make 'em crank. First world problems.

Haven't had a push button start yet. I think I'd prefer to keep my key.

I'm waiting for the lawsuits stemming from someone getting confused and not leaving the vehicle in park.

It happened with the recent Grand Cherokee shifter...

Great! Another way to have to take your eyes off of where you're going. I guess the more numb buttons the better it sells anymore. It's like having to "text" your car just to make it go.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I dunno, I'm getting used to it in my truck. Just blip the starter and it auto-starts. I can always tell when I've driven my truck for too long: I get into one of my other vehicles, and magically they have starting problems--until I realize, I actually have to hold the key to make 'em crank. First world problems.

Haven't had a push button start yet. I think I'd prefer to keep my key.

Just bought a Hyundai Santa Fe XL with a "start button". It has a proximity remote-you walk up to the tailgate with an arm full of groceries-the lift gate will open right up for you. It has small buttons on the door handles-press once to open driver's door-twice for the rest. No getting your keys out of your pocket. It it essential to life? NOPE! But it is convenient. My wife really likes it because the "key" (i.e. remote) never leaves her purse. It's one of those things that you don't know how convenient it is (over a key) until you have a vehicle with this feature.

New tech phobia is alive and well on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: CKN
New tech phobia is alive and well on BITOG.

True, but with the help and guidance of BITOG my last auto purchase was a...twenty year old Camry. I like to think I will get low cost per mile. And when it does break down, it'll be simple to fix. And simple to jerry rig in case whatever it needs has gone obsolete. And if whatever it needs is outside my range of ability, cheap for someone else to fix.

I guess we'll see how this tech goes. All I know is that I tried to reprogram my TPMS for a single new Dorman sensor yesterday. It didn't take, now it's registering a system fault.

IIRC VW's initial DI wasn't that great. People were wise to wait for that to get perfected. Now it's a big no-worry. Staying behind the tech curve is safer & cheaper.

Because Americans need room for their Double Gulp drinks and McDonald's extra value meals in the center console...I like it.

Commercial trucks and buses had push button shifters for decades. Only issue going with a fully electronic shifter is no mechanical linkage if the battery dies.
Plus controls should be simple as possible. Allisons push button shifter and Honda's push button layout looks simple and easy to use.
IE2gsf0.jpg

6M8WnPH.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back