Broke exhaust tail pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to fill the pig up on gas for this week and I got out of the development. Roll up to the stop sign and I step on the gas and hear clink clank! Great. Pull over into a conveniently placed golf course parking lot to diagnose my Jeep AAAAAAND the tail pipe is just swinging freely hitting my control arm and coil spring:

-_-' not a happy camper atm.

Last edited:
Looks like aluminized exhaust pipe at a low point where moisture and vibration attack the pipe causing it to break. I had this happen to my old Acura Integra. A trip to the muffler shop, a quick 30 second brazing rod fix for $15.00 and I was on the road again for another 50,000 miles.

Sounds like a good excuse to put a nice exhaust on it.

I was going to with my 4.0L, but I can't figure out which one won't drone or be too loud.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Looks like aluminized exhaust pipe at a low point where moisture and vibration attack the pipe causing it to break. I had this happen to my old Acura Integra. A trip to the muffler shop, a quick 30 second brazing rod fix for $15.00 and I was on the road again for another 50,000 miles.

What is a brazing rod? Is it just a rod that goes into the pipe to keep it together?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Sounds like a good excuse to put a nice exhaust on it.

I was going to with my 4.0L, but I can't figure out which one won't drone or be too loud.

My buddy with a 4.0 has the Dynomax ultra Flo cat back. Says it's really nice and only 200 on summit racing.

Personally putting a nice exhaust on a 4.0 seems like putting makeup on a pig. It makes such few hp and the 4.0 isn't the most beautiful sounding engine, I find it hard to justify the cost of a nice exhaust. Especially with the Pennsylvania salted winter's.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Originally Posted By: Kool1

What is a brazing rod? Is it just a rod that goes into the pipe to keep it together?

Brazing rod gets melted with a torch and it "glues" metal together.With rusty exhaust you are far better off with MIG welded connections,but people are trying to repair exhausts that are shot (baffles gone in muffler,rusted joints elsewhere)and should be replaced.Its an expected cost that exhausts will need to be replaced every few years.In New England 2 years is not excessive.

Forget about fixing it. It will break shortly after to fix it. Find someone who can weld in SS pipe. Good for a long time.

Aluminumized steel last longer than plain but SS is much better.

Don't know what your question is but from that pic, you need an exhaust system.

I bet at least a replacement of cat back. I had a header crack on my Wrangler and found while I was under that everything from the first pipe on back was toast. Fixed it all and got it down the road. Many options to do the job cheap.

"The time came to you as it does for all where you had to answer nature's call" (of) OLD AGE, OXIDATION & RUST-Oh my! (mixed song reference and movie quote)

My friend had a flowmaster on his 4.0 Jeep. Sounded cool for about 3 days, then it just reminded us of a mail truck. He has a Magnaflow on it now, which is much better sounding, but still a bit loud.

Personally, I'd just get the Walker Quiet Flow SS muffler. That is what I replaced the one on my Jeep with. Sounds pretty much stock, maybe a tad deeper.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
My friend had a flowmaster on his 4.0 Jeep. Sounded cool for about 3 days, then it just reminded us of a mail truck. He has a Magnaflow on it now, which is much better sounding, but still a bit loud.

Personally, I'd just get the Walker Quiet Flow SS muffler. That is what I replaced the one on my Jeep with. Sounds pretty much stock, maybe a tad deeper.

I like Walker SS Quiet Flows. Too bad only the can is stainless the pipes are aluminized steel and will rust so you end up with a pretty muffler with rusty pipes on both sides then holes but still a nice SS can. I wish Walker would offer an "All Stainless Steel" version of these. I would pay the extra. Still, these are worth the cost compared the cheaper regular ones.

Originally Posted By: fozzdesy2001
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I like Walker SS Quiet Flows. Too bad only the can is stainless the pipes are aluminized steel and will rust so you end up with a pretty muffler with rusty pipes on both sides then holes but still a nice SS can. I wish Walker would offer an "All Stainless Steel" version of these. I would pay the extra. Still, these are worth the cost compared the cheaper regular ones.

Yeah they aren't the best, but OK for the price.

The Dynomax Super Turbo Catback for the WJ Grand Cherokee sounds decent and can be had pretty cheaply off Amazon. It is basically the same thing but with aluminized piping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back