amazon charges me for prime without my authorizati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any luck getting them to remove this charge? Looks like the last three months I've been charge $11.87/month. Looking on the internet I'm not the only one to have this happen. I disputed the charge and turned off the prime membership. It did say it was refunding me $11.87 since I didn't use it, but not sure if that means they will refund for the other two months also.

I'm getting tired of them sneaking this by on me, you have to be very careful you don't get conned into buying it when you buy something on amazon. What they do is offer a discount for 30 day free trial, but then don't bother telling you it's ending and will automatically charge you.

That's pretty standard everywhere. Not defending amazon here but you have to watch all of the companies that offer any kind of trial. It is buried in the terms and conditions you agree to.

Did you sign up for a 30-day trial?

Every enticement I have ever seen that offers a FREE 30-day trial includes a disclaimer that the membership will revert to a monthly/yearly paid subscription unless you physically change the settings in your account and turn it off.

I just say no to prime. LOL It makes my life easier. They automatically enroll you if you take the trial and don't cancel in time. Standard procedure, not a dump on AMZN.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
That's pretty standard everywhere. Not defending amazon here but you have to watch all of the companies that offer any kind of trial. It is buried in the terms and conditions you agree to.

Dang.
One minute quicker than my response.

There is no second place...

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Did you sign up for a 30-day trial?

Every enticement I have ever seen that offers a FREE 30-day trial includes a disclaimer that the membership will revert to a monthly/yearly paid subscription unless you physically change the settings in your account and turn it off.

I didn't sign up this time. I did like 3 years ago when they were honest about it and actually notified you when the free trial was over. That time I cancelled it before they charged me.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I just say no to prime. LOL It makes my life easier. They automatically enroll you if you take the trial and don't cancel in time. Standard procedure, not a dump on AMZN.

I never signed up for it, you can look on the internet, several other complaints from others

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I never signed up for it, you can look on the internet, several other complaints from others

Then that would be unauthorized charges, which imo is illegal. I would follow up on it with the credit card company. Maybe you mistakenly authorized it.

Either way call the CC company and tell them you never authorized it, feel it is illegal, and you will do whatever you have to not to pay. I bet the charges will vanish, all of them.

You were charged for 3 months and didn't catch it until the 3rd billing cycle? You're lucky you're getting a refund for 1 month. If you had been more diligent keeping an eye on your credit card charges, you would have been good the first billing cycle.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
You clicked on and agreed to something you didn't read or fully understand. That's not Amazon's fault.

Yup, I did the same thing. If you cancel it ASAP they'll credit your card for the full amount.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Dang.
One minute quicker than my response.

There is no second place...

Story of my life

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
You clicked on and agreed to something you didn't read or fully understand. That's not Amazon's fault.

Sounds right to me too. Dealt with Amazon for many years and a couple/few years back after I couldn't stay on a family member's Prime, got my own. Any time I've had an issue with them (which has been rare), they've been very accommodating. Either a refund or a credit to my account came my way in short order. One time even let me keep a S&S item with no charge, rather than return.

I took advantage of the free trial and immediately set a calendar reminder to cancel it one day before it would change to a paid membership. After turning Prime off in my account, I found out that Prime can be shared in household accounts, which I did not know, so now I am back on Prime, sharing my wife's Prime membership. Our 19 year old son shares it too now since he buys computer parts for his side business of repairing/building desktop computers. Previously he was using her account to buy stuff, which was just confusing overall.

I have been having a three month battle with Sam's Club over automatic billing.
The credit card company Synchrony Bank is pretty much in thier back pocket too.
Regardless they charged me for a membership when I already paid for one, when I called them and told them about it, which took a hour and several departments, they said they solved it to only charge me for another instead of removing any. So now I have been billed three times for a membership and they just sent me a refund for one and told me my membership has been cancelled but left the other two to pay for yet.
I probably am done with Sam's club after this and synchrony bank who has alot of major clients like Lowe's.

What they do is offer a discount for 30 day free trial, but then don't bother telling you it's ending and will automatically charge you.

Well most adults or children with any sense know exactly what 30 days is, and would realize, that if they signed up for a 30 day free trial, then they would be charged after the free trial. And that if they signed up for it several months ago, then they would have several months worth of charges on their credit cards. Its not rocket surgery. And no, they didn't just sign you up without asking. I see a lot more accounts of people lacking personal responsibility these days, and its quite maddening.

This is a posting rant FAIL.

What they do is offer a discount for 30 day free trial, but then don't bother telling you it's ending and will automatically charge you.

Yup, whatch the "thirty days FREE trial".

Under your amazon account profile you just click on "manage your prime account" and turn off the automatic renewals. Still get the 30 free days and no charges to your CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back