Mazda 1WPE-14-302 Filter 5k mi - Mystery Bypass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut open a OEM Mazda 1WPE-14-302 with approximately 5k-ish miles on it. I was worried about the shift from a Japan manufacturing to Thailand, but after inspection it appears that my fears were unfounded. It is a stout little filter and the filter media uniformity and structure are above reproach. As discussed here previously, it appears to be a Denso unit.

However, there is a mystery here as well. The old Tokyo-Roki units did not have an ADBV, but this new one does. It is a nicely built one, but I find it curious that they are now using an ADBV when so much hoopla had been made about running filters without one. What do you guys think? Why the sudden change in structure?

Here are the pics:

I see a bypass but not an ADBV in these pictures, unless I am blind. Seeing as how you can see the filter element through the holes in the base plate, I am going to say they do not have one. I have not cut one open yet as the first one I have used is on the car now. All others have been tokyo roki or the mexican made ones.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I see a bypass but not an ADBV in these pictures, unless I am blind. Seeing as how you can see the filter element through the holes in the base plate, I am going to say they do not have one. I have not cut one open yet as the first one I have used is on the car now. All others have been tokyo roki or the mexican made ones.

You're right, it is a bypass. I'm a moron. I need more than 4 hours of sleep a night, apparently!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Thats a good looking filter. The element reminds me of the Honda A01 oil filters.

The element also looks like a smaller scale version of the OEM oil filter on my BMW. Impressive.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Originally Posted By: E150GT

You're right, it is a bypass. I'm a moron. I need more than 4 hours of sleep a night, apparently!

Yup. Apparently you're up late at night putting tons of miles on your new Mazda.

Last edited:
5k miles and that thing still looks almost new? (Oil is still so clear)
That engine must burn fuel pretty good.

Last edited:
Thanks for cutting that sucker open. I too was a little worried about the change in manufacturing plant but the new model does look pretty good. As long as they still keep doing the sealed protective wrapper on top and not cheap out on it, I figured they can't possibly be cheaping out elsewhere where it's more important NOT to go cheap.

I Love these little filters. When I pull one out of my 2014 Mazda 3, I reuse the oil filter in another engine for an additional OCI without worry.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back