PP 10K oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand PP is a good oil but is it capable of an extended OCI? (Next OCI will be 10, aiming for 10-15 following UOA)I've never seen it advertised as an extended OCI oil. Vehicle will be truckbin signature

I ran ST 5w20 full synthetic for 12K and it held up great. I would run the PP at least 10k all day long, it's good stuff.

Especially if going to 12,000 miles, why not just use Mobil1 Extended Performance 0w20 ? Or even their M1 Annual Protection 0w20 (which has been discounted and has a Walmart $10 rebate too). Something with some known extra longevity.
Then, use the best oil filter you can find. Fram Ultra has the best materials, construction, filter performance.
Now you're ready to stretch out the oil changes.

Pennz Plat is not quite engineered for longer drains. It will typically do fine on normal oil change intervals.

If it's for your 2017, just use whatever meets spec and change per owner's manual schedule.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Pennz Plat is not quite engineered for longer drains.

Can your provide info to corroborate this? Or it just hearsay?

Pennz Plat is not quite engineered for longer drains. It will typically do fine on normal oil change intervals.

It may not be marketed as such, but I can't see how an A5/B5 oil isn't suitable for the same drains that the competition is.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Pennz Plat is not quite engineered for longer drains.
Can your provide info to corroborate this? Or it just hearsay?

Engineers have never claimed Platinum is good for long drain intervals like Castrol Edge Extended Performance or M1 Extended Performance or M1 Annual Protection has.
You can claim all the engineers and marketers at Pennzoil are withholding the truth if you want to engage in "hearsay". It would be "hearsay" to claim its an extended drain oil.

That said, the 5w30 Platinum does have an impressive list of qualifications (dexos1, A5/B5, HTO-06, 4718M). That 5w30 Platinum product alone could hold up well, so you have to define "long" oil change intervals, which depend on usage. Severe service, highway miles only, city miles only, short trips, etc.

While PP may do fine for 10k, as said it is not advertised as an extended interval oil.
Is Pennzoil Ultra advertised as such? I have never looked closely at it.

That said, 10k miles is a "normal" interval for many Toyota vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Garak

It may not be marketed as such, but I can't see how an A5/B5 oil isn't suitable for the same drains that the competition is.

I ran PP 5W-30 for just short 9,000 miles over 18 months in my 1996 2.0L Zetec Contour. It has the 5 speed manual tranny and I ordered with the widest factory tires and aluminum wheels, 205/60/15. It's my poor man's BMW and I drive it hard, because it's so much fun to do so, drives fast and handles great.
grin.gif
. . OCI wear metals came back great and the TBN was at 3.5, so it still had lots of life left in it. Blackstone suggested I go to 10,000 mile OCI with this oil.

Whimsey

Engineers have never claimed Platinum is good for long drain intervals like Castrol Edge Extended Performance or M1 Extended Performance or M1 Annual Protection has.

Change engineers to marketers and you're onto something. And, it's about Pennzoil withholding the truth. It's a marketing decision that customers may or may not agree with, just like the 10,000 mile M1 guarantee isn't something that everyone who ever buys a bottle of M1 takes advantage of.

Platinum, even from a marketing perspective, isn't on the same "tier" as gold bottle Edge or M1 EP. Whimsey's example is, I'm sure, not an isolated case of PP being able to go 10,000 miles. As also pointed out, that is beginning to become more normal with OEM OCIs extending as it is. Platinum and Ultra Platinum should be pushing the extended drain capabilities, but that's their decision, to their detriment or benefit. It's not a reflection on the capability of the oil.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

That said, 10k miles is a "normal" interval for many most, if not all Toyota vehicles [made in the last 15 years].

Pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back