Mobil One Extended Performance filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know...another oil filter question
wink.gif

I'm trying to make an educated decision about what oil filter to use in my 2017 Ford Powerstroke. I seem to recall a study that detailed micron performance ratings and flow rates for filters, but can no longer find it.

Some say that the Mobil one is a great filter, and then I find reports saying that they are junk and have lousy flow rates etc.

Where, or how, can I best determine if this is really a good filter. I know that they are made by Champion and that the warranty comes from Champion.

I am not interested in extended drains, and will be using Valvoline blue 5-40 (cold weather area).

Thanks!

Buzz

You want a Donaldson P502503.
Excellent specs, crossfilters.com has them 3 for 37.00.
VPB 5w40 is an excellent choice, but not required. Especially since you do not intend on extended drains.
The VPB 15w40 conventional is a stout oil that is also on Ford's blessed list, and will serve you well right down to 20 degrees. Depends on where you are in the Northeast as to whether that could work for you.

They were pretty good, but when they started using the suffix "A" part numbers, the quality seems less good. There are plenty of better choices-Wix Gold/NAPA, Fram Ultra, even Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: buzzy3
wink.gif

I'm trying to make an educated decision about what oil filter to use in my 2017 Ford Powerstroke. I seem to recall a study that detailed micron performance ratings and flow rates for filters, but can no longer find it.

Some say that the Mobil one is a great filter, and then I find reports saying that they are junk and have lousy flow rates etc.

Where, or how, can I best determine if this is really a good filter. I know that they are made by Champion and that the warranty comes from Champion.

I am not interested in extended drains, and will be using Valvoline blue 5-40 (cold weather area).

Thanks!

Buzz

The Ford Motorcraft oil filters provide excellent filtration and are economically priced...why pay more ?

https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/DieselFilterOilReferenceSheet.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
They were pretty good, but when they started using the suffix "A" part numbers, the quality seems less good. There are plenty of better choices-Wix Gold/NAPA, Fram Ultra, even Motorcraft.

Fram Ultra not available for the 6.7L TurboDiesel Powerstroke V8 here.
Fortunately, the Motorcraft oil filter is a Fram Ultra look-alike. It has the all-glass-fiber media and silicon ADBV wanted. Similar filtration efficiency as an Ultra would be.

100% synthetic glass fiber filtration media is the key performance element, as it holds more dirt, filters better. Motorcraft all the way here.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
The Ford Motorcraft oil filters provide excellent filtration and are economically priced...why pay more ?

Not for your truck, but M1EP filter ( which is a well made Champion labs - the reason I bought it) Was one of 3 good filters for NISSAN applications. Nissan service replacement CHINA filters are not up to par and can damage your engine, and the Mexican GONHER are so so ( Ive had an ADBV "expire" prematurely). I will not commant on filter choice for the Ford Diesel, But you Nissan guys listyen up and put the upsized V* truck filter on your car. The Fram Toughguard is a good choice too. The Honda racing pcx004 was best but at 14 bucks not worth it for me - maybe if I had a 370Z but not on the 2014 "mother-lady" rogue.

Last edited:
wink.gif

Thanks!

Buzz

Its a good filter. I ran 1 year on one on the truck and it held up. Didnt notice any difference in oil pressure. I have a mechanical gauge.

The M1 filter is good but If your looking for a good aftermarket filter (not including "top of the line" ones like Royal purple or Amsoil) I would go with Autozones STP Extended Life as it is one the only ones that has both silicon gaskets and anti-drain back valve, an actual metal pressure spring instead of a leaf spring and, good heavy duty construction with filtration materialwhich the claim has 99% efficiency over 10,000 miles. Its all shown in this video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvUNXv5Bg0

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I will not commant on filter choice for the Ford Diesel,..

Now my curiosity is piqued.

I got a good deal on them from RA and they seemed to work nicely on an old Equinox I had. I have a few left that we are using in my FIL's boat (4.3 GM engine.) I haven't had any issues besides cost.

No experience with the newer ford diesels, and I would assume that this is a large capacity filter given the application, not like Nissan passengers cars with a "hamster in the palm" sized "faux" oil filter - I would have been upset if my lowly Chevy 1500 W/T truck external framerail FUEL filter was the size of this Nissan oil filter.

You FORD truck guys have at it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Fortunately, the Motorcraft oil filter is a Fram Ultra look-alike. It has the all-glass-fiber media and silicon ADBV wanted. Similar filtration efficiency as an Ultra would be.

100% synthetic glass fiber filtration media is the key performance element, as it holds more dirt, filters better. Motorcraft all the way here.

Dang-you're right, I was thinking of the older PSDs. I agree that Motorcraft is the best value, though.

No experience with the newer ford diesels, and I would assume that this is a large capacity filter given the application, not like Nissan passengers cars with a "hamster in the palm" sized "faux" oil filter - I would have been upset if my lowly Chevy 1500 W/T truck external framerail FUEL filter was the size of this Nissan oil filter.

You FORD truck guys have at it
smile.gif

Thanks.

Does Wix make their XP filter for your application?

Because the Donaldson out does the Motorcraft.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4441482/Donaldson_P502503_Virgin_Power

wink.gif

Thanks!

Buzz

First of all, don't worry about flow rates; any decently made brand name filter will flow more oil than the engine ever needs. Put that to bed and forget it.

The other two things to consider are build quality and efficiency. Overall, most all brand names you'd recognize do a decent job at construction. Some folks favor one brand over another, and one feature over another, but overall a good filter is going to do the job it's put to. There are always examples of failures posted here, but the VAST majority of filters do their job well in quiet.

This is from the other thread ongoing. This is data I just dug up yesterday.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

All these rated at 20um unless otherwise stated: (data taken directly from OEM websites, product pages, etc)
Motorcraft 80%
AC-Delco 98% at 25-30um (that's how they put it ...)
Purolator basic (red can) 96%
Purolator PureOne 99%
Purolator Boss 99%
Fram XG 95%
Fram TG 99%
Fram Ult 99%
Wix/NG 95%
Bosch D+ 99.9% at 40um (a value that is not helpful in terms of comparing, but all they advertise)
Bosch Premium 99%
Mobil 1 99% at 30um (that's thirty microns, not twenty; not a typo on my part)
K&N Gold 99% at ???? (no stated size; missing info = worthless info)
Royal Purple 99% at 25um
Amsoil 98.7%

As you can see, there are times when the filter maker's info is lacking outright, or incomplete. Most of these makers don't differentiate individual filter performance; they just make a broad claim for their product line.

Baldwin/Hastings also makes great filters, but they don't publish eff data. However, if you email them, they will send you the info, if you ask the specific quesetions. I once emailed them about the fuel filter for my Dmax, and they sent me a full report including PC analysis and a signed/notarized statement!

I will note this additional info, specific to your 6.7L PSD:
Wix/NG #57151 is rated at this: 2/20/75 = 3/12/17
That's 95% efficient at only 12um! and Absolute at 17um!
You can walk into any Napa and get that filter for $25, or order from FleetFilter and get it at $15.

Purolator Boss is also easy to get; any PepBoys for $26 or less if you order with a discount.

Nothing wrong with the MC filter, either.

I am not brand loyal on filters any more than lubes; plenty of good ones to pick from. Your engine isn't going to know the difference.

Also ... 8 posts in 11 years? Kudos on the restraint!

Last edited:
If you search back just a little ways in this sections I did a cut and post of the Donaldson filter. That’s what I’m screwing on in 1k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back