PC 7424XP vs 7335

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 20 year old 7335 is in perfect condition having only about 50-60 operating hours. The 7424XP has a much more powerful motor (4.5 vs 3.7 amps) but it is also almost a full pound heavier. Have any of you used both machines? Which one is easier to use? To me it seems lighter 7335 would be easier even with its less powerful motor. Thanks.

I have an old 7336. My preference would be the XP. The weight difference is too little to be of concern and the XP would spin the pad slightly faster. 5.5" pads and the correct backing plate are essential for both.

If you want to use 6" pads the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital with 25' cord is the one to buy while keeping the expenditure reasonable.

Powerful 850-watt, 7-amp motor
8mm throw orbit
Max 6800 orbits per minute
10-foot 18 AWG, or 25-foot 16 AWG power cord
Domed, rubberized palm grip
6 speed settings via dial, 1/2-speed increments
Lifetime warranty

Thanks, I am happy with my 5 1/2" LC HT pads. Could I not just increase the speed a notch or two to make it as fast as the XP?

Possibly....... I don't have the specs for both in front of me but I wouldn't ditch the old one just to buy an XP.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Possibly....... I don't have the specs for both in front of me but I wouldn't ditch the old one just to buy an XP.

I am coming to that conclusion. I thought my machine was losing power because it would not spin the pad unless I held some of its weight. Then I thought maybe I am trying to operate at too low of a speed. I will kick up to 4 or 5 and see what happens. I did look at the brushes and, as you would expect with only 50 or so hours, they looked great. Thanks for your help.

When I used the 7336 with a 5.5" pad it was almost always maxed out. The lower speeds on these machines will only be effective using 3"-4" pads. I use the 4" pads from my Cyclo on the 7336 for smaller areas like the A pillar for instance. If you ever do decide to upgrade do consider the Griot's machine I mentioned above....the difference in power is staggering but still remains a safe DA buffer.

Also......if you've been using the blue pad try the tangerine for light correction. It and the crimson pad seem to turn a bit easier than the blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back