VW Atlas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero-effort thread
smirk.gif

I'll try to rescue it for you. Here goes:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/atlas/2018/
http://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/atlas
~$35,000 SUV, almost 280 horsepower in the optional V6, angular styling, new for 2018. Made in America in Chattacoochie TN.
2018-volkswagen-atlas-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-671563-s-450x274.jpg

Originally Posted By: Motor Trend
The Volkswagen Atlas is the German automaker’s all-new three-row midsize crossover that, in size, slots above the two-row midsize Touareg and compact Tiguan SUVs as well as the Golf Alltrack and Golf SportWagen in the automaker’s people and cargo carrying lineup. The Atlas competes in a crowded segment that includes the Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Traverse, Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander, Mazda CX-9, and Dodge Durango.

Originally Posted By: Car & Driver closing remarks
Like the latest Tennessee-built Passat, the Atlas is tailored to the American market and is built here. But unlike Passat, it doesn’t replace a slow-selling Euro-tuned model (the Touareg will continue here), so those who prefer the latter can still find it, at a price. VW is clearly operating outside of its comfort zone with the Atlas, but it has created a competitive three-row SUV with the right priorities for its audience. With a cavernous interior, solid driving dynamics, and vaguely rugged styling, the Atlas is finally an SUV from Volkswagen that hits its mark.

Will it be another job security program for dealership mechanics? Does the time and budget to develop a new model indicate that from VW's point of view, Diesel Gate is over?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Will it be another job security program for dealership mechanics? Does the time and budget to develop a new model indicate that from VW's point of view, Diesel Gate is over?

VW is late to the SUV party. There is no argument there. This model has been in development way before diesel gate.

You can look up any manufacture to see how much "job security" their mechanics have. You will find out there are bad designs from just about everybody. So many in fact-I'm not listing them. Google is your friend.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

VW is late to the SUV party. There is no argument there. This model has been in development way before diesel gate.

You can look up any manufacture to see how much "job security" their mechanics have. You will find out there are bad designs from just about everybody. So many in fact-I'm not listing them. Google is your friend.

Nothing is perfect as you said!
I plan on looking at one soon.

Originally Posted By: CKN
They are going to sell A TON of these!

If they provided a decent diesel option I'd be interested, but not otherwise. Like said, it's a crowded segment, needs a differentiator.

I still say they ripped off the Grand Cherokee and made it wrong wheel drive.

Lets hope not- I never had any luck with Jeeps
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Originally Posted By: dishdude

If you took the VW front end off and swapped the Grand Cherokee grill I think it would fit perfectly, haha.

Considering how many Grand Cherokees I see every day, that might have been their goal. The German version of the Grand Cherokee.

My 2002 Grand Cherokee was a steaming pile. Interior door panels kept falling off if the kids shut the door too hard, numerous window regulator replacements, an auxiliary fan relay hidden under the front bumper cover beneath the right headlamp...either gut the front end to get to it or pop out the headlamp, use a hole saw to drill an opening in the bumper cover, and access it that way, then tape up the hole(the headlamp hid it anyway). The transmission never shifted quite right, it ate tires, NOT a good vehicle.

I'm really town between the Atlas and the '18 Tiguan. Hondas are getting uglier and uglier with each new generation and our '16 CRV is nothing special, so I think we're going to try a couple of VWs. I think a black Atlas would be stunning, if it fits in my garage comfortably.

Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93
Chattacoochie.... Thats a new one, and i work at the plant that builds them... lol
thankyou2.gif

I recently drove one of these, it was the SE 4-motion. Its on the bigger end of the segment with a useful third row and a small but adequate cargo area behind that. A few take away items I had, the infotainment system was aggravating, hard to use and the interface was tough...fortunately it has Apple Car Play/Android Auto to help with that. The start stop was TERRIBLE, would shut down abruptly and was slow to restart, at a 4 way stop when the engine cuts off, it definitely has a delay before it starts back up. I also found the transmission to be very abrupt when it shifted, it didn't have the same refinement as a Highlander or even the new Pilot. I found the ride to be very stiff and more truck like, which to some people is a good thing, for me I was looking for a softer more compliant ride. Some pros...Seat comfort was fantastic, doors close with a vault like sound, interior materials were really good, AC worked great and the outside styling works, muscular from the front and very Audi-like from the rear view. Things like auto stop can be turned off which helps, but for what I was looking for, this just isn't going to work. VW also reserves a lot of high end options for only the top trim as well which is disappointing.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
I recently drove one of these, it was the SE 4-motion. Its on the bigger end of the segment with a useful third row and a small but adequate cargo area behind that. A few take away items I had, the infotainment system was aggravating, hard to use and the interface was tough...fortunately it has Apple Car Play/Android Auto to help with that. The start stop was TERRIBLE, would shut down abruptly and was slow to restart, at a 4 way stop when the engine cuts off, it definitely has a delay before it starts back up. I also found the transmission to be very abrupt when it shifted, it didn't have the same refinement as a Highlander or even the new Pilot. I found the ride to be very stiff and more truck like, which to some people is a good thing, for me I was looking for a softer more compliant ride. Some pros...Seat comfort was fantastic, doors close with a vault like sound, interior materials were really good, AC worked great and the outside styling works, muscular from the front and very Audi-like from the rear view. Things like auto stop can be turned off which helps, but for what I was looking for, this just isn't going to work. VW also reserves a lot of high end options for only the top trim as well which is disappointing.

Your cross-shopping a Mazda 6 with a VW Atlas? You want to DOWNSIZE from a mini van-right?

Im looking to downgrade from a minivan to get a sport sedan and replace our Nissan Rogue with an SUV that's a little larger since the lease is up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back