Subaru vs. WIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend's son just gat a 2015 Subaru Impreza Sprot Premium w2.0l engine.

Calls for: Subaru 15208AA15A Oil Filter.

Do you think the WIX 57055 (the cross reference) would be better, worse or the same?

Thanks

I use the Wix 57055 or Napa 7055 on the wife's current 2.5 and on her previous 2013 2.5. Somewhere around 80K of total service. Correct bypass setting and quality construction. You won't go wrong with the Wix or Napa Gold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sopususer
I use the Wix 57055 or Napa 7055 on the wife's current 2.5 and on her previous 2013 2.5. Somewhere around 80K of total service. Correct bypass setting and quality construction. You won't go wrong with the Wix or Napa Gold.

True. Wix is one of the very few after market oil filters to have the correct bypass valve opening pressure threshold.

Kira, I say it'll be about same. The blue OEM Subaru filters aren't bad. Yes, made by Honeywell, but still not bad. Been using them exclusively on my '09 since new, with no issues.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
The blue OEM Subaru filters aren't bad. Yes, made by Honeywell, but still not bad.

The Subaru filters are actually manufactured by Fram, which hasn't been affiliated with Honeywell since 2011.

As you stated, they are not bad filters. None of the ones I've cut open has ever exhibited any problems, even with relatively long change intervals.

I like how Fram makes the OEM Subaru filter, but can't be bothered to sell a filter with the Subaru-spec bypass under their own name
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I like how Fram makes the OEM Subaru filter, but can't be bothered to sell a filter with the Subaru-spec bypass under their own name
crazy2.gif

Except they do. The PH9715 is Fram's retail equivalent of the OEM Subaru filter, complete with proper bypass pressure.

I use the PH9715 on our current car and also used it on our past Subarus. It holds up extremely well and is readily available at our local AutoZone.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
crazy2.gif

Except they do. The PH9715 is Fram's retail equivalent of the OEM Subaru filter, complete with proper bypass pressure.

I use the PH9715 on our current car and also used it on our past Subarus. It holds up extremely well and is readily available at our local AutoZone.

I did not know this! Thank you for the info
thumbsup2.gif

Looks like you can get one for only 49c after rebate on Amazon right now
smile.gif

Have you used the Wix? If you did, which one do you like better?

The PH9712 crosses to Wix's 57712, both being shorty filters. There is an XP version 57712XP. There is np 57055XP, though, and no XG9715, either.

Fram's own catalog cross-references the PH7317 for the 57055

Originally Posted By: Padawan
crazy2.gif

I did not know this! Thank you for the info
thumbsup2.gif

Looks like you can get one for only 49c after rebate on Amazon right now
smile.gif

Have you used the Wix? If you did, which one do you like better?

The PH9712 crosses to Wix's 57712, both being shorty filters. There is an XP version 57712XP. There is np 57055XP, though, and no XG9715, either.

Fram's own catalog cross-references the PH7317 for the 57055

I haven't used the Wix, but I'm sure it's a great option. Wix filters are more difficult for me to source in our area, and I prefer Fram's textured grip.

As you noted, there is no Ultra version of the 9715, and oddly, no "long" Subaru-specific model. Perhaps Jay from Fram could weigh in on why they specify the PH7317 for the "long" applications. I've used the PH9715 on all of the 4-cylinder (turbo and N/A) Subarus we've had.

I wanted to revive this thread to comment on a very important and frequently overlooked reason why Wix/Napa oil filters SHOULD NOT be used on a Subaru engine that utilizes the Subaru OEM oil filter with a 23+psi bypass spec.

You can look on Wix's website for yourself, their oil filters such as the 57055 series (XP variant included) have a max flow output of 10 gallons per minute. The Subaru OEM oil filter has a max output of 16 gallons per minute, the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter is at 18 gallons per minute and thus can utilize a lower bypass spec.

I would not want my engine having flow restricted by the filter to the tune of 6 gallons per minute short. On that note I would presume that upon it needing that extra oil flow the filter would go into bypass. So ultimately the Wix/Napa oil filters have that bypass spec as their only upside, it's a one trick pony and the trick ain't that good. They offer industry minimum efficiency and have a flow rate restricted far more than anything Fram offers.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I wanted to revive this thread to comment on a very important and frequently overlooked reason why Wix/Napa oil filters SHOULD NOT be used on a Subaru engine that utilizes the Subaru OEM oil filter with a 23+psi bypass spec.

You can look on Wix's website for yourself, their oil filters such as the 57055 series (XP variant included) have a max flow output of 10 gallons per minute. The Subaru OEM oil filter has a max output of 16 gallons per minute, the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter is at 18 gallons per minute and thus can utilize a lower bypass spec.

