Consumer Carnauba Wax - With No Cleaner Added ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states , are there any consumer brand carnauba waxes without cleaners (i.e. Mothers , Turtle Wax , etc. ) ? ... I want to use as a top coat on a vehicle where I just used a sealant .

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax contains no cleaners.

I've been using this wax for years with satisfaction YMMV.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax contains no cleaners.

I've been using this wax for years with satisfaction YMMV.

Smoky

I used it for a long time too. I had Maaco repaint a work truck on the cheap and they used an enamel paint on it. They gave specific instructions not to wax it with a cleaner wax. They did a very nice job, and for about 10 years prior to selling it all I used was Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax on it.

Griot's Best of Show. They reformulated it recently and it is finally easy to remove.

I'm also under the impression that Meguiar's Gold Class is a pure wax.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
Collinite, I currently use 476s

^^^ my personal favorite in the winter

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I'm also under the impression that Meguiar's Gold Class is a pure wax.

I have an old can of it and I believe it was but now it has "improved" on the can so I'm not so sure about the recent stuff. It definitely has a stronger solvent smell to it than the old one.

The Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Wax does not have cleaners but does include polymers so not sure what the deal is there - as a comparison the Mother's Carnauba wax is twice as expensive ! It appears for local off the shelf availability it's Meguiar's , possibly Mother's , then on-line buys for the rest .

Collinite 476 , 845 , 915 ? ... All the numbers confuse me - the vehicles in my signature don't exactly leave the factory with a luxury, high end vehicle paint job.

Their website summarises quite nicely (http://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/):

Quote:

What’s the difference between the auto waxes; No. 845 Insulator Wax, No. 476s Super Double Coat and the No. 915 Marque D’ Elegance?
All 3 last step waxes serve the same function: to provide a high gloss carnauba shine and lasting protection. All 3 contain copious amounts of wax-both rare Brazilian carnauba and premium synthetic polymers. However, their degree of durability, ease of use, and warmth of shine vary. Think of it this way;
1. No.476s – most durable protection/weather defense. Most elbow grease required during application.
2. No. 915- 2nd most durable and slightly easier than the 476s to apply/remove. No. 915 lends our warmest shine to dark tones like navy and black due to its highest concentration of rare carnauba.
3. No. 845- easiest of the 3 to apply/remove with slightly less durability than the No. 915.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Collinite 476 , 845 , 915 ? ... All the numbers confuse me - the vehicles in my signature don't exactly leave the factory with a luxury, high end vehicle paint job.

I agree that these cars do not have the best finish from the factory.

However, I have found that wash-clay-polish-Collinite produces a nice durable shine. And the shine get better over time, after doing this every 6 months (Spring/Fall) for a couple of years.

I use Collinite Insulator wax and any good quality polish.

Last edited:
I like the Collinite line. I've tried a little bit of everything in the last 50 years. Heck, I remember when people had maybe three car waxes to choose from. Simoniz, Johnson's, and Turtle Wax. Simoniz always had the best stuff back then, especially their two step Kleener polish and Simoniz paste wax. Simoniz Vista was the first cleaner wax I ever saw. But most people back then were liable to use a kitchen wax on their cars, something like Johnson Paste Wax or Jubilee.

Later DuPont came out with a wax that was head and shoulders above the rest. Even better later was Car Skin, which I think was a Blue Corral product.

Later in the mid 70s people were jumping on Liquid Glass and Meguiars, but I discovered Collinite and have never looked back. I've sampled stuff mentioned in this thread, and while they're all pretty good, I don't understand why they charge the going rate for it when I can get Collinite cheaper and it looks and lasts better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back