Oil for new Ford GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was researching oil used in the new Ford GT. Owner's manual says to use a new oil - Castrol Edge Supercar 5w-50. Looking at the specs of this oil, it meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C, which is the same spec for the GT350. Looks like this Castrol oil was formulated specifically for Ford.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...52F11D78025800B0043466E/$File/BPXE-AD5SNQ.pdf

Doesn't appear to be on store shelves yet ... maybe at Ford dealerships.

A guy here in Flagstaff got the first one sold, it's nice for sure, he also has an older one. real nice guy down to earth. he lives a few doors down from me, maybe I'll stop in and chat with him if i ever see him home.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
5w 50, what WILL the thin oil boys say?

Who cares? They are probably just a speck in the rear view mirror anyways.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rainier42
Looks like this Castrol oil was formulated specifically for Ford.

I'm doubtful of that. They've had a 5w50 for a while now since previous Shelby vehicles (GT500, for example) spec'd it. The "Supercar" branding is new but is purely a marketing exercise.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Rainier42
Looks like this Castrol oil was formulated specifically for Ford.

I'm doubtful of that. They've had a 5w50 for a while now since previous Shelby vehicles (GT500, for example) spec'd it. The "Supercar" branding is new but is purely a marketing exercise.

Maybe, but the current Castrol Edge 5w50 is not a Ford WSS-M2C931-C spec'd oil. Oil that the current 5w50 replaced was spec'd for Ford WSS-M2C931-B but again, has been replaced. New Castol 5w50 has a higher ZDDP % for use in older, classic cars with flat tappets. I would not recommend running a non-Spec'd oil in a $350K+ auto.

That's because real engines and manufacturers know that thin/water oils are good for nothing but CAFE and fuel economy numbers and NOT performance or engine longevity! Doesn't Ferrari and other supercars also spec a much thicker oil? Hmmm. maybe all this thin oil stuff is related to CAFE [censored] and .000001% mpg increase....
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back