I would not want my engine having flow restricted by the filter to the tune of 6 gallons per minute short. On that note I would presume that upon it needing that extra oil flow the filter would go into bypass. So ultimately the Wix/Napa oil filters have that bypass spec as their only upside, it's a one trick pony and the trick ain't that good. They offer industry minimum efficiency and have a flow rate restricted far more than anything Fram offers.

So, other than your paper warrior information here, do you have any proof that what you said even makes any sense? Can you even fathom how much 10 gallons per minute of oil through an engine is, let alone 16 gallons? If what you were saying as "fact" was even remotely true, there would be multiple millions of failed filters since many Subaru owners just get their oil changed at the dealer and use the equivalent of a Fram orange can with fiber end caps. Yet every one is intact and looks great... along with all of the Wix/NG 5/7055 I've ever seen and/or used. Just check out the posts here for photographic proof.

In other words, real-world usage has proven over and over that your concerns are unfounded and misleading. As a matter of fact, the 7055 has one of the best "nominal" Wix filter ratings, at 15 microns. If you don't want to buy Wix filters, fine, but don't try to spread spurious information. Maybe read up on how a positive displacement pump works as a starting point. Here's the statement from Napa, which is certainly not "industry minimum":

Originally Posted by NAPA website
Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812: 18 Grams Dirt (NAPA Gold # 1515), 99% Efficient At 23 Microns

Some Subarus do put out a lot of oil flow, more than 10 GPM if I recall correctly. Of course that's going to happen at very high RPM, which 99+% of people don"t do much of.

The high volume oil pump is part of the resson the OEM Subaru oil filters have a high bypass setting. Don't know how flow restrictive the OEM filters are, buy that could also be part of the high bypass setting.

Personally I feel that the Premium Guard PG4615 is all you need. $1.30 at RA and they at least as good or better than the OEM FRAM Subi filters. They have the 23 psi specification for the Subaru's.

I have a Wix 57055 to send out to 53'Stude for a post-mortem somewhere. I'd trust 'em if you can't get an OEM filter. Never used the PG4612 but I might for a friend's Subie once powertrain warranty is up and I switch it over to 5W-30 but so far the Idemitsu 0W-20 and OE/Wix combo has very acceptable results on a 2012 Forester.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Some Subarus do put out a lot of oil flow, more than 10 GPM if I recall correctly. Of course that's going to happen at very high RPM, which 99+% of people don"t do much of.

The high volume oil pump is part of the resson the OEM Subaru oil filters have a high bypass setting. Don't know how flow restrictive the OEM filters are, buy that could also be part of the high bypass setting.

Given the supposed high flow oil pump, you would think Subaru might put a bigger filter on ... the OEM filter for the pre-2012 cars is TINY. ( Fram 6607 sized ) All flow with poor actual filtration ?

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Given the supposed high flow oil pump, you would think Subaru might put a bigger filter on ... the OEM filter for the pre-2012 cars is TINY. ( Fram 6607 sized ) All flow with poor actual filtration ?

Could be part of it too, but Subarus seem to use a pretty high oil pump pressure relief setting, which allows the pump to force more oil through a restrictive filter and oiling system.

And yet I've never seen a Subaru die because of a filter-related issue? Spun bearings on EJ255/7 engines, sure. Leaking/blown head gaskets on pre-2007ish NA EJ25s? Sure. Excessive oil consumption on FB25s? Sure. Catastrophic damage and/or failure caused by poor filtration and/or garbage circulating because of a crappy oil filter? Not once.

Here's what race engine guys look for
So a street engine is most likely less I'd think

59D9356A-829B-498E-A116-02484B189B35.jpeg

Last edited:
kstanf, like ZeeOSix has pointed out, Subarus are a little different than most people's "reference yardstick" in that the oil pumps are insanely high output for the size and horsepower rating of the engine, and I believe same kind of overkill on water pump output as well (think 35-40 GPM at redline) for reasons known only to the original engineers it seems. But yes, 8-12GPM of oil is plenty enough to keep even a twin-turbo, stroked 'n poked BBC making over 3000HP happy... so one has to wonder why Subaru chose to tack an additional 33-50% on top of that even for their most mundane engines that make around 175HP at the crank. But, they did it. And as I posted, 30 years of history and multiple millions of successful EJ engines have soldiered on, sometimes endlessly, with an overachieving oil pump and a teeny, tiny little filter with an infinitesimally small failure rate... proven by the fact that every engineering failure that Subaru HAS had has been endlessly publicized as the end of the world. Our local mail carrier has like a '98 Legacy that has over 400k miles (likely over 95% "city" schedule and very dusty gravel roads) on Amsoil and factory blue filters and has never had the valve covers off.

IMO, worrying about too small of a filter on a Subaru ranks far below worrying about how fast your last Taco Bell meal is going to hit.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back